• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

New AD Thread II

No politics. Let's just talk about the AD search and not worry about what the committee looks like. So far, all we've done, including myself, is bitch about what might happen. Nobody has thrown out reasonable candidates that can lead Towson athletics.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

No politics. Let's just talk about the AD search and not worry about what the committee looks like. So far, all we've done, including myself, is bitch about what might happen. Nobody has thrown out reasonable candidates that can lead Towson athletics.

We aren’t paid to do that. Who comes here when we can’t fire a career losing coach in football with one year left?

What, I think, would be very helpful and give the fans a better understanding of what this is all about.....is a statement from the President stating what her goal is for Athletics. Just saying "we want to win in football and basketball" would be insufficient. A thorough statement regarding both the competitive and financial aspects of athletics is important. A statement regarding how athletics is to be a part of the entire university experience....as opposed to just being an independent section. A statement clearly defining what is expected of coaches in regard to competition, graduation, fundraising and behavior are all terribly significant. I hope we don't get a "behind closed doors" selection. 

We also have to realize the world we live in. In the world of sports in media, you notice the announcers/analysts/broadcasters.....there is always representatives of both genders, of all racial backgrounds and total diversity. I know we are not supposed to be talking politics here....and I hope this is not viewed in that light. Without saying if it is good, bad or indifferent, the trend is now toward female ADs, i.e. Delaware----William and Mary, etc. Facts are facts...so nothing should surprise us.......My only hope is that this is an open process, with the President making clear the ultimate goal. 

• Like 4

It's not political stating facts as long we stay neutral and there is a possibility we could have our first female AD. I think the stereotype of the women's administrator is that she won't care about men's sports is pretty much gone out the window. Not to say there aren't administrators and assoc. ADs like that. I know I had a professor back in the day that I won't name that may have fit that profile (that some on this board may have had) but that was 30 years ago. There are five female ADs in Power Five conferences. It's going to happen at some point and we all seem to fear the unknown. It may be a good thing or it may not. Just like our male ADs. We've had some good ones and some not so good ones. I think a lot depends on what the committee is looking for and we assume she will direct them towards her goal, yet it's IMPOSSIBLE to not think that a donor that gave the school over $5 million won't have a lot of influence on this selection.

Not getting too far off topic, but while we would like more wins and losses in the revenue sports, the fact that the program is in pretty good hands off the court. Not just academics but having athletes volunteer their time to help others. We're pretty damn good at community service and the next AD will need to continue on that path.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2021/12/2/general-towson-athletic-department-achieves-highest-ever-gsr-and-best-among-usm-di-programs.aspx#:~:text=Towson earned a 91% GSR,from 90% the previous year.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/2/18/general-tigers-celebrate-community-service-national-championship

12 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

We aren’t paid to do that. Who comes here when we can’t fire a career losing coach in football with one year left?

The committee members are not paid to do that either. And sure, no administrator wants a job paying over $300,000 with a bunch of perks and incentives. 

On 12/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, mat1992 said:

It's not political stating facts as long we stay neutral and there is a possibility we could have our first female AD. I think the stereotype of the women's administrator is that she won't care about men's sports is pretty much gone out the window. Not to say there aren't administrators and assoc. ADs like that. I know I had a professor back in the day that I won't name that may have fit that profile (that some on this board may have had) but that was 30 years ago. There are five female ADs in Power Five conferences. It's going to happen at some point and we all seem to fear the unknown. It may be a good thing or it may not. Just like our male ADs. We've had some good ones and some not so good ones. I think a lot depends on what the committee is looking for and we assume she will direct them towards her goal, yet it's IMPOSSIBLE to not think that a donor that gave the school over $5 million won't have a lot of influence on this selection.

I still hope that a "random" season ticket holder, that has not been privy to the internal Towson politics, should be on the committee representing the regular folks who Towson hopes to attract to games. I do understand that the 5 million dollar guy has lots of pull and that type of person has had that influence over the years. We have heard talk by the previous ADs of Tiger Nation. Lets let one of those folks have input in a major decision. .....Plus it would be an awesome PR move

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, mat1992 said:

I guess I would start off asking if anyone knows of Towson alum who have positions in the college athletics at different institutions that are at the Assistant AD level, followed by asking if there are any prominent senior associate ADs locally that people respect, followed by any corporate leaders that anyone thinks could fit the bill (since this has been small trend in some AD hirings recently), or any athletic departments regionally or nationally that people are impressed by who may have high level AD candidates that are realistic. I worked in college athletics in a different state and have known enough to fill in some of these blanks in the past, but I don't really know where to start with names anymore. I know this is pretty much the same type of questions others have, and some may even have more specific ideas.

I really liked the background Mike Waddell had when he came here. I also liked his drive to make Towson more known in the community and try to raise the our brand profile. I did not necessarily like that he did that in a way that at least from the outside seemed somewhat financially reckless. That being said, he is the only AD since I started attending in Towson 1993 who thought outside of the box and really pursued a vision of raising the bar. Obviously as someone mentioned in the previous thread, someone with that kind of vision of Towson balanced with a little more fiscal prudence would be good. However, I realize that is very general and as was mentioned earlier the AD will fit in with the university's overall vision of what they want athletics to be moving forward. 

• Like 2