• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Gibson leads MBB over Hofstra 78-66 (story)

7 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

I’ve never met someone more half empty about a team they root for. You’re Randy Quaid in Major League II. 

Haha. Sure… 

Just simply stating a fact. Don’t have time to look it up but we likely be in the top 3/4 in the league in those wins!

I’m glad being cautious with Nolan and Hicks with those symptoms.   
Most of us remember Hank Gathers & Reggie Lewis.  Heart issues however I don’t want to live through that sadness again for an athlete.   Knock on wood both our guys get a clean bill of health soon.  

• Like 1

I'm not saying this is the perfect team, but they are enjoyable to watch and as PS said, even in the Drexel loss, they get a ton of open looks. They just didn't make them. What we need now are healthy guys. When Rizzuto (3 treys) makes three-pointers, it really opens it up for everything. Sure, you are going to have nights where everybody is off, but if you can just get two, you have a good shot of winning like tonight. You get three, then it's over. 

Cam Holden is the straw the stirs the drink. He's a unicorn. I don't think I've ever encountered a player like him in my 31+ years of covering the program. Dude is 6-5 and maybe 210 playing power forward. With a fractured jaw, that kind of limits what you can eat. But he's out there, with no Terry Nolan, running the offense down the stretch with a mask. Making a key 3. Hitting his FTs. All with the mask on that probably doesn't help your peripheral vision. He compared it to a football face mask and in some respect, he's like a dual-threat quarterback. Running the show and hitting open guys because bigger guys are defending him. So they often need help and other guys leave their man. That leaves a ton of guys open. It's nice to have somebody smart enough to recognize the difference between a scorer and a playmaker. His IQ is off the charts.

Watching him live do his thing in this era of a pandemic where you don't know who's going to play from game to game is a pleasure. I hope people will go out and get a chance to watch this team play and Cam do his thing. Even in games where we don't play our best. he's going to deliver passes to open guys and may not get the assist, because the recipient throws an extra pass. They may not make half of even 1/3 of their shots from 3-point range, but this is what we wanted. Teams that will shoot 3s a decent amount, pressure the ball some and have good guard play. We're moving forward not backwards with most of these core guys returning next season (hopefully) and some additions that will mirror this new philosophy.

Nobody is perfect. If we expect perfection as fans, we set them up to fail. These are college kids, going through a pandemic, trying the best they can to win games. Hopefully, the end result will be what we hope for. But even if it doesn't, I think we're on the right path with the right type of players.

Until then, as BAT says: "Enjoy the ride". It will be bumpy at times. There will be some big highs and tough lows. That doesn't just mean wins and losses. A victory for me is to somehow get through this season playing every game with healthy players. This team really does like each other and wants to win. When your best player is not just about stats and doesn't care if he's going to be all-conference (he will if he stays healthy), we're in good shape.

Perfection. We all strive for it, but it's not attainable. I just wish this team can remain healthy as possible. As PS said and I know this is the times we live in, but for just a few weeks of having everyone healthy (in the rotation) at the same time. Preferably in late February.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I'm not saying this is the perfect team, but they are enjoyable to watch and as PS said, even in the Drexel loss, they get a ton of open looks. They just didn't make them. What we need now are healthy guys. When Rizzuto (3 treys) makes three-pointers, it really opens it up for everything. Sure, you are going to have nights where everybody is off, but if you can just get two, you have a good shot of winning like tonight. You get three, then it's over. 

Cam Holden is the straw the stirs the drink. He's a unicorn. I don't think I've ever encountered a player like him in my 31+ years of covering the program. Dude is 6-5 and maybe 210 playing power forward. With a fractured jaw, that kind of limits what you can eat. But he's out there, with no Terry Nolan, running the offense down the stretch with a mask. Making a key 3. Hitting his FTs. All with the mask on that probably doesn't help your peripheral vision. He compared it to a football face mask and in some respect, he's like a dual-threat quarterback. Running the show and hitting open guys because bigger guys are defending him. So they often need help and other guys leave their man. That leaves a ton of guys open. It's nice to have somebody smart enough to recognize the difference between a scorer and a playmaker. His IQ is off the charts.

Watching him live do his thing in this era of a pandemic where you don't know who's going to play from game to game is a pleasure. I hope people will go out and get a chance to watch this team play and Cam do his thing. Even in games where we don't play our best. he's going to deliver passes to open guys and may not get the assist, because the recipient throws an extra pass. They may not make half of even 1/3 of their shots from 3-point range, but this is what we wanted. Teams that will shoot 3s a decent amount, pressure the ball some and have good guard play. We're moving forward not backwards with most of these core guys returning next season (hopefully) and some additions that will mirror this new philosophy.

Nobody is perfect. If we expect perfection as fans, we set them up to fail. These are college kids, going through a pandemic, trying the best they can to win games. Hopefully, the end result will be what we hope for. But even if it doesn't, I think we're on the right path with the right type of players.

Until then, as BAT says: "Enjoy the ride". It will be bumpy at times. There will be some big highs and tough lows. That doesn't just mean wins and losses. A victory for me is to somehow get through this season playing every game with healthy players. This team really does like each other and wants to win. When your best player is not just about stats and doesn't care if he's going to be all-conference (he will if he stays healthy), we're in good shape.

Perfection. We all strive for it, but it's not attainable. I just wish this team can remain healthy as possible. As PS said and I know this is the times we live in, but for just a few weeks of having everyone healthy (in the rotation) at the same time. Preferably in late February.

Can’t agree more about the high IQ from Holden   He always seems to know what to do and is very calm about it. He’s never in a rush and doesn’t seem to ever be moving too quickly. 

59 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Can’t agree more about the high IQ from Holden   He always seems to know what to do and is very calm about it. He’s never in a rush and doesn’t seem to ever be moving too quickly. 

You just don’t see players like him anymore.   A true throwback type of player. Most of what he doesgoes unnoticed.  

Edited by RundaPower
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, RundaPower said:

You just don’t see players like him anymore.   A true throwback type of player. Most of what he doesgoes unnoticed.  

He’s 6’5” and he threw a bounce pass to CT from just over mid court so naturally like he was Magic Johnson.  The broken jaw, the way he sets screens for his teammates..  his patience and poise when he has the ball in his hands.   He’s a special player and truly a Swiss Army Knife.  
Again I mentioned this before.  Unlike seasons past this group of players just fits together nicely.  

• Like 1