• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MLax thread for 2022 and 2023

I haven't really been following lax at all this year but what happened? are we just bad at lacrosse now? are we young? key injuries? I just feel like we went from going to the final 4 to getting beat by UMBC, gross....just gross.

this is just another reason the death of the CAA is killing us. We went from having Penn State, UMass and Villanova as league games to Hampton, Monmouth and Fairfield. Our schedule is trash so why would top talent play here? No more hopkins, college park on the schedule. Big games people used to tailgate for when I was in school. 

11 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

I haven't really been following lax at all this year but what happened? are we just bad at lacrosse now? are we young? key injuries? I just feel like we went from going to the final 4 to getting beat by UMBC, gross....just gross.

this is just another reason the death of the CAA is killing us. We went from having Penn State, UMass and Villanova as league games to Hampton, Monmouth and Fairfield. Our schedule is trash so why would top talent play here? No more hopkins, college park on the schedule. Big games people used to tailgate for when I was in school. 

We haven’t played Maryland for years in non-conference play and with new teams in the conference, they had to drop a non- conference game. Recruiting started was before the CAA added Monmouth and Hampton so I can’t agree with that. They are just not getting the job done when it comes to getting better athletes and fundamentally sound players lately. We are turning it over a record pace and the same players are making the same mistakes 

16 hours ago, mat1992 said:

We haven’t played Maryland for years in non-conference play and with new teams in the conference, they had to drop a non- conference game. Recruiting started was before the CAA added Monmouth and Hampton so I can’t agree with that. They are just not getting the job done when it comes to getting better athletes and fundamentally sound players lately. We are turning it over a record pace and the same players are making the same mistakes 

The growth of the sport is killing us too.  We used to be able to get quality players because the options for players to go play high level D1 schools was limited.  Used to be if a player didn't go to the Syracuse, Hopkins, or Marylands of the world we had a chance to grab a few of those players.  Now those players have additional options,  Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State.  We can't compete with the Power 5's. As the sport continues to grow and more of the bigger schools start programs, unfortunately I think Towson lacrosse will become similar to Towson basketball.   That may be a slight exaggeration but not too far off. 

3 hours ago, Blazer49 said:

The growth of the sport is killing us too.  We used to be able to get quality players because the options for players to go play high level D1 schools was limited.  Used to be if a player didn't go to the Syracuse, Hopkins, or Marylands of the world we had a chance to grab a few of those players.  Now those players have additional options,  Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State.  We can't compete with the Power 5's. As the sport continues to grow and more of the bigger schools start programs, unfortunately I think Towson lacrosse will become similar to Towson basketball.   That may be a slight exaggeration but not too far off. 

I don’t see the comparison with basketball and there’s no reason why you can’t compete to win your league. Those big schools are not in the CAA.

Now, despite complaining about recruiting, it seemed like it has picked up, at least in the last year when they got Weisshaar, Villagomez and Schier. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:01 PM, mat1992 said:

I don’t see the comparison with basketball and there’s no reason why you can’t compete to win your league. Those big schools are not in the CAA.

Now, despite complaining about recruiting, it seemed like it has picked up, at least in the last year when they got Weisshaar, Villagomez and Schier. 

Not saying we are going P5 but gotta leave the CAA asap. To what I don't know but Dr. E needs to be working the phones to get us someplace with better-aligned schools. I firmly believe a breakaway league needs to be started with us and UD, W&M, and some convo of the OVC and Missouri Valley football schools. Lax can be an associate member of the Patriot league or even the America East, both are better lax leagues than the CAA.

For football, we are already going up to Maine and for basketball to Charleston. All the way to Chicago is the same distance

2 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Not saying we are going P5 but gotta leave the CAA asap. To what I don't know but Dr. E needs to be working the phones to get us someplace with better-aligned schools. I firmly believe a breakaway league needs to be started with us and UD, W&M, and some convo of the OVC and Missouri Valley football schools. Lax can be an associate member of the Patriot league or even the America East, both are better lax leagues than the CAA.

For football, we are already going up to Maine and for basketball to Charleston. All the way to Chicago is the same distance

Well Delaware and wm have things to offer other leagues. What do we have?  We are likely the 6th at best most attractive school in a league that hasn’t won a meaningful game in March in over a decade.  

Too many different needs in this league.  Hockey, baseball, football, basketball, lacrosse (lol). There are no schools aligned really besides uncw and Charleston (hoops and baseball, they won’t worry about fcs football and niche lax). 

• Like 2