• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

Getting back to the rings. Nothing wrong with critiquing why this program hasn't won anything in nearly 30 years until last season. Nothing wrong with saying the next step has to be winning the tournament. That's obvious. But they should be promoting the shit out of winning the regular season and hats off to PS for doing that on Twitter. Ring the hell out of it. That shouldn't necessarily be his job but somebody has to do it. And I get that we're an athletic department in flux with a new AD, who has to hire two senior associate ADs very shortly. 

Yet, promoting something that wins is the key. You can only do so much after a 4-7 football season and I like the fact that they have the open practice on Saturday night. And you should put Piggy out front of the promotions due to his years at Maryland, but again, RA hasn't named a starting QB, so there's that. Maybe when he's named starter (probably), they'll start using his name in promotional ads. There's also a few other things I'd be doing on the website and that's a thread for another time.

But we all have the same goal. It does get tiresome at times when hearing the negativity (not talking about the cheesy comment by B-Lounge) in basketball. Especially now. We were kicked around for 10 years or so on CAA Zone and deservedly so in some cases because we had one of the shittiest programs in the nation in hoops and football was up-and-down like a rollercoaster, though mostly down. Everyone on here or most know what we went through as fans. That was tough as hell to take from aholes from programs that we used to respect. I would hope that PS keeps it up the Tweeting. It's a positive thing and something we need more from the athletic department. 

I hate to be the pied piper of Towson positivity, but I'm still trying to create a vibe when things are good in hoops. We had 15 straight seasons of losing and a conference record under 30%. It's been a long ride, but this present staff has knocked down a bunch of doors and has just one to go. It's my own fault that I haven't done enough on social media, especially Twitter to promote this site. I'll try and do a better job this season. Hopefully, football creates some kind of buzz.

I don't want a medal. I can't say I love going to 6-8 off-season practices in football and hoops. Getting up early when I could use some extra sleep. I do it because I love this program and want to promote that shit out of it as best I can. I want people to know if the backup point guard is any good or if the freshmen can play or not. Somebody has to. Not going to get that from The Sun or any other publication or radio station.

I do appreciate everyone who comes on here and gives their opinions. Sorry that I can be an ahole as well when it comes to dissenting ones. I think we're all passionate about it and that's a good thing. I really hope that this upcoming 2022-23 season will be a special one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

promotion has always been poor. Would be nice to have more home games that students can attend but I’ll take games on the road against good teams rather than Morgan Umbc and goucher at home. Should be a very good and exciting team which hopefully gets more than the 700 usually butts in seats 

Pat on Twitter is good. He’s been engaging with other fan bases too. 
NCAA or bust.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blounge said:

Thank you! All I said was Pat Skerry posts cheesy videos yet somehow the negative Nancy folk on this board read my comment as “Might be the only fanbase that would take a dump on winning a regular season championship and earning a ring for those efforts.”

sheesh find some joy in your lives people

My barb wasn't as a result of your comment.  Perhaps if we had won an Oscar...

1 hour ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Yes NCAA or bust. For his twitter, it's cringy to me.. just give an intern the login.

No doubt that is the ultimate goal and determinant on whether this season is a success or not. 

He’s a mid 40 year old father of two. He’s gonna be cringy and corny. Atleast he is putting himself out there and that will help the program.  

NCAA Tournament is the main goal, but my checklist for the year would be:

1) Win at least nine games in non-conference play
2) Beat at least one of Northern Iowa, Clemson or UMass (who should be a lot better this year under Frank Martin)
3) Finish in the top 80 of the NET ranking (preferably top 60)
4) Win a second regular-season title (and try to do it in a somewhat dominant fashion)
5) Make the finals of the conference tournament (since we haven't done that since 1992)
6) Make the NCAA Tournament

I realize No. 6 is the main goal, but these other checkmarks are part of the journey of a successful season. I would be ecstatic if we made the NCAA Tournament and will celebrate it with everyone else here, but frankly I would be disappointed if we made the tournament as 15 or 16 (I know beggars can't be choosers) and got crushed.

I think it is important to beat good teams to build experience to gain confidence in those situations, build a good resume to give ourselves a shot to be decently seeded if we can make the tournament, and try to establish some dominance in the conference. Frankly, I think having the NCAA Tournament be the only thing that defines success is short-sighted, but yes like the rest of you it will be a disappointment if we don't make it.

We started hitting a lot of checkmarks of being a successful program last year, but obviously missed the big one. I think we need to hold our program to the standard that all these things should be expected and the more checkmarks we hit during the year the better shot we have of being ready to achieve our goal of the making the NCAA Tournament, and who knows maybe winning a game. That is the way we should be thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

NCAA Tournament is the main goal, but my checklist for the year would be:

1) Win at least nine games in non-conference play
2) Beat at least one of Northern Iowa, Clemson or UMass (who should be a lot better this year under Frank Martin)
3) Finish in the top 80 of the NET ranking (preferably top 60)
4) Win a second regular-season title (and try to do it in a somewhat dominant fashion)
5) Make the finals of the conference tournament (since we haven't done that since 1992)
6) Make the NCAA Tournament

I realize No. 6 is the main goal, but these other checkmarks are part of the journey of a successful season. I would be ecstatic if we made the NCAA Tournament and will celebrate it with everyone else here, but frankly I would be disappointed if we made the tournament as 15 or 16 (I know beggars can't be choosers) and got crushed.

