• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB downs ECU 66-51 (story up)

Watched some of this game on ESPN+. Really like the way Alie Kubek is playing. The 6-1 sophomore led the team with 15 points thought it was a really odd game, because there were a million turnovers on both ends and there is no boxscore right now. She really knows how to use her body and finishes well with either hand (esp. left-handed) and can hit the three. I'm sure all the stop and starting last season hurt her and her progress, because she looks like a different player and she was pretty good last season as a freshman.

So by watching the second (horrible for us) and fourth quarter, it appeared like Aleah Nelson really struggled (1-10) and they weren't getting much from the guards offensively, but the defense was terrific. Now, ECU isn't a great team, but they were 4-4 and beat the teams they should have beaten handily. I think the biggest concern coming out of this game was our handling of the press and our defensive rebounding. We allowed at one point I believe close to 20 if not more offensive rebounds. This wasn't a huge team, but we are small up front with Kubek, Anissa Rivera, and Rayne Tucker all around 6-1ish. Rivera is the best newcomer so far. She plays like a guard, but she can block shots. Tucker is the JMU transfer coming off a knee injury and she gets better each game.  She'll be starting at some point and I would Rivera will play small forward. Need a little more from two two-guard spot. I do like Tarriyonna Gary. She can stretch the defense with her shot and averages 10.6ppg.

Still no story up but the boxscore is here.

https://towsontigers.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/east-carolina-university/boxscore/22020

We got outrebounded by 15 and had 17 turnovers, but ECU had 18 turnovers. They also shot 25% from the field and 0-8 from 3pt. Wow. Defense wins games when you are not at your best. Esp. on the road.

Next up: UMass-Lowell on Thursday and American on Saturday. All on the road.

Dec. 14 next home game: Memphis at 4pm. Good but beatable. We have to hit shots from the perimeter, because they are 6-4, 6-2, 5-11, 5-10, and 5-9 in their starting lineup. 

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule

So I see we got ranked in the mid-major poll but any chance if we keep rolling we get ranked overall? I have no baseline for the disparity (there are like 10 good teams then everyone else) in WBB other than I know it's much higher vs MBB.