• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Stat Update II

Towson is averaging 13.5 assists per game. I don't remember the last time that happened. I think we've run a similar system the last few years, but you have to have willing passers and strong shooters. Fobbs was great but wasn't a willing passer. The 1990-92 ECC title teams averaged around 13 assists per game. The 1990 team with Kurk Lee as the top player averaged 15apg.

They are also averaging 72.8 points and allowing 64.5 points per game. They are shooting 44% from the field and 37.1% from beyond the arc. Teams are shooting 40.5% from the field against TU and 31.9% from beyond the arc. Need to improve the FT shooting mark (70.3%). Outrebounding teams by 6.4 per game. Averaging 11.8 turnovers per game and forcing 13.1. Averaging 6.7 steals per game.

Timberlake is averaging 14.5 points on 42.4% three-point shooting to lead the team on 43.6% shooting from the field. Shooting 77% from the line. Nick has gone from Sixth Man of the Year in 2019-20 to quality starter that could push for one of the three All-CAA teams if he continues this in league play. Last season, he averaged 12.1points and shot 81.5% from the line for a bad team, but shot just 31.6% from 3-point and 36% from the field.

Holden, after a few poor offensive performances, is averaging 13.8 points and 9.5 rebounds with 21 steals on 48% shooting (42% 3pt). Averaging 2.9 assists per game, which seems very low. He's made some of the best passes on the team all year (33 turnovers). Weird that all of a sudden he's stopped shooting 3s. Shooting 70.6% from the line. He's still the straw that stirs the drink as evidenced today by his +23. When he sat in the second half after picking up his third foul, Navy began to decrease the lead to single figures. 

Nolan is averaging 12ppg on 35.9% shooting and 24.2% 3pt shooting (64.8% FT). The shooting numbers are well below his averages at Bradley and GW. He was a little over 34% from 3 his last two seasons. He's 15-of-62 this season. Maybe that's pressing from trying to get to the next level and becoming a first-time father. But as a playmaker, he's averaging just under 5.0 assists per game (4.8) and leads the team in steal with 22. Has 58 assists to 21 turnovers. That's key.

Gibson is averaging 10.6 points on 44.6% shooting and 43.6% from beyond the arc. That's after a poor shooting day in Annapolis. Has 19 assists and 12 turnovers in 10 games. 

Rizzuto is averaging 8.7 points on 40% shooting and 43.2% from beyond the arc. So Towson has Holden, Timberlake, Rizzuto and Gibson all shooting over 40% from three and you can add Gray (6-15), though a small sample size. Gray is averaging 6.8 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.3mpg off the bench.

Thompson adds 7.1 points an d4.8 rebounds with 20 blocks in 13 games. Shooting 54.5% from the field and 62.5% from the line.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/towson/1990.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/towson/1991.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/towson/1992.html

• Like 1

Our OOC opponents combined record is average, 69-78

Our OOC rpi sos is 163 of 358. Charleston NE Hofstra and Elon all had more difficult schedules than us. 
Our rpi is 83 and net 62.  

CAA rpi is 12th of 32 conferences 

CAA sos rpi is 14 of 32 conferences 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tu_fan said:

And starting with the Ohio road trip, we have hit on 47.2 of our 3's over the last 5 games.  

Thats amazing. Really a remarkable turnaround shooting 

Coppin State/LIU/Albany are 8-29 combined. That explains the blah OOC record I really don't have time to eliminate all the non-D1 teams they played. Beating a decent Navy team, crushing a pretty talented New Mexico team without three key players, beating up on 8-4 UNCG, beating up on now 5-5 Kent State on the road without Nolan. That's impressive and something that few on this board thought we could do. Are we perfect? Hell no. We have holes as do all in the CAA. But I think our chances, as long as we have no major injury issues and COVID, are pretty damn good and a lot better than we all thought before the season began.

To win a CAA title, you have to put three great games together in March. Relying on the three-point shot is foreign to us and some key guys are going to have off nights. Yes, getting back to tougher D, less fouling, getting to the cup and finishing, stronger post play could be the ultimate difference throughout conference play and when it matters in D.C. I also think that Nolan getting back to his career shooting numbers is crucial. He doesn't have to shoot 46% like Gibson, but over 30% from 3 and over 40% from 2pt along with his strong game-managing skills.

BTW, Nolan is 33rd in the nation right now with a 2.76 assist-to-turnover ratio

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/473

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Coppin State/LIU/Albany are 8-29 combined. That explains the blah OOC record I really don't have time to eliminate all the non-D1 teams they played. Beating a decent Navy team, crushing a pretty talented New Mexico team without three key players, beating up on 8-4 UNCG, beating up on now 5-5 Kent State on the road without Nolan. That's impressive and something that few on this board thought we could do. Are we perfect? Hell no. We have holes as do all in the CAA. But I think our chances, as long as we have no major injury issues and COVID, are pretty damn good and a lot better than we all thought before the season began.

To win a CAA title, you have to put three great games together in March. Relying on the three-point shot is foreign to us and some key guys are going to have off nights. Yes, getting back to tougher D, less fouling, getting to the cup and finishing, stronger post play could be the ultimate difference throughout conference play and when it matters in D.C. I also think that Nolan getting back to his career shooting numbers is crucial. He doesn't have to shoot 46% like Gibson, but over 30% from 3 and over 40% from 2pt along with his strong game-managing skills.

BTW, Nolan is 33rd in the nation right now with a 2.76 assist-to-turnover ratio

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/473

Ohio state. Monmouth and San Francisco are 30-6 so..   69-78 isn’t great but it’s better than some we have had

As the stats state, it was an average schedule with good results. We won most of those games comfortably. 

Biggest stat is the record....9-4.  If you took a straw poll after the non-conference I would be shocked if anyone had us at 9 wins.  We've lost to 2 P5's (yes I know Pitt  isnt good) and 2 teams that will probably be playing post-season basketball in March.  I think the most exciting things for me are; 1) we have multiple guys that can beat you any night 2) we aren't playing down to bad teams, we are blowing them out 3) we can make shots and are scoring inside 4) we are unselfish.  I feel like this team really likes eachother and is more worried about the whole than the parts.  I am not sure if we've had that since the Bennimon era. 

• Like 4