• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Timberlake leads MBB to 69-52 win over Navy

11 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

As for the officials - very subpar.  They lost control of the game early and allowed so much bumping and holding in the post on both sides.  The flagrant on Holden shouldn’t have needed a review.  If you can’t judge that live, go back to HS officiating.  They even screwed us out of 10 secs on the shot clock when we were up 9 right before Timberlake hit a corner 3.  

Any F1 is going to be reviewed when there is a monitor. It’s way easier to explain an upgrade than a downgrade. Definitely could’ve been a F2. 

Not sure they screwed up the shot clock. The rules changed a bit this year with the reset. Any dead ball possession in the front court that would need a reset (dead ball TO, foul, back court, OB, etc) will be put back to 20. 

15 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

If my math is correct.   Non conference opponents combined for 80-77 record thus far and we played zero cupcakes!!!  No one thought Coppin would be 1-14 to start. 

If we continue to share the ball and knock down 3’s at this pace there is no doubt in my mind that is a 20+ win team.   11-7 in conference play is extremely attainable.  

Congrats to staff and players.  9-4!!!  

Spiro said it best today..  fast and furious pace of assists that truly hasn’t been seen the past decade during the Skerry era.  

11-7 is attainable?  We're statistically a top 2 CAA team after playing one of the best OOC schedules.  I think 15-3 in conference is attainable.  

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

Any F1 is going to be reviewed when there is a monitor. It’s way easier to explain an upgrade than a downgrade. Definitely could’ve been a F2. 

Not sure they screwed up the shot clock. The rules changed a bit this year with the reset. Any dead ball possession in the front court that would need a reset (dead ball TO, foul, back court, OB, etc) will be put back to 20. 

On the shot clock play in question, we took the ball out at 94 feet and Navy pressed.  Only reason why I noticed was because I was afraid of a 10-second call and I looked up at the shot clock and saw 15.  I can’t remember the play sequence prior to that but pretty sure it was a Navy free throw. 

Found it.  8:05 left, Navy was on FT line.  Shot clock sitting at 23 and never reset.  Gibson hit a 3 to put the lead back in double digits.  That’s a terrible miss by everyone involved. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Found it.  8:05 left, Navy was on FT line.  Shot clock sitting at 23 and never reset.  Gibson hit a 3 to put the lead back in double digits.  That’s a terrible miss by everyone involved. 

Yeah, that's bad.  

10 hours ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

🤞 they come back and conference play begins.  Despite thinking we have 😷 under control here while at today’s game @USF vs Southern Illinois they had game attendants holding signage up and enforcing everyone in the gym to keep their masks on.  Always have enforced checking your vaccination cards at the entrance to get in and that you have a mask on but many fans don’t fully wear and today they really cracked down fearing for the worst.  I would hope that 🏀 arenas across the country enforce all fans to keep their mask 😷 on and up.  These kids have worked their asses off and I don’t want to see any stoppages.  

Fans can wear masks have vaccines, not or whatever that’s not going to have an impact on the players.  It’s if the caa players don’t interact with a lot of people during break (19-24 year olds, they will).  There’s going to be lots of stops in January if they are testing vaccinated players frequently. Just the way it’s going to be 

• Like 1

Hofstra got a nice win at Monmouth last night. It is always dangerous to project based off non-conference play, but it seems like Hofstra has the highest upside in this conference. I think we are right there with James Madison and Delaware in terms of the next group. I also think Charleston seems like they might have the best coach in the league, and even though they don't look great so far I always respect Northeastern because Bill Coen has consistently been the best coach in the conference. Drexel seems like they could be decent and UNC-W, William & Mary and Elon look pretty bad so far. 

One of my favorite parts about this game is we have now played fairly well in road games at Navy (I know, pretty easy trip time wise), Ohio State, Kent State, Albany (who doesn't look very good), along with playing solid in neutral-site games against New Mexico and San Francisco. We were alright against Pittsburgh, and the only real big lapse we have had that has cost us in a big way was the start of the Monmouth game at home. It is good to see us play consistently away from home. 

