• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

2 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

It is an interesting hypothetical and shows where the conference is right now (it has been a while since it has been a multi-bid league obviously). With this year's numbers, I think we would be in the conversation for an at-large with wins over both those teams. We didn't really come close to beating either so I am not sure it is really even a worthwhile conversation, but I only mentioned it because we did hang around and compete in both games. Just a hypothetical and the type of conversation I wish we could be in for real as a program, but we have just as many major non-conference upsets in recent memory as we do appearances in conference tournament finals. Both are areas where we could do much better. 

For now, I will just enjoy the rest of this season and grabbing a hard-fought victory over College of Charleston on what sounded like far from our best night (full disclosure, I was working another game and only was able to follow it through live stats). 

We would like need to be top 45 at least to get an auto bid (most teams). Just playing a caa schedule with some low ranked teams, even with wins, we wouldn’t rise much.  Now if the teams we played ooc were good that’s another story. But there aren’t many winning records currently 

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Interesting. One good year. They won 25 in 2013-14, 20 in 2015-16 and 20 the following year. If tournament success is your only factor for a successful coach in a one bid league, than he’s a failure as was Tony Shaver. I think it’s a part of the equation but so is winning games, graduating players and running a clean program with very little off the court problems. 

This is a good team and we’ll find out how good on Saturday.

18 and 19 but not too much of a difference. 

You have to look at the league vs a one bid league. There isn’t a vermont, Loyola Chicago, Wichita state or Ndsu here. Every program currently in the league has won the CAAT Besides the tribe, Elon and ourselves. While all 9 others have played in at least 1 title game. 

The chances have been there.

shaver getting canned, looking back now, was obviously a mistake   The ad was overzealous   Tony had a decent system and program going but after 12+ years they had enough.  WM obviously is much different than we are..

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

We would like need to be top 45 at least to get an auto bid (most teams). Just playing a caa schedule with some low ranked teams, even with wins, we wouldn’t rise much.  Now if the teams we played ooc were good that’s another story. But there aren’t many winning records currently 

I completely agree, which is why I picked those two teams on our schedule specifically for the hypothetical. Ohio State is 21 and San Francisco is 36. A road win over Ohio State and a neutral-site win against San Francisco would have probably kept us in the top 45 with the scenario you outlined (any more than two losses in conference, especially to the wrong team, and it would not work). Heck, just beating Navy when they were in the 60s, losing to Monmouth who was in the 50s in 60s until recent losses dropped them to 101, and losing to San Francisco and Ohio State has us at 72 right now. 

Anyways, the hypothetical exercise is not really useful in any way other then to show that a big non-conference win or two combined with a solid non-conference slate to can reframe the narrative of a whole season. Add in a successful conference slate and it is another strong part of the resume.

Of course, we both agree the margin for error in the conference play is pretty slim. We are starting to get decent mid-major buzz this year. Our numbers are not good enough for an at-large bid this year, but we will part of that fringe conversation if we can keep this up and only lose 2-3 conference games. However, that is going to be very difficult based on what I am seeing. As much as people knock our conference, I do think Hofstra, Delaware, us, Charleston, Wilmington and probably Drexel (since they beat us) all look pretty competitive at this point. 

50 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I completely agree, which is why I picked those two teams on our schedule specifically for the hypothetical. Ohio State is 21 and San Francisco is 36. A road win over Ohio State and a neutral-site win against San Francisco would have probably kept us in the top 45 with the scenario you outlined (any more than two losses in conference, especially to the wrong team, and it would not work). Heck, just beating Navy when they were in the 60s, losing to Monmouth who was in the 50s in 60s until recent losses dropped them to 101, and losing to San Francisco and Ohio State has us at 72 right now. 

Anyways, the hypothetical exercise is not really useful in any way other then to show that a big non-conference win or two combined with a solid non-conference slate to can reframe the narrative of a whole season. Add in a successful conference slate and it is another strong part of the resume.

