• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Local teams here all suck. Not worth playing. It’s not that their records are awful, their rpi/net are also bottom tier.  The year Umbc beat uva we won fairly easily. 
The “it takes two to tango” line is just that. When we suck we can’t get anyone. When we are average we can’t get anyone. When we are good we can’t get anyone.  Other schools do! What the hell are we doing wrong?!

hard to believe that we can’t get a 2 for 1 with a mod to upper tier a10 team. Every year our ooc schedule is a joke.  This was a year to schedule  tough

We had a pretty solid strength of schedule last year that helped boost our NET ranking. Ohio State, San Francisco, Monmouth, Pittsburgh (not good, but we tried), New Mexico (not good, but we tried), UNC Greensboro (not as the past, but usually very good), Kent State and Penn made up a solid schedule, and the fact that Navy was in the 60s in the RPI when we played them helped quite a bit too. I do think sometimes we have to be willing to swallow our pride and just go play a road game with no return against one or two good teams.

I know 2020-21 was an awful year, but we did play Virginia, San Francisco, Buffalo and had Iona and Maryland on the schedule before COVID cancellations. At least the last two years Skerry has tried hard to create a challenge schedule.

I expect this one to round and be decent when all is said and done. When we were playing non-D1 teams on top of all the locals in previous years that certainly made for a soft underbelly of the schedule. This Savannah tournament has the potential to have some pretty good opponents or some lousy ones depend on the matchup. I feel like we should always play Loyola, UMBC and Navy. It also feels like one of Coppin State and Morgan State should be on the schedule even though it is usually a low RPI game. I don't like playing both. I would also swap out one of the first three if Maryland would ever put us back on the schedule. I also like when we play either George Mason or George Washington, although both have not been very good recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

We had a pretty solid strength of schedule last year that helped boost our NET ranking. Ohio State, San Francisco, Monmouth, Pittsburgh (not good, but we tried), New Mexico (not good, but we tried), UNC Greensboro (not as the past, but usually very good), Kent State and Penn made up a solid schedule, and the fact that Navy was in the 60s in the RPI when we played them helped quite a bit too. I do think sometimes we have to be willing to swallow our pride and just go play a road game with no return against one or two good teams.

I know 2020-21 was an awful year, but we did play Virginia, San Francisco, Buffalo and had Iona and Maryland on the schedule before COVID cancellations. At least the last two years Skerry has tried hard to create a challenge schedule.

I expect this one to round and be decent when all is said and done. When we were playing non-D1 teams on top of all the locals in previous years that certainly made for a soft underbelly of the schedule. This Savannah tournament has the potential to have some pretty good opponents or some lousy ones depend on the matchup. I feel like we should always play Loyola, UMBC and Navy. It also feels like one of Coppin State and Morgan State should be on the schedule even though it is usually a low RPI game. I don't like playing both. I would also swap out one of the first three if Maryland would ever put us back on the schedule. I also like when we play either George Mason or George Washington, although both have not been very good recently. 

Last years was good. Was hopping for a repeat of it…. Playing 5 games a year against the local teams is boring IMO. They do little to boost interest in the program. 
Socon does it right. They schedule very well and now have passed the caa in strength of conference. Someone needs to help Joey d and the office down in Richmond schedule better as whole. No non d1s, get some conference challenge going because the caa with now 14000 teams and a 15/16 seed one unit in March each year is not good. 

20-12 last season with an NIT win. But they lost their 3 top scorers. 
They will be playing South Florida 5 days before our game so they should be ready.  
Towson -2.5 early line 

Know this is more appropriate for the Towson football page but I never post there and wanted to share a story today from a UC Davis QB Camp..  

I run into a Dad who tells me his cousin of some sorts plays for Towson and this gentleman Mr Buchanan (didn’t catch first name) says yeah I’m from Culpeper Virginia and my cousin is only 5’6” and last name is Hunter.  😃

Then too I spent 30 minutes with other parents and coach Dan Hawkins and he asks me where I went to school and I say Towson State…  boom he knew right away and said Rob Ambrose.  

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Know this is more appropriate for the Towson football page but I never post there and wanted to share a story today from a UC Davis QB Camp..  

I run into a Dad who tells me his cousin of some sorts plays for Towson and this gentleman Mr Buchanan (didn’t catch first name) says yeah I’m from Culpeper Virginia and my cousin is only 5’6” and last name is Hunter.  😃

Then too I spent 30 minutes with other parents and coach Dan Hawkins and he asks me where I went to school and I say Towson State…  boom he knew right away and said Rob Ambrose.  

Did the guy have lots of negative things to say about mr ambrose?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blounge said:

Did the guy have lots of negative things to say about mr ambrose?

Nothing said negative just acknowledged our program and coach with Davis also playing in 1-AA.  Hawkins has coached all over the place from Boise State to Colorado to the CFL to Australia etc.   He knew our program!