• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Gibson leads MBB over Coppin State 89-75

https://coppinstatesports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Guard Jason Gibson scored a game-high 24 points on a school record-tying eight 3-pointers to lead the Tigers over the Eagles 89-75 on Saturday afternoon. It was not a pretty affair as Towson turned the ball over 13 times, including 11 in the first half. Coppin State held Towson leading scorer Cam Holden to just seven points on 1-of-6 shooting, but he did have nine rebounds. The Tigers took 21 three-pointers in the first half and wound up taking a school-record 37 attempts and record 16 makes. So much for "Skerry Ball". Towson shot 44% from three-point range (16-36). That won the game.

Nicolas Timberlake added 17 points, while Charles Thompson and Terry Nolan Jr. chipped in with 12 points apiece. Gibson played 24 minutes off the bench and took all his shots from three-point range (13). He also had three of the team's 16 assists. Juwan Gray played 23 minutes and had four rebounds. He also played a lot of center against a smaller Coppin State team, especially in the first half when Thompson and Chase Paar were ineffective. Towson did struggle from the line in the second half going 7-of-15 (15-24 game) and ended up with 10 fouls in the second half. 

Here are some Pat Skerry quotes after the game from the TowsonTigers.com stream.

"I told you we were going to shoot more threes. Credit Juan, they had a good gameplan. They were down a good player. Thought we were a little bit too unselfish. Thought we needed to get more red zone touches (in first half).

"Charles did a great job in the second half. We need that guy. I didn't like our defense. They were short-rolling. I have to watch the tape. I didn't think we did a good enough job contesting shots. We didn't help ourselves at the foul line.

"Got Juwan more minutes. It wasn't Cam's day. Antonio was good. Every game is hard on the road. Good to be 7-4, Like to be a little better.

"Greensboro is terrific. Mike Jones is a very good coach. Picked to win their league. We scheduled aggressively."

I though in the second half and attacked the rim more. That helped. Our defense wasn't good in the second half. We're still fouling too much. Really frustrated. We went through this at length. Disappointed in myself.

Had a film session about that (fouling) the other day. Got a little bit out of kilter. We'll address that tomorrow."

A win is a win. Need to be more consistent. Especially with a difficult schedule coming up. Each night it’s a new person. Can we get 2-3 players going each game?  If so this team can be good. If not we are looking at more of the same. 

cannot allow role/bench players to scorch us night in and night out.  That’s gonna hurt us down the road

For those who didn't go, the game was on 597 Verizon. Wasn't the best broadcast as they often wouldn't have a wide enough view and they would miss guys in the corner. But other than that, it was better than not having a stream or TV option. 

It's rare for Towson when you can stretch a team out when Nolan and Holden are not getting good looks on drives. Gibson and Rizzuto combined for 12 threes and then you add Gray's stretch 4/5 ability. The problem when you don't play Hicks is that you trade offense for defense. But when cant make wide open 3s or short jumpers and then turn it over, it's hard to play him. I do think the press becomes much more dangerous when he's on the floor. But it's tough to play him when Gibson is shooting lights out and Hicks is not.

I also have to give PS credit for sticking with Gibson and Timberlake. There are times when Gibson struggles, especially on the defensive end. He did at the end of the half when he went for help and left their best shooter Cardaci wide open for a 3 at the buzzer. Then he puts up a monster second half. Timberlake has his struggles at times with confidence. But he's become more consistent with his shot and he's shooting less mid-rangers. He's also making the right pass a lot more instead of forcing up those tough 15-footers with the hitch in his shot. 

I know Hicks will play less minutes, but I think he and even Darrick Jones can be effective in the press and in more up-tempo situations.

Nice win. As for "skerry ball", this team could rely too much on the 3 ball and find itself in trouble against more quality opponents. If not draining them on a consistent basis and taking bad 3's way beyond the arc as I've seen in the past, could spell trouble.

3 minutes ago, tualum said:

Nice win. As for "skerry ball", this team could rely too much on the 3 ball and find itself in trouble against more quality opponents. If not draining them on a consistent basis and taking bad 3's way beyond the arc as I've seen in the past, could spell trouble.

Oh really? From the guy who constantly complains about "Skerry Ball" because we just drove to draw fouls and now hates the fact, we took too many threes.

They didn't really take many bad threes today. Most of the threes were open shots. Just took too many in the first half. 

36 threes is alot for an average at best shooting team. But if that’s all available, Meh. Early on they have been open so…

Coppin and the local teams are bad games. Win by 30 eh. Lose. Awful. There’s no winning these. 

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

36 threes is alot for an average at best shooting team. But if that’s all available, Meh. Early on they have been open so…

Coppin and the local teams are bad games. Win by 30 eh. Lose. Awful. There’s no winning these. 

It's kind of like the big boys going on the road against Towson or UMBC. If they don't win by 20 more, it feels like a loss. We've completely dominated locals over the years under Skerry because we have better players and are usually bigger and stronger. Officiating has been worse in the past, but you rarely get the benefit of a call, especially on the road against a local. I'd like to go back and watch Cam Holden's three-pointer that they took away from him that they said he kicked his legs out and took it away. I don't suggest we never play locals. You need to play 2-3 a year. Morgan wanted a guaranteed game. UMBC didn't want to play us with a new coach. It's strange to play just one, unless you count Navy, which could be tough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It's kind of like the big boys going on the road against Towson or UMBC. If they don't win by 20 more, it feels like a loss. We've completely dominated locals over the years under Skerry because we have better players and are usually bigger and stronger. Officiating has been worse in the past, but you rarely get the benefit of a call, especially on the road against a local. I'd like to go back and watch Cam Holden's three-pointer that they took away from him that they said he kicked his legs out and took it away. I don't suggest we never play locals. You need to play 2-3 a year. Morgan wanted a guaranteed game. UMBC didn't want to play us with a new coach. It's strange to play just one, unless you count Navy, which could be tough.

I’d take 2. But we play these games to close for comfort. Umbc shouldn’t want to play us. They’ve won what once since Pat took over abs that was the 1-31 year? We smoked them the year they beat uva

feel like games at meac schools the officiating is always a bit suspect