• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Timberlake, Holden lead MBB over Kent State 73-58

Just now, mat1992 said:

Even with Nolan out, the fact that Gray had nine points was impressive. Add that with Gibson's 11 and you have 20 points off the bench. It was a weird game for Hicks, because he played just 16 minutes. Pulled him in the first three minutes after a turnover and he never turned it over again, but also didn't pay much. Had no assists and I don't think he can create for others yet. Team don't respect his scoring ability so they aren't going to guard him

As for Gray, I think he's an underrated part of this team because he can make a three, post up and defend decently in about 12-15mpg. Paar can impact the game without scoring, but he had two turnovers. Has to rebound the ball and keep it high. He always brings it down and guards take it away. 

Hicks is ok. But the offense doesn’t run through him nor does he have it much. Nolan Holden usually have it. 

kent state message board has someone irate with the awful officiating against them…

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hicks is ok. But the offense doesn’t run through him nor does he have it much. Nolan Holden usually have it. 

kent state message board has someone irate with the awful officiating against them…

Hicks is there for his defense, especially when we press, which we didn't tonight. He also doesn't turn it over much right now. Any scoring is a bonus. 

Kent State complaining about officiating is laughable when they were 11-of-11 in the first half and we had no foul shots. Of course, Pat jumped all over the officials, as he should have, and we got some calls in the second half. How about cry that you shot 28% from the field and we shot over 50%. They did do a much better shot in disrupting our offense in the second half and we got very few good looks from 3.

I know it's not exciting to talk about defense, but some of those possessions in both halves were incredible. We were not facing some garbage team.Watching Rizzuto defend, when he's obviously not 100%, was impressive. He's not the quickest, but his man doesn't often beat him. And Timberlake is a lot better defensively than he was when he was a freshman, which seems like about a decade ago.

I also think this schedule is solid. No big names save for Ohio State, but a lot of good mid-majors including Navy and UNCG coming up. Navy beat up on Virginia and crushed a bad W&M team by 19.

Kent State fans want to complain about the officiating?  That's rich.  OK, maybe one or two of those Thompson blocks could have been a foul (definitely the one where he sprinted from the top of the key to swat it that led to the Timberlake pullup at the free throw line at the other end) but I'm not sure those guys knew what a block and a charge was.  The charge on Holden (I think) in the 2nd half was nowhere close to that.  But again, officials want to show off for the cameras so they'll call a charge every time.

It's weird to say this but I didn't even notice Nolan wasn't there.  Totally forgot about him.  I guess that's how good these guys were tonight in the first half with the ball movement and making the extra pass to get open looks.  For once, we actually knocked down those open looks.  18 assists on 28 FG, which is an insane ratio for this team.  Rizzuto certainly looked healthy out there and it was nice to see Holden not hunting his shot and getting everyone else set up.  He could have easily had a triple-double tonight.  

I can't understand for the life of me why Senderhoff got out of the zone in the 2nd half.  He popped that out with about 10-12 minutes left and we had 2-3 possessions where we didn't have much of a clue.  Then he went back to man and we dissected them again.  I wasn't a fan of the big guys doubling at the top of the key (really, Biekeu with that foul 40 feet away from the basket?) because then it had us scrambling on defensive rotations and too many times, we left shooters open or the post guy open (which Thompson erased/fouled in a big spot).  Also wish that Parr was more aggressive in looking for his shot.  A couple of times in the 2nd half, he had 7-8 footers in the lane but instead decided to pass it out and ended up throwing it away both times.  Still not all that impressed with he or Thompson at the offensive end in taking it to the basket thru contact and drawing fouls instead of getting manhandled down there.  That weak stuff will definitely not fly with what Ohio State brings in their front line on Wednesday night.

Really good team win.  Got a little nervy there with 6:00 left but they got a couple of clutch shots (Gray loves that corner 3) and the defense ratcheted up to shut down Kent State.  A split in Ohio was what we were looking for on this trip and we've guaranteed that.

Encouraging that we withstood the inevitable 2nd half Kent State run. This was the type of game that we would seem to lose in the past (jump out to a big lead and then fritter it away). Great 3-point shooting, especially by our standards. Can’t say enough about Holden’s all around game. Gibson & Gray off the bench is a nice combo. Timberlake finally looking like the player some hoped he would be when he came to TU, back in 2008 (well, it just seems that long), Agree with the previous post that this Ohio road swing is already a success. 

• Haha 2

Offhand, I wonder when was the last time a TU player had double digit assists in a game. Holden missed a triple double by 3 points tonight 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Offhand, I wonder when was the last time a TU player had double digit assists in a game. Holden missed a triple double by 3 points tonight 

Technically 2013/14 but that was against a non d 1. When’s the last time we had 18 assists in a game?!

Hicks has averaged 22 minutes a game thus far and that will probably decrease with other guys back and so much he has to improve on offensively but he is a true freshman and only has 8 turnovers to go along with 11 assists and 13 steals.  
Is he a diaper dandy..  no!   But he’s really been a pleasant surprise when none of us expected him to play this much.  

Guys are filling roles right now.  Gray as Matt mentioned fills a role.  NT & Cam are the 1-2 punch it seems.  CT & Paar are filling roles.  Rizzuto and Gibson doing their part.   Nolan comes back Wednesday or after and we have a legit 10 man rotation this season..  10 players I think all of us can agree on that give us quality minutes.  
6-3 and this is gonna be a fun CAA season with this group.   

• Like 1

Monmouth now 7-1 

USF is 9-0 

Pitt 2-6

We want the Pitt game back of course!

Other 2 losses to legit teams.  

We have a shot at 3-1 record before conference play.  9-4!!!   Not bad at all!

• Thanks 1