• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

JMU waves goodbye to CAA, Towson in a 56-10 romp

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/11/20/towson-football-falls-in-season-finale-at-no-2-james-madison.aspx

Jump to the comments from RA after the game. He was not happy with the effort of some of the players. But honestly, while it matters to him. they are just better at just about every position. The special teams mistake at the beginning of the game. We weren't great on kick coverage this year, but that was utterly horrific to give up a return up the middle twice, once not even touched.

Opening Comments
Disappointing loss to a very good football team. I don't care how good they are. Never put up in losing like...the majority
of our team fought their butts off and cared greatly. That's all I'm going to say."

On JMU
This program has been ready for FBS the last five year. They have a multi-million football building, 30,000 seat stadium,
the entire university is aligned with that goal and I'm sure they are going to do quite well."

On season's impressions
I was impressed with the relationships between our guys, the coaches and the players. This has been two years of borderline hell to be a college athlete and doing what we do. There are more injuries the last two years on teams in America because of what happened to these kids. They have to live with this forever. I'm thoroughly impressed withhow hard they worked for each other. Relatively please with O-line play. I thought the running game got better. Missed Kobe Young, missed AP (Platt). Did a pretty good job of working with who we had. Jerry knocked some rust off as the year went on and he got better and better. Disappointed in the passing game. In the quarterbacks. Turned the ball over too many times. Dumb turnovers that led to points that put us in holes that made us lose games. Encouraged by the defensive front on occasion but we were very inconsistent. Very disappointed in the back end of the passing game and today really showed it. We weren't fast. We weren't smart. It was disappointing. 

On not playing spring and injuries
"Helped a lot. Anybody that played in the spring, all the kids are beat up. Some they lost early and they came up. In 10 years, people will go back and the injury rate will be very high."

On W&M loss
"We turned the ball and gave up big plays in the first quarter. With the roster we have right now, we have to play all 60 minutes and efficient football. In games where we did that, we won. Didn't turn it over. Smart on defense, efficient on third down. We won. On games where we didn't against W&M, we don't show up on defense in the first quarter, we don't tackle. The opening kickoff. It's incredibly frustrating to see somebody in the rear end of their career, not try and squeeze the most juice on every play possible. I love our guys. It's not just about winning championships. It's about winning a play, WInning a quarter. Playing with your guys. Didn't have enough of that.

On QB situation
"I've seen some good things out of Nate (Kent) and out of Vinny (Amendola). I don't know what Jeff is going to do. It's going to be pretty wide open. Come next year, the roster is going to look entirely different."

On senior class
"The most unusual. The oldest. The tightest. It's frustrating to lose and I'm ticked. They are really close, but that's not  how I want to send them out."

On the spring
It's not the NFL. I can't replace the entire roster in January. It will help some of the guys that are here. But the summer is going to be twice as important. With the transfer portal and the NCAA football be model. That's going to be the most important for everybody from now on. From the end of spring until August. It's a new world."

On Jerry Howard
As a person and as a teammate. I would love to have Jerry Howard on my team every single day of the week. I can say the same thing about Chris Ferguson. Anybody. I love these guys. He's a big strong kid who loves football. Is very smart and makes everybody around him better.

Nobody on here was surprised with this result. Yes, they were going to run it up some and they did a bit, then wisely put in their second-string QB in the fourth quarter, because what's the difference between 56-10 and 76-10. It's all the same. They smoked us. I think Rob was disappointed in the effort on the kickoff returns and the back end of the defense (no Mark Collins again). It was just too easy like playing 7-on-7. Losing to a better team with more speed and talent? Fine. Lack of effort at times. Not acceptable. Fourth string QB? Nathan Kent. Didn't see that coming but might as well get him some action. He has some wheels. No way on of the QBs on the roster are starting in the summer. Miller might be the guy who just graduates and leaves.

3 minutes ago, TigerFan54 said:

CF "makes everybody around him better"?? If that's the case, why were we so ineffective so often?

He meant Jerry Howard. I think you misinterpreted that statement. He was basically saying I don't just love Jerry Howard.

13 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Heading to the Pit next season.  Sept 17th. 
Bucknell as well.  Exciting times ahead. 

West Virginia and Bucknell on the road. Morgan at home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Lol this is a bottom tier program. 

So, we all watch a promising season turn into a catastropheand and you laugh? How about some constructive comments (ie safety play, corners, etc)instead of the constant name calling lol’s.  What are you, 12? Get it? “Lol”

Edited by RundaPower
  • Haha 1