• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Gibson leads MBB over W&M 91-69

Junior Jason Gibson scored 22 points and hit six 3-pointers to lead Towson over William & Mary 91-69 on Monday night from Kaplan Arena in Williamsburg. The Tigers improved to 4-1 in the CAA after the victory and reached a mark of 13-5 overall for the first time in school history.

Gibson, who missed the Elon game on Saturday due to a death in the family, came out on fire, nailing five threes and 17 points in the first half. But the Tigers were only up by 11 but they completely dominated the second half to the point that Pat Skerry could empty the bench with under four minutes left in the game.

Cam Holden added 15 points and 11 rebounds, while Nicolas Timberlake broke of a shooting slump to pump in 17 points (all in the second half).

Here are some comments from Skerry after the game on the post-game show on TowsonTigers.com:

"Really proud of our guys. Really good performance. Only six turnovers. Made 3s. Glad Jason Gibson was able to get down today. Death in his family. Says a lot of about his toughness and high quality kid. Nick's defense and intelligence. Chase Paar was really good. Tyler Gill had 2 assists and no turnovers. Any win on the road is gold. The ball movement on offense was sensational.

"A little bit of foul trouble early and Chase stepped up. Charles was a man inside. I've said this before. Darrick Jones and Chris Biekeu have practiced well and are getting better. Guys have to stay ready. I hope it's a really long season. That would be great.

Cam makes those plays like the team gets it down to 10 and he comes up with a man's rebound with two hands. He's just so tough and competitive. Same with Timberlake and Antonio (Rizzuto). It's a fun group to watch when they move the ball."

William & Mary is not a good team, but they beat Hofstra and Elon at home and had JMU up big on Saturday before losing in OT.

Here's what we have: The best rebounding team as usual in the league at a +6.5 ratio. That's normal.

You have quality bigs in Thompson and Paar with Gray and Holden who can go inside-out. Surround them with THE BEST three-point shooting team in the league. We shot 44% from three-point range tonight and lead the league in three-point percentage at over 36% and in field goal defense at 40.

I know the schedule gets tougher with Charleston and UNCW coming up at home. Need to use your size up front to go inside and out. Maybe Nolan returns, maybe not. If he does, the defense gets better. If he doesn't, well it's all about Gibson, Timberlake and Rizzuto to defend and hit some 3s.

• Like 1

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we’re the best 3-point shooting team in the league. What a refreshing, and long overdue, development 

• Like 3

This team is playing with confidence and unselfishness. We gave them a whooping to the point where you almost have to feel bad for the fans that came out to watch W&M. Love that different guys are getting quality minutes to develop and grow. Would like to see lots of these guys come back next year bigger and stronger. Been a fun ride so far this year. The train continues on. I think we have found out rhythm and it plays to our advantage that we have games basically every other day for the next two weeks. Keep the good times rolling. We seem to cool off after extended breaks. Need to keep the 3’s raining! We have never been this fun to watch? Hope some good crowds will come out to secu to support the boys and girls 

• Like 1

“Ain’t no stoppin us now! We’re on the move!”

All you younger Towson fans need to add McFadden & Whitehead to your music 

“There’s been so many things that’s held us down

But now it looks like things are finally comin’ around 

I know we’ve got, a long long way to go 

And where we’ll end up, I don’t know”

13-5 and this is not fools gold.  I think we have something special here.  We all deserve this and the simple fact that eventually we will get Nolan and Hicks back and Chris/Derrick are fighting to get playing time tells me this group could really do something special.   Time will tell. 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

“Ain’t no stoppin us now! We’re on the move!”

All you younger Towson fans need to add McFadden & Whitehead to your music 

“There’s been so many things that’s held us down

But now it looks like things are finally comin’ around 

I know we’ve got, a long long way to go 

And where we’ll end up, I don’t know”

13-5 and this is not fools gold.  I think we have something special here.  We all deserve this and the simple fact that eventually we will get Nolan and Hicks back and Chris/Derrick are fighting to get playing time tells me this group could really do something special.   Time will tell. 

Once Nolan & Hicks return, you’re not going to quote “Reunited” by Peaches 🍑 & Herb, are you?😆. Just kidding with you. It’s a helluva lot more fun than griping about some of our offensively challenged teams of the past. Who knows where this will wind up, but it’s sure fun right now. I would imagine the team’s confidence is burgeoning, which hopefully will manifest itself in the upcoming home stand. Still want to see how we fare vs DE, C of C & JMU, but it would appear we can more than hold our own against anyone in the conference 

• Haha 1

Another nice road win. Offense was clicking. Nice to see nick do something in garbage time hopefully that gets him going. Always nice to beat Wm and their old smug fans 

Need to defend the threes better and box out. Next two games are going to be tough. Hope Thursday Jmu takes Uncw to 5 OT. They win tonight on turning Charleston over.