• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

New AD Thread

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Just a guess, but I assume she will apply. She is in charge of football there. Though she is making about the same as TL was so they would have to increase that.

https://umterps.com/staff-directory/colleen-sorem/257

A STRONG RESOUNDING NO to Colleen Sorem. She is despised by the mens teams at Maryland. They feel she does not support them.  At all!!!!! As the coach I spoke to said  "check out her Titter page." There is little to no promotion for any male team.  Including their very successful mens soccer team. Diane Richardson would be a great choice, although she was a home run hire and I would hate to see her give up the womens basketball job.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TUvet said:

A STRONG RESOUNDING NO to Colleen Sorem. She is despised by the mens teams at Maryland. They feel she does not support them.  At all!!!!! As the coach I spoke to said  "check out her Titter page." There is little to no promotion for any male team.  Including their very successful mens soccer team. Diane Richardson would be a great choice, although she was a home run hire and I would hate to see her give up the womens basketball job.  

I've heard similar things here, but I just assume she will be a candidate if she wants it. Diane Richardson just went through a scary situation with COVID, I doubt she wants the stress of this job, unless she's ready to retire as a basketball coach. In that case, I'd be all for her considering her business background.

Also, I hate to say it, but the most important thing aside from academics, integrity, etc. is to market the football and basketball teams. If she/he can get the students and some fans out to the Olympic sports, that's great. To market the revenue sports, they need a winner. 

I think we need to look further south for the next AD.  Pluck an assistant AD from an SEC or Sunbelt school who is ready to take the next step in the career as the top AD.  We need someone who comes from a culture in which football is truly treated as the lifeblood of the athletic department, with men's hoops being a close second.  

• Like 4

We need to hope Sorem is never anywhere near the AD chair. I know firsthand how sexist she is toward men's sports. I also know firsthand her willingness to let women's sports be unaccountable for poor decision making. She would be a total disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!

58 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

We need to hope Sorem is never anywhere near the AD chair. I know firsthand how sexist she is toward men's sports. I also know firsthand her willingness to let women's sports be unaccountable for poor decision making. She would be a total disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really?  Yikes. We all better hope not, especially knowing what we do about the president..

Is there someone in the Baltimore Media scene that could be the face of Towson in public as the AD with a strong administrator behind that person to do the grunt work? Thinking something similar to Bobby Valentine at Sacred Heart

I really think we need someone who "knows who Towson is". We should not be worried about keeping up with the Joneses. We need to be the best we can be for who we are. That does not mean accepting mediocrity. We need to get folks in places who know how to maximize the resources we have. We also need someone who the name "Towson", means something to, beyond just a step toward their next job. I know many of you like Waddell, but the financial position he put Towson in (and he was gone by the time the S*** hit the fan) made the next persons job more than difficult. While Waddell had many positives, he clearly was going to be gone and what he did here was more superficial than anything else. We should use the change that has been made at WElson as an example. Their AD has done an amazing job, and from my understanding, the only reason he is not at Towson is because we would not meet his price tag. Had we done so, we would have made up the difference several times over. 

That person is hard to find, but clearly worth the time and money in the search. Go with the interim until you find the right person...it may take longer than you would hope and cause some minor difficulties along the way, but we need a long term answer. 

Being the NC State to UNC or Michigan State to Michigan as Dr. Caret proposed will never happen. Being Baltimore's College Team is a great slogan, but in reality makes little difference. Baltimore is a city where people are more proud of the high school they went to rather than Towson University. I don't know how to do it, which is why I am not an AD......., but there is a mixture of fiscal responsibility, student athlete experience and pubic relations that no one has found yet....and when you find that person who understands what it takes, be ready to pay. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tgr4life said:

I really think we need someone who "knows who Towson is". We should not be worried about keeping up with the Joneses. We need to be the best we can be for who we are. That does not mean accepting mediocrity. We need to get folks in places who know how to maximize the resources we have. We also need someone who the name "Towson", means something to, beyond just a step toward their next job. I know many of you like Waddell, but the financial position he put Towson in (and he was gone by the time the S*** hit the fan) made the next persons job more than difficult. While Waddell had many positives, he clearly was going to be gone and what he did here was more superficial than anything else. We should use the change that has been made at WElson as an example. Their AD has done an amazing job, and from my understanding, the only reason he is not at Towson is because we would not meet his price tag. Had we done so, we would have made up the difference several times over. 

That person is hard to find, but clearly worth the time and money in the search. Go with the interim until you find the right person...it may take longer than you would hope and cause some minor difficulties along the way, but we need a long term answer. 

Being the NC State to UNC or Michigan State to Michigan as Dr. Caret proposed will never happen. Being Baltimore's College Team is a great slogan, but in reality makes little difference. Baltimore is a city where people are more proud of the high school they went to rather than Towson University. I don't know how to do it, which is why I am not an AD......., but there is a mixture of fiscal responsibility, student athlete experience and pubic relations that no one has found yet....and when you find that person who understands what it takes, be ready to pay. 

What’s a WEIson?