• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Timberlake, Holden lead MBB over Kent State 73-58

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/kent-state/boxscore/22111

Towson from start to finish in their 73-58 win over Kent State on Monday night on the road. They also avoided the slow starts that plagued them against Monmouth (24-1) and LIU (12-2). They jumped out to a 33-12 lead at one point and led 43-29 at the half thanks to an incredible behind-the-basket shot from Jason Gibson has time expired. Nicholas Timberlake and Gibson were red-hot in the first half and the junior guard from Boston kept it going in the second half. 

The Golden Flashes cut the lead to 61-58 with 5:50 left in the game thanks to a 9-0 run. But that was the last point Kent State would score. The Tigers would finish the game on a 12-0 run thanks to Timberlake and Antonio Rizzuto, who scored a season-high 18 points. Cam Holden had a tremendous all-around game with seven points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in 37 minutes. Timberlake led with 22 points on 8-14 from the field and 4-7 from 3-point range. He also had nine rebounds and zero turnovers.

In terms of team stats, Towson shot 52.8% from the field and 12-of-25 (48%) from beyond the arc. They also outrebounded Kent State by 14. Towson struggled with turnovers (14) against the Golden Flashes pressure and forced just six turnovers. Part of both of those stats may have been due to not having senior guard Terry Nolan, who was home (unexplained). Nolan might return on Wednesday night against Ohio State. That game will tip off at 9pm on ESPNU.

Here are some comments from Pat Skerry after the game online:

"Holden has a saying. 'Shooters on the loose' in practice. Ball movement was good. We have good shooters and we made shots. Good to get those three (Juwan Gray, Gibson and Rizzuto) back and they were good. Holden can't say enough about him. Timberlake had 22pts, nine rebounds, zero turnovers."

"Thinking of you Terry. He told me to be calmer. I was proud of that we made a run and we responded. I thought Timberlake had a big shot. Found Rizzuto on a back cut and three-point shot. There are things we have to get better at. They are doing a good job of representing the school."
"We rebounded it. Towson numbers. We do have guys that can shoot. Good to make them. If we can shoot, we have some weapons."
"Schedule is going to get us better. Playing against a brand name in college basketball. Our guys are going to excited."

Just now, TSU88 said:

Watching the replay now on ESPN3. Why was Nolan out?

Don't know. I don't think it was an injury. They never explained it so it was probably something personal.

3 minutes ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Hope everything is OK with Nolan, his girlfriend is expecting a baby this week?

She had a girl (I think) last Tuesday.

Great team play tonight. Holden was aswesome in other parts of the game. He had assists and rebounds...KSU double teamed him almost all night and he hit the open man and we were on FIRE

Great first half and last 5 minutes of the game.  The second half otherwise was abysmal.  A road win without one of your better players is nice to get. Probably beat shooting half I’ve seen Towson have. 
kent state could be a decent team but they are just 2-3 on the year.  Some good players though. 

Even with Nolan out, the fact that Gray had nine points was impressive. Add that with Gibson's 11 and you have 20 points off the bench. It was a weird game for Hicks, because he played just 16 minutes. Pulled him in the first three minutes after a turnover and he never turned it over again, but also didn't pay much. Had no assists and I don't think he can create for others yet. Team don't respect his scoring ability so they aren't going to guard him

As for Gray, I think he's an underrated part of this team because he can make a three, post up and defend decently in about 12-15mpg. Paar can impact the game without scoring, but he had two turnovers. Has to rebound the ball and keep it high. He always brings it down and guards take it away.