• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

4 hours ago, tu_fan said:

Bieku is a typical Skerry recruit in that he's offensively challenged.  Gibson, who sort of fell in Skerry's lap as an uncommitted senior is the only offensively geared freshman recruit we've had in quite a few years.  I like Hicks, but again, he's also challenged offensively......The other recruits the last 2 years never see the floor....He and his staff nailed the transfer class, but to continue this turn around he needs to focus on getting talented scorers & passers 

Gibson is Dan Crowley’s nephew and I’m glad he fell into our lap.  I’d say he has at least another 3-4 games this season (praying for more) where he will light it up from 3!

5 hours ago, tu_fan said:

Bieku is a typical Skerry recruit in that he's offensively challenged.  Gibson, who sort of fell in Skerry's lap as an uncommitted senior is the only offensively geared freshman recruit we've had in quite a few years.  I like Hicks, but again, he's also challenged offensively......The other recruits the last 2 years never see the floor....He and his staff nailed the transfer class, but to continue this turn around he needs to focus on getting talented scorers & passers 

I kind of like Bieku. He can screen and defend some, but sure, he is limited. I think you can do better, but you aren't going to get 13 starters or 13 rotation players. Sometimes you need third-string centers. Problem is that he can play the 4. Same as CT, but Charles has developed an offensive game and he is really passing the ball well. I'd like to see another big next season. Maybe a 6-8, 230-pound freshman you can develop with some skills. Don't know which guys will return, because we will add a transfer or two.

The last two years wasn't pretty for freshmen. Hicks may be the best of the lost. Gill and Coleman (the Tylers). Darrick Jones and Bieku from the previous season. Jones has some offensive potential. Not just a leaper, but I noticed he didn't set a screen that was supposed to set and never played again. That's after making a three. I look at it this way. No reason why you can't use him as a gunner off the bench if you need offense. Or you want to push the pace and have him on the wings to finish. That shot he took really looked pure and he was confident.

But I really like the two kids they signed early in Dylan Williamson and Christian May. Williamson is a point or combo guard and May is probably going to replace Holden in 2023-24 at the 4. If Nolan leaves, we'll need a point guard because I still like Gibby at the 2 or at least combo guard. Recruiting has its ebbs and flows. It's now all about "the portal" as PS says. You have to hit that portal or you will struggle. If you can get guys that can play multiple years and have experience at mid-majors like Rizzuto, Nolan and Holden, I think that's the way to go. Not guys that haven't played and you are just waiting on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I kind of like Bieku. He can screen and defend some, but sure, he is limited. I think you can do better, but you aren't going to get 13 starters or 13 rotation players. Sometimes you need third-string centers. Problem is that he can play the 4. Same as CT, but Charles has developed an offensive game and he is really passing the ball well. I'd like to see another big next season. Maybe a 6-8, 230-pound freshman you can develop with some skills. Don't know which guys will return, because we will add a transfer or two.

The last two years wasn't pretty for freshmen. Hicks may be the best of the lost. Gill and Coleman (the Tylers). Darrick Jones and Bieku from the previous season. Jones has some offensive potential. Not just a leaper, but I noticed he didn't set a screen that was supposed to set and never played again. That's after making a three. I look at it this way. No reason why you can't use him as a gunner off the bench if you need offense. Or you want to push the pace and have him on the wings to finish. That shot he took really looked pure and he was confident.

But I really like the two kids they signed early in Dylan Williamson and Christian May. Williamson is a point or combo guard and May is probably going to replace Holden in 2023-24 at the 4. If Nolan leaves, we'll need a point guard because I still like Gibby at the 2 or at least combo guard. Recruiting has its ebbs and flows. It's now all about "the portal" as PS says. You have to hit that portal or you will struggle. If you can get guys that can play multiple years and have experience at mid-majors like Rizzuto, Nolan and Holden, I think that's the way to go. Not guys that haven't played and you are just waiting on.

Safe to assume not having to sit out a season after transferring won’t be reversed anytime soon?   

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Going to be interesting to see which, if any, of the members of the last 2 recruiting classes (Jones, Bieku, Gill & Coleman) return next season. None of them are getting any significant minutes & if PS is going to bring in 1 or 2 guys from the portal, the roster has to be pared, with the 2 freshmen (Williamson & May) already coming on board. I know Gray is in his last season, but I’ve lost track of whether Rizzuto, Nolan & Holden have eligibility beyond this season. Also, as we all know, Timberlake has been around quite awhile, so will he be back? 

I think we are seeing the transfer portal has completely change roster construction. Especially with COVID years giving players another year of eligibility. Good transfers almost seem like a more effective way of getting good quicker for mid-major and mid-level power teams (especially this year). The teams bringing in the very top level freshman prospects can usually get immediate returns (and they can also fill in top level transfers where they want), but in the case of a mediocre mid-major it is almost working just as well or better in some cases to bring in players from other programs who want a better opportunity to showcase what they can do.