I think it is important to beat good teams to build experience to gain confidence in those situations, build a good resume to give ourselves a shot to be decently seeded if we can make the tournament, and try to establish some dominance in the conference. Frankly, I think having the NCAA Tournament be the only thing that defines success is short-sighted, but yes like the rest of you it will be a disappointment if we don't make it.

We started hitting a lot of checkmarks of being a successful program last year, but obviously missed the big one. I think we need to hold our program to the standard that all these things should be expected and the more checkmarks we hit during the year the better shot we have of being ready to achieve our goal of the making the NCAA Tournament, and who knows maybe winning a game. That is the way we should be thinking. 

If we are in the caa we are getting a 15 seed guaranteed. That goes for every caa program. A 14 would be a reach. 
Stating that reaching the ncaa and getting crushes would be disappointing?! Really?!  Sure if we had a late lead and yakked it up, but the ultimate goal for any mid major team is to dance. Plain and simple. The league hasn’t won a real game since the Virginia schools left and frankly most weren’t close (getting 14/15 seeds hurts). Those really good Uncw teams were the last chance the caa had of picking up a win.

500 shouldn’t be the goal in conference play. Sorry. We have to much experience and quality players coming back for 500. The net will take care of itself with our solid scheduling this year. 
Every team in the caa (prior to the newbies joining now) has played in or won the caa final since skerry has been here except us. It is now or never. 

17 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If we are in the caa we are getting a 15 seed guaranteed. That goes for every caa program. A 14 would be a reach. 
Stating that reaching the ncaa and getting crushes would be disappointing?! Really?!  Sure if we had a late lead and yakked it up, but the ultimate goal for any mid major team is to dance. Plain and simple. The league hasn’t won a real game since the Virginia schools left and frankly most weren’t close (getting 14/15 seeds hurts). Those really good Uncw teams were the last chance the caa had of picking up a win.

500 shouldn’t be the goal in conference play. Sorry. We have to much experience and quality players coming back for 500. The net will take care of itself with our solid scheduling this year. 
Every team in the caa (prior to the newbies joining now) has played in or won the caa final since skerry has been here except us. It is now or never. 

Fair enough, but I would point out that we were in position to be seeded No. 13 or 14 last year if we had made the tournament, and Lunardi's bracketology has us at No. 13 projected going into the year. If people who know nothing about our school and conference can project us there, I certainly don't think it is unrealistic. Also, if we are not beating quality non-conference opponents and playing really well in conference play I actually will have less confidence we will make the NCAA Tournament. These things are all connected. I will continue to point out the limiting viewpoint of the NCAA Tournament or bust mentality. I am more focused on making what happened last year more of the norm, and developing the mentality to breakthrough and make it to the NCAA Tournament. 

Was the .500 being goal a response to my comment or a general one, because I didn't ever say only .500 was a goal? I personally would like to us assert ourselves and win a regular-season title comfortably, but out off all the goals I listed that might be the most unrealistic based on the fact that it is not the way we roll and with Monmouth and Stony Brook this conference has probably gotten quite a big more competitive. Of course, getting to a conference tournament final feels like the toughest accomplishment since we haven't done it since 1992 I believe. 

My main point is if Skerry wins 20+ games, has us in the NET top 80 and wins a regular-season title this year, but does not make the NCAA Tournament I will not be calling to replace him. Year-to-year program quality is what we are aiming for, and while the NCAA Tournament is ultimately part of that I will have faith that if we keep enhancing our reputation and raising the level of play as we started doing last year we will get there. More importantly than the NCAA Tournament is that we all look forward to watching this team play every year and have teams that can realistically win conference titles (and have an NCAA Tournament berth as possibility) on an annual basis. It won't happen every year, but last year should be closer to the norm not an aberration.

That being said, I will be just as gutted as the rest of you if we have a year like last year and can't finish it off with a trip to the NCAA Tournament.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Very solid article. Good to see some of the other team write-ups and expectations with some detail.  

The concern the writer raises about Sylla is a valid one. From the clips I watched on video (not that I am any sort of expert), the same lack of perimeter game jumped out to me and obviously it is easier to score at that size at D2 than D1. I still think he will be a very solid player, but when I hear D2 Player of the Year it feels like a transformational impact player and Sylla feels more like a solid piece to round us out. That still probably works, but just worth noting from an expectation standpoint.

Mat, I believe you have been saying since he announced he was coming to Towson, but Conway feels like the potential transformational piece. However, I do agree with some of who have expressed concerns about the layoff. This team will be good. I am just wondering if we are fighting for the top spot in the conference and hoping to get there good, or if all of long suffering fans could finally witness a team good enough to emphatically win a conference crown. Feels like the first one, but that is why I am looking forward to having the season start to answer some of the questions.

Let's hope football can do well, and get the ball rolling in a good direction to get us primed and ready for a strong hoops season (I do realize one has nothing to do with each other, just we be nice to get the positive vibes started early).