• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Hampton 78-54

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/hampton/boxscore/22106

Sure, this wasn't your typical Towson rout. Yes, the defense was solid (33% shooting), but Towson forced 15 turnovers. The pressure defense in the second half turned this from a 7-point to a complete blowout, where the starters could sit with about 4:00 left.

It wasn't a pretty sight offensively. The three-point shooting (6-22) is still subpar. Gibson led the team with 13 points and finally got it going in the second half, but it wasn't due to his long-range shooting (1-5), it was because he took it to the basket and went 8-for-8 at the line. The best player on the floor was Cam Holden (11pts, 12 rebs) and when he was in foul trouble in the first half, the offense completely went into a funk. The ball doesn't move as well when Nolan is the point guard. Holden basically is the point forward 

More later with comments

I hate to make this a bitchfest about Zoom, but I'm still trying to figure this out. Need some earbuds so I can hear the players while the music is going on at the arena 10 minutes after the game is over. Then there's coaches and players freezing up during the interview that's right downstairs from me. I wanted to ask the players about Hicks and how his defensive presence changed the game, but it was tough to hear even in the recording. So at least I found out about the Juwan Gray situation. When Holden came out, we tried to go big with Paar and Thompson. That wasn't pretty. The small with Timberlake at the 4 and we gave up an offensive rebound. Then we went to Chris Biekeu and he had a nice post move and a board. Then he gave up a wide open dunk on a inbounds play. It's definitely a concern against a much bigger team in Pittsburgh.

"We're trying to bring pressure on free throw, dead ball, timeouts. It fits us a little more. I thought the ball movement
was better. We always pride ourselves on rebounding and defense. What I've learned the year before (19-20) that we
had a different skillset. We had a good efficiency team offense-wise. It helps our defense. This team, when the ball moves, 
it can be a really fun team. We had threes that just didn't go down well."

They had transfers from Providence, ODU, Nicholls State, Charleston, Del State. They have older guys."

On Nolan and Rizzutto
"Antonio is grinding it out. He's a tough kid. He's battling some injuries. We didn't practice him before Monmouth. 
Terry was better tonight because he found his shot. He has to realize that he can effect the game in other ways aside
from putting the ball in the basket in spurts tonight."

On Juwan Gray
"He had an infection from where the (Achilles) surgery was. It was a bizarre thing. It popped up after the Albany game.
It's going to take anywhere from 1-2 weeks. They have to remove the infection."

Ugly win against a bad team. Ft shooting and rebounding was good.  Need to get in transition more especially with poor shooting. Losing gray is a big loss. Do we have another scholarship with Holland MIA?  Would be nice to add someone at the end of first semester 

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Always enjoy hearing Chuck. 
6 players with 2 fouls a piece in the first half with 3 minutes left was nuts. 
I’ll enjoy this win but of course we have to shoot better from 3. 

How could I forget the officiating. Not one-sided, just completely stopped the flow in the first half and a lot of that is on us. Some offensive fouls (yes, they flopped some but got away with it). A lot of reaching. Just over-the-back stuff. We're lucky that we didn't lose Holden after he picked up that early second foul. He's one guy we can't afford to lose. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Ugly win against a bad team. Ft shooting and rebounding was good.  Need to get in transition more especially with poor shooting. Losing gray is a big loss. Do we have another scholarship with Holland MIA?  Would be nice to add someone at the end of first semester 

Who are you going to add in the middle of the year? I guess it's possible since Holland is not coming back but transfer rules, credits, I just don't see that happening. Gray is only going to be out 1-2 weeks. 

Was at the game today. Still a small sample size, but this team moves the ball around better and has better IQ on the floor than any other Skerry team I can remember. D was great. More assists than turnovers again, usually a rare occurrence for us. Hampton’s offense looked like past Towson offenses. Nice to see balanced scoring. Also, my god Timberlake has springs for feet - almost had the most ridiculous two handed tip slam I’ve seen.