Someone talked about our shooting being lights out and that being unsustainable, and while I somewhat agree, one of my favorite things about this roster coming into the year is guys like Charles Thompson, Nick Timberlake and Jason Gibson have not pressure to perform. They can let the game come to them. If they have hot nights they will lead us to victory and when they have off nights they can kind of fade into the background. This is especially the case for Timberlake and Gibson, since we are somewhat thin in quality in our frontcourt. The depth and unselfishness of this team are something I don't think I have seen since my freshman year of college when we had quality in Stevie Thomas, John James, Ralph Blalock and Scooter Alexander, and then guys like Moody, Keyes and Deron Robinson who contribute here and there. We had other good players with Benimon, but that was not a really deep team and we relied quite a bit on him. 

Last thing is the Three Man Wave podcast I have reference before talk about us as mid-major team that is playing well in a podcast over the weekend. You can listen around the 26 minute mark of episode #241. https://www.three-man-weave.com/podcasts

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Hofstra got a nice win at Monmouth last night. It is always dangerous to project based off non-conference play, but it seems like Hofstra has the highest upside in this conference. I think we are right there with James Madison and Delaware in terms of the next group. I also think Charleston seems like they might have the best coach in the league, and even though they don't look great so far I always respect Northeastern because Bill Coen has consistently been the best coach in the conference. Drexel seems like they could be decent and UNC-W, William & Mary and Elon look pretty bad so far. 

One of my favorite parts about this game is we have now played fairly well in road games at Navy (I know, pretty easy trip time wise), Ohio State, Kent State, Albany (who doesn't look very good), along with playing solid in neutral-site games against New Mexico and San Francisco. We were alright against Pittsburgh, and the only real big lapse we have had that has cost us in a big way was the start of the Monmouth game at home. It is good to see us play consistently away from home. 

Someone talked about our shooting being lights out and that being unsustainable, and while I somewhat agree, one of my favorite things about this roster coming into the year is guys like Charles Thompson, Nick Timberlake and Jason Gibson have not pressure to perform. They can let the game come to them. If they have hot nights they will lead us to victory and when they have off nights they can kind of fade into the background. This is especially the case for Timberlake and Gibson, since we are somewhat thin in quality in our frontcourt. The depth and unselfishness of this team are something I don't think I have seen since my freshman year of college when we had quality in Stevie Thomas, John James, Ralph Blalock and Scooter Alexander, and then guys like Moody, Keyes and Deron Robinson who contribute here and there. We had other good players with Benimon, but that was not a really deep team and we relied quite a bit on him. 

Last thing is the Three Man Wave podcast I have reference before talk about us as mid-major team that is playing well in a podcast over the weekend. You can listen around the 26 minute mark of episode #241. https://www.three-man-weave.com/podcasts

John James was a shot blocker.  One of the nicest guys on campus when I was there. 

I’m sold now on Rizzuto and his shooting skills.   19-44 from 3 now and looks really comfortable in this stretch.  
Him, Holden, NT and Gibson all shooting over 40% from 3.   And with Thompson playing his best ball right now (his hands are so much better) we can really be balanced.  Gray and Paar know their roles and are gonna really help us in conference play.  

Enjoying it all especially transfers getting to play right away etc.   Listening to Mike Montgomery last night on the Hawaii game telecast I can sense there is gonna be a big push to change this rule back etc.  

Reshuffling the deck each season is kinda cool from a fan’s standpoint and for a program that wants a quick turnaround.  

Skerry and staff really struck gold with some of our newcomers.  Holden just does so many things on the floor that don’t always show up in the stat sheet.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Hofstra is the best team. They can score. Followed by 

Charleston  

Towson/NE/Hens should be the next tier 

Elon can be dangerous. They just played such a hard ooc schedule. As did Charleston and Hofstra