• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Shorthanded MBB holds on to beat Elon 59-54 (story up)

We have gotten it done with different guys different nights, gotta love the grit and poise this team has. We have some fight in us regardless out who is starting/sitting that particular night. Getting all the guys involved helps them progress and build confidence. Hats off to Gil for performing tonight. Hail to the towson tigers!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066744/juwan-gray

The x-factor for this team is Juwan Gray, who had 14 pts and 9 rebs. in 36 minutes today. When I heard he was coming back as the 14th scholarship player (allowed this year), I thought ok, He's coming off an Achilles' injury. He's had a meh career and has been injured twice in two seasons. He shot 28% from 3pt and about 42% overall with 4.5rpg. So I didn't expect him to be such a key impact player. In fact, if you are looking for Sixth Man of the Year candidates, he should be up there. I would say Gibby as well, but he's been a starter and backup a bunch of times and his production has been up-and-down. But Gray has been fairly consistent and he's shooting (by far) the best he's shot here by a longshot: 55% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc with 4.2rpg in 20mpg. He was averaging around 25mpg in his first two seasons so he's playing less minutes, but is being more efficient. Maybe it's the Cam effect or playing with better players around him, but also I think the additional weight helps. He's finishing much better around the basket and he's not just firing shots from the perimeter. 

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066744/juwan-gray

The x-factor for this team is Juwan Gray, who had 14 pts and 9 rebs. in 36 minutes today. When I heard he was coming back as the 14th scholarship player (allowed this year), I thought ok, He's coming off an Achilles' injury. He's had a meh career and has been injured twice in two seasons. He shot 28% from 3pt and about 42% overall with 4.5rpg. So I didn't expect him to be such a key impact player. In fact, if you are looking for Sixth Man of the Year candidates, he should be up there. I would say Gibby as well, but he's been a starter and backup a bunch of times and his production has been up-and-down. But Gray has been fairly consistent and he's shooting (by far) the best he's shot here by a longshot: 55% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc with 4.2rpg in 20mpg. He was averaging around 25mpg in his first two seasons so he's playing less minutes, but is being more efficient. Maybe it's the Cam effect or playing with better players around him, but also I think the additional weight helps. He's finishing much better around the basket and he's not just firing shots from the perimeter. 

We tend to forget that Gray was a legit rotation guy for San Diego as a freshman way back in the 2016-17 season.   He rebounded the ball efficiently and shot 40% from 3.   I said early on this season that possibly his best basketball days are ahead of him.  Takes athletes after major injuries to start feeling comfortable..  football (6 games) and basketball (8-10 games) where you truly forget about the injury etc.