• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Holden leads MBB over Penn 76-61

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=370329

Cam Holden scored 20 points, grabbed 19 rebounds and dished out eight assists in leading Towson to a 15-point win over Penn on Tuesday afternoon. He became the first D1 player in nearly 11 years with 20 points, 19 rebounds and eight assists in a game. Terry Nolan had his best game as a Towson Tiger, hitting a career-high 25 points. With Antonio Rizzuto and Jason Gibson out, freshman Radhir Hicks received the start and recorded four points, four steals and three turnovers in 32 minutes.

The Tigers were leading by 30 with 6:33 left when they pulled Nolan and then Holden came out about a minute later. However, Penn cut the lead to 20 and both returned at the under 4:00 left. But the lack of a bench with three key players out showed and could be an issue in Las Vegas. The ball movement was pretty crisp again (13 assists), however, three-point shooting (4-17) continues to be a problem and it certainly didn't help that Gray, Rizzuto, and Gibson were out.

Towson heads to the Las Vegas Invitational for a Thursday night (9:30ET) meeting with San Francisco on FS1 and will play Friday against the New Mexico/UAB winner.

• Like 1

Glad to see Hicks shine in his first start. He Has a lot of confidence for a freshman. Jason Gibson and Antonio Rizzuto have some serious competition at point guard. I liked him running the offense, but hope gibby and tone can get healthy and they all can contribute. I though Parr had his best game as a tiger as well. Worried about our depth going into the tough games in the Vegas trip. Could be a good experience for younger guys to play in big matchups. Pleased with the win today. Hope for continued success moving forward 

4 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Glad to see Hicks shine in his first start. He Has a lot of confidence for a freshman. Jason Gibson and Antonio Rizzuto have some serious competition at point guard. I liked him running the offense, but hope gibby and tone can get healthy and they all can contribute. I though Parr had his best game as a tiger as well. Worried about our depth going into the tough games in the Vegas trip. Could be a good experience for younger guys to play in big matchups. Pleased with the win today. Hope for continued success moving forward 

Rizzuto is more of a 2/3 and Gibson can play off the ball. If Hicks can limit the turnovers and just hit a few jumpers, he'll play 15-20 mpg when Gibson comes back.

Nice win over a tired team. Tigers having 3 scholarship players out and another defector, evened it out. 
Cam was incredible. 
very good run from the under 8 timeout in first half spanning the first half of the second. Shooting from the outside was again poor but missing some of the “better” shooters certainly didn’t help.  Need to continue to push the pace and get those steals out in transition 

I’m not sure if even Benimon had such a dominant game as Holden did today. He’s unquestionably the best player we’ve had since Benimon. If Nolan can play going forward even close to how he played today, well, that’s a nice 1-2 punch. The 3rd scoring threat can rotate from game-to-game; one night Rizzuto, one night Gray ….  I’m trying to keep this in perspective, as this was against a presumably tired Penn team, who I’m not sure how good they are in the first place, but we were also without Gibson, Rizzuto and Gray. 

That run to start the 2nd half was a thing to behold, but let’s see where we are after we leave Las Vegas 

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m not sure if even Benimon had such a dominant game as Holden did today. He’s unquestionably the best player we’ve had since Benimon. If Nolan can play going forward even close to how he played today, well, that’s a nice 1-2 punch. The 3rd scoring threat can rotate from game-to-game; one night Rizzuto, one night Gray ….  I’m trying to keep this in perspective, as this was against a presumably tired Penn team, who I’m not sure how good they are in the first place, but we were also without Gibson, Rizzuto and Gray. 

That run to start the 2nd half was a thing to behold, but let’s see where we are after we leave Las Vegas 

He has something like 24 and 22 against Oregon state and a few other 20 point 15 rebound games. 
penn is the only team we’ve beaten so far with a win… they likely aren’t awful but not good by any means.  Dingle is a good scorer. Lack of depth is going to hurt us as 4 of the next 5 games are difficult to say the least

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

He has something like 24 and 22 against Oregon state and a few other 20 point 15 rebound games. 
penn is the only team we’ve beaten so far with a win… they likely aren’t awful but not good by any means.  Dingle is a good scorer. Lack of depth is going to hurt us as 4 of the next 5 games are difficult to say the least

Benimon had 20 points, 21 boards and 2 assists vs Oregon State. Is that our only P5 W in the Skerry era, or am I forgetting any?

Penn took a very good Utah State team to OT.  Projected top 2 in the Ivy, and the Ivy is much improved in basketball.....

Not sure if any of you listened to Skerry and Spiro's video where they recapped Pitt and discussed the Penn game.  This was one of the few times I've heard Skerry mention offense in detail.....He emphasized spacing and ball movement as opposed to his canned response of "guard and rebound."   It seems that Skerry gets it this year and that you can still preach rebounding and guarding, but that will only get you so far without skill.  This team looks better than any other Skerry team - including when we had Benimon. Even those teams lacked guard play and ball movement like this team has displayed.  One last point on Skerry, he also emphasized getting the team on national TV - I love this vision, I feel it didn't really exist before....

Holden is unbelievable- what a skill set.  He can bring the ball up the court.  He's unselfish.  He rebounds.  He can shoot, AND he might be our best passer.  Nolan has a ton of talent and athleticism and will find his way.  Rizzuto will turn it around.  These 3 transfers (+ Hicks) have breathed a ton of life into a program that has been arguably one of the worst D1 programs over the course of the last 20-25 years.

Edited by tu_fan