• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

TL is stepping down

2 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

Gotta think both RA and PS are on notice now.  They may be safe for 2022 (Skerry through the remainder of the 22/23 season) but that could be it if the product doesnt get better.  I am happy with that pressure on them.  Getting comfortable only makes you complacent being uncomfortable is what makes you better. 

https://www.wmar2news.com/sports/towson-university-head-mens-basketball-coach-agree-to-8-year-contract-extension-

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

So you think they're only going to hire a new AD who agrees to keep PS until 2025?  I am not saying I want him gone (I don't) but if the team doesn't get better and we continue to be in the bottom half of the league there would have to be a conversation about his dismissal in 2023, rightfully so. 

8 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

So you think they're only going to hire a new AD who agrees to keep PS until 2025?  I am not saying I want him gone (I don't) but if the team doesn't get better and we continue to be in the bottom half of the league there would have to be a conversation about his dismissal in 2023, rightfully so. 

I don't know if there is a buyout clause in there, but no way are they are ever going to buy out a coach with 2-3 years left on his deal. As for bottom half of the league, sure if they struggle this season overall and in the CAA, it will be back-to-back bad seasons. And if you have three straight, then yes the seat will get warm.

could this be a big shift in the college lax world? He seemed pretty lame duck on football and basketball but not entirely sure how big his role was as the ncaa lax committee chair

3 minutes ago, Blounge said:

could this be a big shift in the college lax world? He seemed pretty lame duck on football and basketball but not entirely sure how big his role was as the ncaa lax committee chair

Didn't really think of that and he was not what you call a Lax guy. But yet, he was on the committee. Not sure this affects us a lot in terms of where we are in the lax world. If you're good and you win the CAA, you're in. Pretty simple formula. 

I'll say this about Tim. I didn't get to know him that well. Thought he was doing a nice job fundraising and with facilities. He never got to hire a new football coach (extended him after the champ game) and while he extended some coaches, he did hire Coach Richardson and made several other good hires. When you are an AD, you have to make a lot of unpopular decisions. Not saying he was the best, but we've had worse ADs. Hope that Dan gets a chance to get the regular job, but I don't know what she thinks of him and I'm sure she wants her own person in there. 

19 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

What AD would take a job knowing that they can’t replace a career 500 hoops coach with 0 ncaa appearances in over a decade at the job for Atleast 3 years?!

3 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

What AD would take a job knowing that they can’t replace a career 500 hoops coach with 0 ncaa appearances in over a decade at the job for Atleast 3 years?!

Well, it wouldn't be an AD. It would be an Associate AD from somewhere else and that person would probably be making about twice what they make currently. So for the guaranteed 4-5 years of let's say $1.5M? Yes, somebody will take it.

• Thanks 1

Exciting news! Never been a fan of TL.

If he was a fine fundraiser and administrator okay (I never noticed his impact). I'll give him the facilities did improve (I believe from state money) but he never brought winning to the major sports (football and mbb) which would drive any real growth in fundraising. The fact that the CAA went from being a good mid-major league and the best conference in the FCS to low major and second or third best in the FCS under TL's watch with no plans or ability to set us up for the latest round of realignment is on TL. Inaction is action and no plans are plans.

You don't fundraise by winning national championships in community service....

To me Flo/the CAA and middling coaching in major sports killed TL's career here but he did nothing to stop either.

WILD CARD - I've said this before on past threads Coach Rich should be the CEO of basketball. PS reports to her and she can run both programs.   Let's take that one more step.. Coach Rich should be the AD.  She actually plays (home games) and wins vs power 5 teams, has a player get drafted, won the conference, and has a successful business background. Hire her ASAP!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Exciting news! Never been a fan of TL.

If he was a fine fundraiser and administrator okay (I never noticed his impact). I'll give him the facilities did improve (I believe from state money) but he never brought winning to the major sports (football and mbb) which would drive any real growth in fundraising. The fact that the CAA went from being a good mid-major league and the best conference in the FCS to low major and second or third best in the FCS under TL's watch with no plans or ability to set us up for the latest round of realignment is on TL. Inaction is action and no plans are plans.

You don't fundraise by winning national championships in community service....

To me Flo/the CAA and middling coaching in major sports killed TL's career here but he did nothing to stop either.

WILD CARD - I've said this before on past threads Coach Rich should be the CEO of basketball. PS reports to her and she can run both programs.   Let's take that one more step.. Coach Rich should be the AD.  She actually plays (home games) and wins vs power 5 teams, has a player get drafted, won the conference, and has a successful business background. Hire her ASAP!

1)We voted against FLO. 2)He didn't hire either hoops or football coach. RA deserved to be extended. Not his fault that they struggled last few years or that he couldn't find a QB aside from Flacco. 3)State money helps but not the only reason they built a FH field, new Soccer Field, new practice facilities and new academic facilities in the field house just to name a few. Hopefully Field House extension and premium seats at the U plan will remain intact. 4)Hired a new WBB coach who did something nobody ever did before and that's win the CAA. Same can be said about the women's track coach and Vball coach. I wasn't sure about him at the beginning after following MW, but he did a solid job when you realize the hurdles he had to jump over (starting with Pres. Schaetzel).