• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

WBB General Thread 2021-22

https://towsontigers.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/drexel-university/boxscore/22418

Extremely poor effort on the boards for the second straight game, getting outrebounded 40-29. Drexel is a better basketball team. They pass the ball extremely well. They make the extra pass. They make backdoor cuts and all sorts of cuts off screens, ala Princeton. It's a slow, methodical team just like Princeton and we let them dictate. With our depth, I would expect more pressure than we showed to try and speed up the temp. I know their point guard is terrific, but she's small. Try and get the ball out of her hands. Sure, easier said than done.

I thought we adjusted to the zone a little late. That's getting the ball to the foul line and let Kubek pass it or shoot it. But the defense was good enough to win, yet you can't keep playing defense when you constantly give up offensive rebounds. They were quicker than us to nearly every 50-50 ball and every long rebound seemed to go to them. I said the same thing last game. Forget about the break and leaking out. All guards have to help on the boards and Tucker, Rivera and Kubek need to do a better job of boxing out. We lost because we give up 14 offensive rebounds and turned the ball over 16 times (11 in the first half). 

One of my concerns about this team early on was their lack of height in the post (that's no excuse not to rebound. We're big enough). Tessa Brugler is 6-1, but she blocked or altered a handful of our shots. Maybe our post players need a jump hook, though I get Tucker's short fadeaway is effective. Also, other than Taryionna Gary, who had 14 and 7, the guards struggled. Aleah Nelson had six assists but four turnovers in 38 minutes. I know they want to move her to the 2, but Kylie Kornegay-Lucas fouled out in 20 minutes. She needs to be more disciplined on the defensive side, not going for every steal. On the offensive side, she needs to DISH the ball to her teammates.

If you are playing point and running the break, you have Rivera, Gary, Nelson, Kubek. All can shoot if they are on the floor with her. She had one assist and four turnovers. She's only played five games here and you can tell so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, because it again seems like she's trying to gell. But for Towson to win the title again, they need her to play to her potential. As a 5-10 point guard, she can defend, block shots, rebound and offensively, just needs to spread the ball around and trust her teammates. Doesn't mean don't shoot, but she isn't Melo Jeter. We don't need a superstar who can take over like that, but we don't need one when you have so many good players that can score in a variety of ways.

BTW, Drexel has won 10 straight. Really good team. 

I think we'll be fine, but to me, undefeated Delaware and Drexel are the teams to beat currently. I think we'll get better as Kornegay-Lucas adjusts to her new teammates. That and we have to get better on the boards.