Every team still has to recruit freshman and try to develop players, but the transfers have definitely added a new wrinkle as to how to build a team. This year's Towson team is actually a solid blend of both. We brought in Charles Thompson, Jason Gibson and Nick Timberlake as freshmen and they have all been good to solid, but last year there was too much being asked of them. Bringing in Holden, Nolan Jr., Paar and Rizzuto has allowed them to focus more on their roles. It is also been nice to see Juwan Gray make the most of his extra year when he has been on the court. 

I wouldn't give Pat Skerry full credit for having wonderful foresight to make this happen, but he definitely pieced together the parts very well this year. It doesn't matter how we get the talent, we just need to keep adding it to the program. I think Skerry has done a good of this for most of his time here. What he hasn't been good at is fitting the right pieces together, and having a successfully philosophy to have them thrive.

This team is constructed well, and hopefully Skerry is learning lessons he can carry forward. Of course, there is still a long way to go to label this year a full success, and even if we continue at this high level in the regular-season Pat still has the crappy postseason monkey to get off his back. That being said, I am enjoying the journey of watching this team and I do feel like they have the potential to do something special this year. 

• Like 1

With the no transfer sit out consequence I’m seeing kids go with a smaller school and then hoping to parlay it into a bigger school the following season.   
EG/ Bryce Monroe played at Sam Houston State last season and is now at San Diego. I know the AAU coaches out here in the Bay Area are advising kids with this approach.   
I love the guys we’ve gotten in the portal and for mid majors like us the days of a massive rebuild are over when you can pull experienced players in right away without having to sit. 

Crazy times in college basketball. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I think we are seeing the transfer portal has completely change roster construction. Especially with COVID years giving players another year of eligibility. Good transfers almost seem like a more effective way of getting good quicker for mid-major and mid-level power teams (especially this year). The teams bringing in the very top level freshman prospects can usually get immediate returns (and they can also fill in top level transfers where they want), but in the case of a mediocre mid-major it is almost working just as well or better in some cases to bring in players from other programs who want a better opportunity to showcase what they can do.

Every team still has to recruit freshman and try to develop players, but the transfers have definitely added a new wrinkle as to how to build a team. This year's Towson team is actually a solid blend of both. We brought in Charles Thompson, Jason Gibson and Nick Timberlake as freshmen and they have all been good to solid, but last year there was too much being asked of them. Bringing in Holden, Nolan Jr., Paar and Rizzuto has allowed them to focus more on their roles. It is also been nice to see Juwan Gray make the most of his extra year when he has been on the court. 

I wouldn't give Pat Skerry full credit for having wonderful foresight to make this happen, but he definitely pieced together the parts very well this year. It doesn't matter how we get the talent, we just need to keep adding it to the program. I think Skerry has done a good of this for most of his time here. What he hasn't been good at is fitting the right pieces together, and having a successfully philosophy to have them thrive.

This team is constructed well, and hopefully Skerry is learning lessons he can carry forward. Of course, there is still a long way to go to label this year a full success, and even if we continue at this high level in the regular-season Pat still has the crappy postseason monkey to get off his back. That being said, I am enjoying the journey of watching this team and I do feel like they have the potential to do something special this year. 

Yes, he finally changed it up this year and so far the philosophy has paid off. I kill him more than anyone and am happy he made the adjustment..just wish it didn’t take a half a decade.   
Some here have already labeled this season a success no matter what happens from here. 

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

With the no transfer sit out consequence I’m seeing kids go with a smaller school and then hoping to parlay it into a bigger school the following season.   
EG/ Bryce Monroe played at Sam Houston State last season and is now at San Diego. I know the AAU coaches out here in the Bay Area are advising kids with this approach.   
I love the guys we’ve gotten in the portal and for mid majors like us the days of a massive rebuild are over when you can pull experienced players in right away without having to sit. 

Like the guy who was at Charleston last year. Payton Willis.  His path was, Vandy for 2  sit out 1. To Minnesota for 1. To Charleston for 1. Back to Minnesota for 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

100% players have been taking advantage of the new rule as they should. Coaches have been the beneficiary of having players to sit a year. They know who they will have. Allowing players to transfer without limitation empowers the players. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yes, he finally changed it up this year and so far the philosophy has paid off. I kill him more than anyone and am happy he made the adjustment..just wish it didn’t take a half a decade.   
Some here have already labeled this season a success no matter what happens from here. 

Like the guy who was at Charleston last year. Payton Willis.  His path was, Vandy for 2  sit out 1. To Minnesota for 1. To Charleston for 1. Back to Minnesota for 1

Who has labeled this season a success?