• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Gibson leads MBB over Coppin State 89-75

59 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I don’t know what you’re asking. 
Could care less if they cover, being a good team  covering spreads doesn’t make it to the ncaat. 

Never said it’s going to be perfect.  Holden had struggled a bit recently due to defenses focusing  on him. We have the ability to have a few players go off each game. If we can get 3 or more playing well in a game we will be dangerous, but consistency is important

yawn.. I digress. if I say that sky is blue today with some clouds somehow you’ll argue and believe that I’m saying it’s green and raining..

Covering the spread is one of the better barometers for what you’re supposed to win by. Just saying we are supposed to win by 30 isn’t realistic when we are favored by 9.  

I agree Holden hasn’t been great but other guys playing well around him will force teams to continue the adjustments. To me it doesn’t matter who’s doing it each night as long as two of them are. As long as we are making the appropriate adjustments to the opponents defense I think we are fine. One of the things I like about the roster is the ability to adjust and it seems like the majority of the guys are good with their roles. Paar being the one exception from the games I’ve seen. 

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

We beat the hell out of Pat at times.  
He’s made adjustments and doing a real nice job thus far.   Again the pieces just seem to fit this season in addition to guys finally being healthy.  We may look back at the trio of CT/NT/Gibson and say that was the heck of a recruiting class.  Time will tell.  Lots of work ahead as he alluded to but this interview shows me PS has it all dialed in and couldn’t always say that in past seasons. 

32 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

He’s made adjustments and doing a real nice job thus far.   Again the pieces just seem to fit this season in addition to guys finally being healthy.  We may look back at the trio of CT/NT/Gibson and say that was the heck of a recruiting class.  Time will tell.  Lots of work ahead as he alluded to but this interview shows me PS has it all dialed in and couldn’t always say that in past seasons. 

He has made adjustments. They have worked this year.  Win a game in the CAAT.  Beat a good team. That’s what he’s struggled with. Beating up on bad teams is our MO

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Good point these guys have been a big contribution to the team’s success and we are lucky that they are young and still have a lot of towson basketball left to play 

• Like 1

It's too early to tell whether this is a better overall team than the one that had JB on it that won 25 games. We don't have a Jerrelle Benimon or defensive stoppers like Mike Burwell or Marcus Damas. We don't have a guy who can get to the rim and finish under the rim with contact like Guthrie. We don't have a dominant low post guy like Benimon or a defensive big like TJ Parker-Rivera or Bilal Dixon the year before. That team would launch more threes no doubt if they played now. But we do have better shooters, much better passers and a better bench. The bigs are not nearly as good but they can play better and the CAA is not exactly loaded with quality bigs. Beating Kent State and New Mexico away from home is pretty impressive. The Pitt loss was a bad one and Monmouth is really good. They beat Cincinnati. Of course, if we're not behind 24-1, we have a chance there. Sometimes I feel this team plays better on the road and starts out slow at home. 

I wish Hicks was a little bigger and had a better shot because he changes the game defensively when he's in, esp. when we press or trap. I think it's pretty obvious we need another transfer PG next season when Nolan moves on. Gibby is fine, but I still like him off the ball.

The bigger question is the CAA. Is it worse than advertised? Better?

When you look at the NET Rankings and they are the ones that matter: (we're 137 on KenPom, Charleson is 179, Hofstra is 143, Delaware is 145, Drexel 178, JMU 166, NE 156)

Kent State is 135 in the NET, Monmouth is 43, NM is 132, UNCG s 222.

Towson 74

74 80 Towson CAA 7-4 3-2 1-1 3-1 0-2 1-1 1-0 5-1
107 105 Col. of Charleston CAA 6-3 2-2 0-0 4-1 1-1 0-2 1-0 4-0
119 126 Hofstra CAA 4-5 1-5 0-0 3-0 0-2 0-1 1-2 3-0
134 128 Delaware CAA 8-3 2-2 2-1 4-0 0-1 0-1 2-1 6-0
144 141 James Madison CAA 7-2 2-0 1-2 4-0 0-1 0-0 4-1 3-0
167 164 Northeastern CAA 6-4 0-3 2-1 4-0 0-1 0-0 3-3 3-0
183 191 Drexel CAA 3-5 1-3 1-2 1-0 0-0 0-3 1-0 2-2
313 288 UNCW CAA 2-5 1-3 0-1 1-1 0-0 0-0 0-1 2-4
342 345 Elon CAA 0-8 0-3 0-3 0-2 0-2 0-1 0-3 0-2
348 347 William & Mary CAA 0-10 0-5 0-2 0-3 0-2 0-1 0-2 0-5
  • Like 2

W&M and UNCW are dreadful.  Elon is way below average.  I saw Delaware live and they're nothing special.  Charleston just barely survived in OT at home to something called the Blue Hose.  Madison has that win over Virginia to hang on their wall and maybe they're the class of the league at the moment.  Bottom line is that the way we've started out with these first 11 games, there's no reason why we can't be in the top 3 of the conference in the regular season and be in contention at the conference tourney.

• Like 3

Fang used to do that all the time when he was at Coppin and for the same reason -- build the athletics budget.  I don't think he pioneered it but he gained attention for it after Coppin beat South Carolina in the first round in 97.  Now, there are plenty of schools, especially MEAC/SWAC teams, that bolster the budget by getting their brains beat in on a game-by-game basis for 80-100K.  There's one team that has done it the last few years who has benefited from it.  Texas Southern gets toasted at all corners of the map but then they get into conference and use that experience from their nonconference roadtrip from hell to run through their conference and get into the NCAA Tournament.  Last Monday, Texas Southern went into Gainesville and not just beat the Gators but they beat the crap out of them.  If Coppin can capitalize on their experience of this and use it to win the MEAC, then it'll be worth it.

Coppin forgot their jerseys for their game last night at Drexel. Needed to wear the Drexel practice jerseys during the game…   Maybe they could of used a Kennedy trench coat 😂