• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

New AD Thread II

2 hours ago, TUTigers said:

You would think he would prioritize football. Always enjoyed watching him play. 

Priority should be to win and continue on the academic and volunteer work. Shouldn’t be football focused. We are not Alabama or Usc or even WVU. 

he is young and probably would have lots of energy and new ways to think which at Towson is always needed.  Being an alum and ex athletes certainly helps!

• Like 1

Football should and will be prioritized. Not going to be in FCS forever. There is a separation in FBS already between P5 and G5 and at some point it will officially be divided by scholarships.

Our facilities are about to be improved. Need to add COA. Now we need to win either with current coach or next coach. Excuses are running out with JMU leaving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Football should and will be prioritized. Not going to be in FCS forever. There is a separation in FBS already between P5 and G5 and at some point it will officially be divided by scholarships.

Our facilities are about to be improved. Need to add COA. Now we need to win either with current coach or next coach. Excuses are running out with JMU leaving.

100% agree. Basketball is nice but we have no history and does not drive revenue.

5 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

100% agree. Basketball is nice but we have no history and does not drive revenue.

Not sure about the basketball has no history and drives no revenue part. Football loses money in most places. 

2 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Football might as well be d2. That’s how most people view and think of fcs football. Most of the good teams have or are leaving. Average 4K per game.  “Drive revenue” lol. You mean lose money 
And football at Towson has such a storied history??  

I'll get back on track shortly. But you don't have to win an FCS title to have history. We've only been around 52+ years, went to playoffs at D3, D2 and 1-AA/FCS,  Were were fantastic in D3 and D2 thanks to Phil Albert. We've no doubt been erratic in FCS, but we have a pretty proud history if people watched the history of the program a couple of years ago on the 50th anniversary. Not sure why I have to defend either program, because we're all about what happened yesterday or 10 years ago or we haven't won a postseason title in 29 years in basketball. In football, we just aren't Delaware and JMU and will never be, but doesn't mean we can't strive to be. And we won't be in FCS forever. That will change shortly. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I'll get back on track shortly. But you don't have to win an FCS title to have history. We've only been around 52+ years, went to playoffs at D3, D2 and 1-AA/FCS,  Were were fantastic in D3 and D2 thanks to Phil Albert. We've no doubt been erratic in FCS, but we have a pretty proud history if people watched the history of the program a couple of years ago on the 50th anniversary. Not sure why I have to defend either program, because we're all about what happened yesterday or 10 years ago or we haven't won a postseason title in 29 years in basketball. In football, we just aren't Delaware and JMU and will never be, but doesn't mean we can't strive to be. And we won't be in FCS forever. That will change shortly. 

I’m interested in the last 2 sentences of your post. Can you elaborate on why you feel we will be leaving the FCS shortly? We don’t have the stadium size or attendance to be FBS, I don’t think. Are you postulating that the FCS will cease to exist? That the P5 will form its own alliance and that the remainder (every school not in the P5) will all be under one umbrella?  Or do you think we have some ambitious plan on the drawing board to move up to FBS? Hard to imagine that’s the case, especially given that we don’t know what the philosophy of the as yet to be named AD will be. 

26 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m interested in the last 2 sentences of your post. Can you elaborate on why you feel we will be leaving the FCS shortly? We don’t have the stadium size or attendance to be FBS, I don’t think. Are you postulating that the FCS will cease to exist? That the P5 will form its own alliance and that the remainder (every school not in the P5) will all be under one umbrella?  Or do you think we have some ambitious plan on the drawing board to move up to FBS? Hard to imagine that’s the case, especially given that we don’t know what the philosophy of the as yet to be named AD will be. 

As I've said many times here, FBS will be split into the halves and have nots. It already basically is. Two different tiers of FBS with 90+ scholarships and one with 75 or less.  There will be nothing about stadium size. I'm not saying FCS will cease to exist. As long as North Dakota State is around, it will have some relevance. But the Group of Five can't survive in that Power Five version of FBS. That's where Delaware, ND State, Villanova and others that want to make the jump with 75 scholarships instead of 85 (just my guess). 

But if people don't want to follow football (not referring to just one poster, not TSU88) because they don't like FCS and all of its irrelevance, don't follow it. I'm going to continue the cover the program I love until I can't. For those who continue to tear it down, just don't post. We have enough enemies. Just let those who love the program enjoy it, even with all its ups and downs.

As for plans to move up to FBS, it's not going to happen after a 4-7 season or when there is no AD. But we are going to have how many students on campus by 2025? Over 6,000 or 7,000? Or well over 10,000 students within a one mile radius of campus? Why should we settle for low standards? This isn't 1992 when I graduated and there were 14,000 students on campus. We need to make progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

As I've said many times here, FBS will be split into the halves and have nots. It already basically is. Two different tiers of FBS with 90+ scholarships and one with 75 or less.  There will be nothing about stadium size. I'm not saying FCS will cease to exist. As long as North Dakota State is around, it will have some relevance. But the Group of Five can't survive in that Power Five version of FBS. That's where Delaware, ND State, Villanova and others that want to make the jump with 75 scholarships instead of 85 (just my guess). 

But if people don't want to follow football because they don't like FCS and all of its irrelevance, don't follow it. I'm going to continue the cover the program I love until I can't. For those who continue to tear it down, just don't post. We have enough enemies. Just let those who love the program enjoy it, even with all its ups and downs.

As for plans to move up to FBS, it's not going to happen after a 4-7 season or when there is no AD. But we are going to have how many students on campus by 2025? Over 6,000 or 7,000? Or well over 10,000 students within a one mile radius of campus? Why should we settle for low standards? This isn't 1992 when I graduated and there were 14,000 students on campus. We need to make progress.

I for one prefer FCS, for a program such as ours, that would never have a shot at a big bowl in the FBS. I like the FCS playoffs. This is where I think a school like JMU might regret moving up. By that I mean what are they playing for in the Sunbelt? A chance to go to the R&L Carriers bowl? Whereas they could have remained a much bigger fish in a smaller pond. But I digress. Are you saying we’ll be a FBS “have not”? (Your phrase, not mine).  Is there not currently a minimum stadium size requirement (like 20-25K capacity) to be an FBS program. Presumably that could change? As for the growing number of students living on campus, or in close proximity thereto, I feel like we’ve been hearing that argument for years, with no apparent appreciable change in student enthusiasm/attendance. I would love nothing better than to see an uptick in student attendance (and non-student attendance for that matter) but I admit I’m skeptical that’s going to happen. Of course, a new AD, and a better product on the field, could ostensibly help in that regard. 

• Like 1