• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

Right, the same UVa team that lost to Navy to start the season. Not sure why Tony Bennett would take his team to a new arena that he knew would be sold out. Then again. It looks like it's not their year.

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Right, the same UVa team that lost to Navy to start the season. Not sure why Tony Bennett would take his team to a new arena that he knew would be sold out. Then again. It looks like it's not their year.

He said he learned from his dad that it was important for bigger schools to play smaller / mid major schools in the state because its good for the game of college basketball. Respectable but terrible for them now

• Like 2

Just now, sr16 said:

He said he learned from his dad that it was important for bigger schools to play smaller / mid major schools in the state because its good for the game of college basketball. Respectable but terrible for them now

Good for him and good for JMU. That was basically their Super Bowl. I guess. Out of sight, out of mind. If they were really in the CAA, I'd be happy for them. 

19 minutes ago, sr16 said:

They were supposed to open up the arena last year but Covid happened.  They aren’t scared to play anyone, anywhere just like unc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sr16 said:

He's right and even though they lost tonite, it's going to help them down the line in conference play when they're in a hostile situation.  Could also help in the NCAA Tournament if they get there and they're playing a mid-major and the arena is against them.  I think more coaches should do it.  Would Texas have rather lost to Abilene Christian at Abilene in December or do it in front of the whole nation on the big stage in March?  Plus, it's good for the game when the big boys go into the smaller arenas and sell them out.  If we could get someone marquee-worthy into SECU and we sell the place out (even if it's with the opposition's fans) and then play decently, that could be a good marketing tool.  But it's nice to see a team like Virginia do this and I'd love to see other big name teams do the same.

• Like 2

Looked like a lot of fun at JMU last night. Packed house decked out in purple to watch a gritty win and storm the court. I’m so glad they have moved on to the Sunbelt. If you were a high school athlete with offers from JMU and Towson why would you ever pick towson? JMU looks like way more fun with sold out games in football and basketball as opposed to here where we can’t sell out with free tickets

9 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

He's right and even though they lost tonite, it's going to help them down the line in conference play when they're in a hostile situation.  Could also help in the NCAA Tournament if they get there and they're playing a mid-major and the arena is against them.  I think more coaches should do it.  Would Texas have rather lost to Abilene Christian at Abilene in December or do it in front of the whole nation on the big stage in March?  Plus, it's good for the game when the big boys go into the smaller arenas and sell them out.  If we could get someone marquee-worthy into SECU and we sell the place out (even if it's with the opposition's fans) and then play decently, that could be a good marketing tool.  But it's nice to see a team like Virginia do this and I'd love to see other big name teams do the same.

Honestly don’t agree that it’s going to help Virginia. You know what it shows by losing to Navy and JMU? They aren’t that good. Duke never goes on the road in non conference play. I think it helps that they lost at Ohio State. I’m not an elitist. I wish Maryland would play Towson more, but I don’t think they’ve ever played a road game against a state rival in my lifetime. Just too much to lose as when they lost to Morgan and Coppin at home.

North Carolina can get away with it, but if Hubert Davis started to lose those games I’m sure he’d stop scheduling them. Bennett had a Natty so he can continue to do that over the next few seasons as long as he wins overall and does well in the ACC.