• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB edges Northeastern 70-67

If Nolan is going to miss anytime (hopefully he won’t) we’re severely disadvantaged if Hicks, who’s ostensibly the backup PG (though in a practical sense I guess it’s actually Holden) doesn’t contribute anything in terms of assists and/or scoring. I agree his D is exceptional. Best case scenario is Timberlake & Rizzuto shoot better, such that Hicks’ lack of offense is unimportant.  Paar is a different matter-to my untrained eye, it appears that many times when he puts the ball on the floor he gets stripped. While he’s certainly tall, he seems to lack the requisite strength to be anything more than a guy who can give you some minutes, in order to spell CT. If he averages 5 & 5 in conference play, I’d be over the moon 

We got our first conference win after having two games postponed already.  
Cam Holden is playing with a mask and put up a double double cause he is a stud.

Charles Thompson is quietly having a great season for a big man who has started in all 15 games averaging 25 minutes with 8 points and 5 boards a game.  We get another season of him!!!  How many times have bigs come into their own only to be Seniors for us and gone?

More importantly Charles was 5-6 from the line today and hit 2 crucial free throws for us in the second half.   Lots of bigs can’t make foul shots and he’s steadily improving   

Nick played better in the second half.   Rizzuto struggled with his shot but still contributed 7 bench points for us  

Gray aside from a silly turner on the behind the back dribble and some defensive lapses gave us 12 and 7 today.

We barely had Nolan and we got the win. Enjoy it.   This was a crazy week of Covid surges etc from the holidays.

Can we enjoy a victory and ease up on these guys   They are not Pros!!!!  A good team has guys that step up when other players struggle.

Of course we could play better and we have a shot to prove that against probably the best team in the league on Tuesday night.  Swing by and support this group cause I can’t remember the last time we had a core of guys who want to be at Towson and want to win for us all.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I think Paar has had issues off the floor that are probably hindering his confidence on the floor. He's capable of 5 and 5, though he's not going to average 18mpg. He just needs to play and produce what he can. To me, offensive production is about the guards. The bigs just need to defend, rebound and score when it's available. 

https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/chase-paar/7280

58 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

A W is a W; not our fault NE was depleted. But If Nolan is out, we’re in deep doo. Timberlake is in a funk in conference play so far, Rizzuto, imho has been a disappointment so far. The 2 of them shot 6-19 today. Hicks & Paar are good for about 0 ppg. Holden can’t do it all by himself. 

That’s fine. But when we are missing people/short handed let’s not use it as an excuse (not saying you do. In general)

57 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Wonder whats up with Nick? Is it mental? He has the killer instinct but surprised to see him not following thru in conference play. 

Lol killer instinct?? Not sure you are talking about the one on our team?   Holden and Nolan (maybe but he can’t shoot) have killer instincts 

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

We got our first conference win after having two games postponed already.  
Cam Holden is playing with a mask and put up a double double cause he is a stud.

Charles Thompson is quietly having a great season for a big man who has started in all 15 games averaging 25 minutes with 8 points and 5 boards a game.  We get another season of him!!!  How many times have bigs come into their own only to be Seniors for us and gone?

More importantly Charles was 5-6 from the line today and hit 2 crucial free throws for us in the second half.   Lots of bigs can’t make foul shots and he’s steadily improving   

Nick played better in the second half.   Rizzuto struggled with his shot but still contributed 7 bench points for us  

Gray aside from a silly turner on the behind the back dribble and how defensive lapses gave us 12 and 7 today.

We barely had Nolan and we got the win. Enjoy it.   This was a crazy week of Covid surges etc from the holidays.

Can we enjoy a victory and ease up on these guys   They are not Pros!!!!  A good team has guys that step up when other players struggle.

Of course we could play better and we have a shot to prove that against probably the best team in the league on Tuesday night.  Swing by and support this group cause I can’t remember the last time we had a core of guys who want to be at Towson and want to win for us all.  

I’ll be the 1st to admit that when it comes to TU MBB. I’m a glass half empty guy. Hard not to be after so many years of wandering in the desert. You are the quintessential glass half full guy. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not me. I hope when all is said & done that your eternal optimism is rewarded and my skepticism is unfounded 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

We barely had Nolan and we got the win. Enjoy it.  

And they didn’t have their top two players, coaches etc.  Drexel didn’t have butler in the second half.  It was good that we hung on against a very depleted team.

Everyone’s had Covid cancelations

I do agree about Charles.  Since Ohio state he has been our best and most consistent player. 

• Like 1

Nick needs a guard like Nolan getting him shots. That's what Gibson has to do more of is create shots for others, though he's better when he gets the ball near the 3-point line and has the open look. Nick's biggest issue, other than fluctuating confidence on offense, is his inability to create off the dribble. It's a shame because he can dunk on some people, but he doesn't have a crossover to create separation and drive by people. He has to use his athletic ability and cut to the basket to get easier looks. Or run off screens. PS loves the kid, but he did mention him in the post game interview. He rarely does that after a win or even a loss. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Nick needs a guard like Nolan getting him shots. That's what Gibson has to do more of is create shots for others, though he's better when he gets the ball near the 3-point line and has the open look. Nick's biggest issue, other than fluctuating confidence on offense, is his inability to create off the dribble. It's a shame because he can dunk on some people, but he doesn't have a crossover to create separation and drive by people. He has to use his athletic ability and cut to the basket to get easier looks. Or run off screens. PS loves the kid, but he did mention him in the post game interview. He rarely does that after a win or even a loss. 

This is a good take. The 1st basket of the game tonight was by Timberlake, off a nice assist by Nolan. Nolan appeared to be on his way to a big game, at least assist wise, before going out. So while Hicks is a Tasmanian Devil on D, he’s not likely to create open looks for others. 

Edited by TSU88

One last thing. If Nolan is not on the floor, or even if he is, try and get the ball into Gibson's hands late in the game when you are up 10 or less with under a minute left. Best foul shooter on the team. I don't want Cam with the ball in that situation with the mask on or even without it. He was around 69% from the line before the fractured jaw. Nolan was worse. Timberlake had it and was waiting to get fouled. Then he lost the ball. He's a fine FT shooter, but give Gibby the ball in all those situations. He's our Four. 

32 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’ll be the 1st to admit that when it comes to TU MBB. I’m a glass half empty guy. Hard not to be after so many years of wandering in the desert. You are the quintessential glass half full guy. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s not me. I hope when all is said & done that your eternal optimism is rewarded and my skepticism is unfounded 

Distance makes the heart grow fonder..  I’ve had no Winters for 25 years out here and so yes I’m overly positive but I see everyone’s point of view.   I just take nothing for granted and again a depleted team or not we got a win after a Drexel game that drove us all to drink.  Lots to fix but we weren’t even planning to have Cam playing already and this kid is truly special.  

• Like 1