Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Las Vegas Invitational preview

University of San Francisco 

Bill Russell 

KC Jones 

Phil Smith 

Chubby Cox (Kobe’s Uncle)

Bill Cartwright (who lives next to campus and attends all home games) (Walks my neighborhood..  great man)

Aside from those players I think of Quintin Dailey (Cardinal Gibbons) and all the controversy with the rape allegations and then the entire basketball program being shutdown..  I personally think he was wrongly accused!

Now for the 2021-22 squad..

Jamaree Bouyea is an NBA prospect who I think will have a long career similar to Patty Mills..  second round selection.

He is not afraid to shoot it from Curry range and he’s just so smooth going to the rim.  He’s gonna get his points but the key is to limit him setting up all “3” big men who will come up and screen for him then roll to the basket.

Khalil Shabazz is a microwave at times but hasn’t really shot it consistently from beyond the arc in 6 games.  He’s the fastest guard I’ve seen so I can’t wait to see Hicks defend him   Gotta force Shabby to shoot from the corners.

Gabe Stefanini is a glue guy and plays like a grizzled veteran..  groin issue so not sure how much we see of him   He’d be the guy to guard Holden so hence his absence really could change the outcome of this game in my opinion.

Patrick Tape plays solid defense and does the dirty work.   He’s had issues with his hands on the offensive end.  6’10” glue guy.

Massalski is 6’9” and our poor man’s Sabonis.   Has some post moves and can attach the basket but prone to turnovers and silly moving screens etc   
Awful at the free throw line.  That all being said he could easily be an All WCC selection this season.  Thompson and Paar will have their hands full.

Bench…

Julian Rishwain can create his own shot and is a really good shooter.   Loses his man on defense a ton.  

Dmitri Ryuny was out 4 months with an ankle injury.  Can really stroke it from 3 when he’s on.   Another guy who struggles on defense.

Josh Kunen really can stroke it from 3 as well.  Solid defender.  Aussie glue guy as well.

Markovetssky is 7’2” and does a nice job inside…  good foul shooter and must be boxed out as he seems to get easy out backs a lot   

To beat USF..  full court press them early and often so they can’t get into their offense until 15 Seconds left on the shot clock and that forces Bouyea to play 1 on 1 which he’s good at but it will wear him down.

You can’t let them go on runs of hitting 3’s..  timeouts to break up their rhythm a must.   Like Gonzaga they play at a fast pace.

Very susceptible to back door cuts and losing their man and athletic slasher type players have hurt them.

If Towson can defend and not let USF shoot 35% or better from 3 then it will be a 8-10 point loss!  

USF is just too big up front and Towson doesn’t have enough to defend that   

3 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

University of San Francisco 

Bill Russell 

KC Jones 

Phil Smith 

Chubby Cox (Kobe’s Uncle)

Bill Cartwright (who lives next to campus and attends all home games) (Walks my neighborhood..  great man)

Aside from those players I think of Quintin Dailey (Cardinal Gibbons) and all the controversy with the rape allegations and then the entire basketball program being shutdown..  I personally think he was wrongly accused!

Now for the 2021-22 squad..

Jamaree Bouyea is an NBA prospect who I think will have a long career similar to Patty Mills..  second round selection.

He is not afraid to shoot it from Curry range and he’s just so smooth going to the rim.  He’s gonna get his points but the key is to limit him setting up all “3” big men who will come up and screen for him then roll to the basket.

Khalil Shabazz is a microwave at times but hasn’t really shot it consistently from beyond the arc in 6 games.  He’s the fastest guard I’ve seen so I can’t wait to see Hicks defend him   Gotta force Shabby to shoot from the corners.

Gabe Stefanini is a glue guy and plays like a grizzled veteran..  groin issue so not sure how much we see of him   He’d be the guy to guard Holden so hence his absence really could change the outcome of this game in my opinion.

Patrick Tape plays solid defense and does the dirty work.   He’s had issues with his hands on the offensive end.  6’10” glue guy.

Massalski is 6’9” and our poor man’s Sabonis.   Has some post moves and can attach the basket but prone to turnovers and silly moving screens etc   
Awful at the free throw line.  That all being said he could easily be an All WCC selection this season.  Thompson and Paar will have their hands full.

Bench…

Julian Rishwain can create his own shot and is a really good shooter.   Loses his man on defense a ton.  

Dmitri Ryuny was out 4 months with an ankle injury.  Can really stroke it from 3 when he’s on.   Another guy who struggles on defense.

Josh Kunen really can stroke it from 3 as well.  Solid defender.  Aussie glue guy as well.

Markovetssky is 7’2” and does a nice job inside…  good foul shooter and must be boxed out as he seems to get easy out backs a lot   

To beat USF..  full court press them early and often so they can’t get into their offense until 15 Seconds left on the shot clock and that forces Bouyea to play 1 on 1 which he’s good at but it will wear him down.

You can’t let them go on runs of hitting 3’s..  timeouts to break up their rhythm a must.   Like Gonzaga they play at a fast pace.

Very susceptible to back door cuts and losing their man and athletic slasher type players have hurt them.

If Towson can defend and not let USF shoot 35% or better from 3 then it will be a 8-10 point loss!  

USF is just too big up front and Towson doesn’t have enough to defend that   

Man if you aren’t on the tigers… idk what to think haha

• Haha 1

pains me to agree w/ 2012 lol, but this one feels like a 15-20 L.  CT & Cam a bit small to hit those hooks against the Dons.  We'd need to hit the long ball well, to very well tonight....and just not enuff scoring power/options without Gibby & Rizz.  Would need everyone playing well & shooting well. 

routing for the win; investing for the loss.    #hopeiamwrong.  happy thanksgiving

3 minutes ago, TTiger2024 said:

pains me to agree w/ 2012 lol, but this one feels like a 15-20 L.  CT & Cam a bit small to hit those hooks against the Dons.  We'd need to hit the long ball well, to very well tonight....and just not enuff scoring power/options without Gibby & Rizz.  Would need everyone playing well & shooting well. 

routing for the win; investing for the loss.    #hopeiamwrong.  happy thanksgiving

Yup. 32 hasn’t been good this year or on the glass. We can never win on the long ball alone