• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

Going to try and keep this as one solid thread up all year just to talk about the hoops program in general. Players of the Week, injuries, stat freak stuff, etc., can start here. 

Let me start here with a few interesting stats in the first seven games:

Pace of play: 289

A little surprised at that number, because I think we're running off of steals and most rebounds. But when we get the big lead late in games against Albany, Hampton or New Mexico, understandably we're holding it. Maybe a little too early for my taste, but that's where the tempo slows down.

Holden is leading in points per game (16.6), steals with 14 (2spg), rebounds with 11.0, and is second in assists with 19, while shooting 50.6% (38.1% 3pt). Shooting 68.3% from the line. Lead in turnovers with 14.

Nolan is averaging 13.4ppg, 3.1rpg, 3.1apg, has 11 steals and is shooting 39% from the field, 25% from 3pt and 60.6% from the line.

Timberlake is averaging 13ppg, shooting 38% from the field, 40% (14-35) from beyond the arc, 74% from the line with 3.9 rebounds.

Gibson in just four games is shooting 9 of 26 from the field (34.6%), 5-17 from 3pt (29.4%), 13-15 FT with 8 assists and 4 turnovers and seven steals with 9ppg.

Rizzuto in four games is shooting 25% from the field and 3-16 (19%) from the three-point line. 7ppg, 4rpg

Thompson is averaging 5.7ppg, and just 3.9rpg with 8 blocks on 51.7% shooting and 10-17 (59%) from the line.

Paar is averaging 5.3ppg, 3.9rpg on 54.5% shooting with 5 blocks.

Hicks is averaging 2.4ppg in 22.1mpg. Shooting 29% from the field and 0-5 from 3pt. 5-8 from the line. Second on the team with 12 steals.

*Gray before the injury issue was averaging 9ppg and 3.5 prg on 6-of-9 shooting and 2-3 from the 3-point line.

If Gray can give you 8-9ppg and 4rpg off the bench, he can give Holden a 10-15mpg breather. And can stretch the floor as a S4.

When Gibson and Rizzuto return, they have to shoot better or their minutes will decrease from around 22-23mpg to around 15mpg. Hick was getting a lot less minutes than they were off the bench. But I don't know how you don't give Hicks at least 20mpg right now. It probably doesn't matter if he starters or not, but Nolan is not a pure PG and Hicks has six turnovers and 10 assists so far. Six turnovers in seven games is pretty freakin' good for a freshman even if he's not always the primary ballhandler. At least we'll have options.

This is good stuff.  
I think by season end..  CT, Paar & Hicks will all be averaging more points per game as they get into conference play and opposing teams focus on Holden and Nolan. 

Thursday against Long Island (1-4 currently)  They have shot 32-122 from beyond the arc thus far.  We need to continue to buzz around (Hicks) and force them into bad long distance shots. 

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

6-24 against the Chickens tonight.  Must win Thursday or else PS!!!!

They have 3 big forwards and not much bench. Hofstra transfer kante is there. 
Pitt who sucks and can’t and won’t shoot threes made a few against us..

11 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

This is good stuff.  
I think by season end..  CT, Paar & Hicks will all be averaging more points per game as they get into conference play and opposing teams focus on Holden and Nolan. 

Thursday against Long Island (1-4 currently)  They have shot 32-122 from beyond the arc thus far.  We need to continue to buzz around (Hicks) and force them into bad long distance shots. 

I was really impressed with Towson vs New Mexico. That is the first time I have watched them this season.  I thought Hicks struggled mightily vs full court pressure. 

LIU looked completely winded in the final 10 minutes. Delaware just started running in transition and taking it straight to the hoop with no defenders getting back to stop the dribble. I think Terry Nolan should have a great game against LIU with his quickness in transition. Delaware looked talented but struggled to rebound. I think we can go toe to toe with them chickens 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

UMBC beat Pitt 87-77, shows you how bad Pitt really is. Bad loss for Towson regardless of what conference Pitt is in.

I think bad loss is a stretch.  It is a loss v a P5 school.  Its a good win for UMBC.  A bad loss is losing to Goucher, Morgan State, etc.  at no piont will a CAA school losing to a P5 be a bad loss. 

20 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I think bad loss is a stretch.  It is a loss v a P5 school.  Its a good win for UMBC.  A bad loss is losing to Goucher, Morgan State, etc.  at no piont will a CAA school losing to a P5 be a bad loss. 

Pitt is an awful team. Might not be a “bad” loss but whatever the next step better than bad is loss. Haha. 

We typically beat the bad teams. Lose to the good ones and go .500 or less against the mediocre ones. 

Monmouth is good. USF is good. Pitt is bad

Albany and Hampton are god awful. 1 win combined. 
Penn has played a ridiculous schedule and is likely slightly  less than mediocre. UNM can score but can’t rebound or defend which fits into our strengths. They did beat NMSU the other night and are 4-3