• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

CAA Football news

Ugh. Guess we are stuck in this conference for the long haul.  Monmouth, sb and a&t were solid adds on the courts/fields.

Howard obviously is a good academic institution but why did Joey d add 5 teams for the one that left?? 14 teams in a mid major conference is absurd. It’s going to hurt the better teams more often than not. This isn’t the sec or acc where we are adding teams to get 6-8 bids to the ncaa tournament or even larger fanbases and tv markets. Seriously what is the end game in all of this?? 

47 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Ugh. Guess we are stuck in this conference for the long haul.  Monmouth, sb and a&t were solid adds on the courts/fields.

Howard obviously is a good academic institution but why did Joey d add 5 teams for the one that left?? 14 teams in a mid major conference is absurd. It’s going to hurt the better teams more often than not. This isn’t the sec or acc where we are adding teams to get 6-8 bids to the ncaa tournament or even larger fanbases and tv markets. Seriously what is the end game in all of this?? 

Interesting point. I don’t know how many 14 team conferences there are, but I would tend to think that few if any are 1 bid conferences. So now, instead of trying to claw our way past 9 teams to go to the big dance, we’ll have to compete with 13 other schools. I wonder if the thought is that other CAA schools might be leaving the conference, and this is a way to backfill ahead of time 

So, starting in 23-24, when Howard comes aboard, 2 7-team divisions in basketball? NE, SB, Monmouth, Hofstra, Delaware, Drexel and Towson; Howard, W&M, Hampton, UNCW, Elon, NCA&T, and C of C in the other? 

Maybe play each team in your division 2X and play each team in the other division 1X, for a total of 19 conference games (which is only more than we currently play).

If this turns out to be the configuration, I think on paper we’d be in the tougher division 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Interesting point. I don’t know how many 14 team conferences there are, but I would tend to think that few if any are 1 bid conferences. So now, instead of trying to claw our way past 9 teams to go to the big dance, we’ll have to compete with 13 other schools. I wonder if the thought is that other CAA schools might be leaving the conference, and this is a way to backfill ahead of time 

The only 3 schools that would be leaving would be Delaware due to football and Charleston and Uncw to a hoops conference. Fcs football is pretty much dead as is whatever we are putting on the field recently so I don’t want to be in a conference if those 3 schools aren’t. 

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The only 3 schools that would be leaving would be Delaware due to football and Charleston and Uncw to a hoops conference. Fcs football is pretty much dead as is whatever we are putting on the field recently so I don’t want to be in a conference if those 3 schools aren’t. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Delaware has aspirations beyond the CAA. UNCW & C of C …🤷‍♂️  I would think the desirability of both those schools to other conferences might be limited by the fact they don’t play football. I also wonder if W&M might be interested in more of a Patriot League type of conference 

As long as Kenny Blakeney stays at Howard, their basketball program will be a force. The rest of the program has issues. If this move happens, they will need to put more money into it.
Now if the CAA had a legitimate TV deal, adding the DC market would make sense. You would think all these new schools would have better ideas about getting on TV preferably on MASN or NBC Sports Washington again.

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Delaware has aspirations beyond the CAA. UNCW & C of C …🤷‍♂️  I would think the desirability of both those schools to other conferences might be limited by the fact they don’t play football. I also wonder if W&M might be interested in more of a Patriot League type of conference 

That’s why they added all these schools just in case W&M jumps or other schools. Why would Delaware leave? They can own this conference in football and basketball and they are the only school that currently gives cost of attendance for football.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

That’s why they added all these schools just in case W&M jumps or other schools. Why would Delaware leave? They can own this conference in football and basketball and they are the only school that currently gives cost of attendance for football.

Well, JMU owned the conference, in terms of football, but they jumped ship. I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that an ambitious AD, combined with well heeled alum donors, could steer Delaware in a different direction