Of course, we both agree the margin for error in the conference play is pretty slim. We are starting to get decent mid-major buzz this year. Our numbers are not good enough for an at-large bid this year, but we will part of that fringe conversation if we can keep this up and only lose 2-3 conference games. However, that is going to be very difficult based on what I am seeing. As much as people knock our conference, I do think Hofstra, Delaware, us, Charleston, Wilmington and probably Drexel (since they beat us) all look pretty competitive at this point. 

Agree. The caa is pretty solid this year At least 1-7.  The top 6 are all in the top 180 or so. But no great team that’s why each game is so important.  But damn a healthy northeastern as an 8-9 seed is not a team any one seed is going to want to see

51 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agree. The caa is pretty solid this year At least 1-7.  The top 6 are all in the top 180 or so. But no great team that’s why each game is so important.  But damn a healthy northeastern as an 8-9 seed is not a team any one seed is going to want to see

I am a relatively glass half-full person when it comes to this team (and surprisingly even this program, although I like to mix in reality as well), but no matter what we do the rest of the season every game of the conference tournament is going to be never-racking. I like this team, and think it has a good shot to do something pretty special. However, from the early glimpse I have seen of this conference I don't expect anything to come easy for anyone the rest of the way. Especially once the conference tournament starts. 

I am not putting everything into the next four games, but Saturday's game with UNC-W, the home and home with Delaware (who looks pretty good) and the rematch with Drexel will tell us a decent amount about this team (at that point JMU will be the only team we haven't played). I will be happy with 3-1, mildly satisfied with 2-2, very disappointed with 1-3, and the excitement will really build if somehow we are 4-0 in that stretch.  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, tu_fan said:

While I can't argue with you, I'll take Skerry over PK, Hunt, or any other coach heading back to Truax.....If Skerry can get shooters and passers, and then impress upon them his style of defense and rebounding, it's a winning formula.  I would cringe at Spiro's post game interviews with Skerry where we would lose, while out-rebounding the other team, but have 3 assists.....And rather than ever mentioning spacing, ball movement our outside shooting, Skerry would provide his canned answers that "we need to guard & defend better," when the real issue was offensive style and skill.  He was (and perhaps still is) such a one trick pony, to a fault, and it carried over to his recruiting, much to our detriment.  

Skerry is a defensive whiz.  If he commits to finding scorers, shooters, and passers, and then imparts his defensive style, we will win.  This year is the first year I have ever heard Skerry say things like....."I was proud of the ball movement" or "we are going to shoot 3s" etc.  Maybe he and his staff have FINALLY connected the dots......

I graduated in 1994.  It's been heartbreaking to see how utterly pathetic our teams have been the last 25 years.  In my mind this season has already been a smashing success as the team is a joy to watch.  You could see it the first game against Albany where those of us in the chat were like, "who is this team...".....I've had more pleasure watching these guys share the ball, shoot lights out, not need to rely on one specific player (like a gary neal, fobbs, martin, JB, etc.), while the rest of the team was awful, each and every night.  I realize there is more to be done, but after having sand kicked in our faces for 25 years, it's great to see a team win, in some cases dominate, and do so in a way that is beautiful basketball.  

I agree that this is a different type of team than most previous squads. I don't agree that Skerry is a defensive whiz. He merely focuses more on defense than offense. There is nothing unique about his defensive style, as opposed to lets say a Jim Boeheim who runs a terribly unique defense that gives folks fits. He recruited players that were defense oriented, therefore his defensive numbers were better.

We will see if he knows how to coach offense. I do hope they succeed, but not yet on the bandwagon. Too many years have gone by where we thought that "this is the year"....only top have mediocre conference  teams whoop them in the tournament and despite all the talk of not using the tournament as a barometer....in a one bid conference, that is the measuring stick. Again, he has had a decade to prove it and we are still waiting....many are waiting too patiently. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Not sure I’ll make this but at least we’ll find some answers. Good move for Joe to do this

It should be on Flosports so everyone can watch it.  Oh wait...

• Haha 1