• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds off Charleston 74-67

Skerry opening comments

"Hard-fought game. We knew it was going to be a tough game. Charleston is good. Pat Kelsay is a terrific coach. We saw that at Winthrop. They're just so deep and physical. They get to the foul line. They blitz the quarterback on every possession. We knew it was going to be hard to keep them out of the lane and off the glass. We're fortunate. Down the stretch, we had some good ball movement and made some timely shots.

On what he said at the half about the rebounding disadvantage

"Words of encouragement. Charles really stepped up in the second half. He was a presence in the second half. We had two or three offensive rebounds in the first half. We have to do a better job of blocking out. They come. They have a ton of guys. Their five men: One guy has a 7-6 reach and the other guy is built like an Avenger. They just bash you. They played a tough schedule and won a lot of games. We made enough plays. Can't say enough about Juwan Gray. He had a turnover-bad play call by me coming out of the timeout. He had the mental toughness to make a three on the next possession. Good win."

On Juwan

"He's an easy guy to root for. Fully torn Achilles. He's back. Good student. Good teammate. We need his defense. Thought Juwan did a good job on Meeks. He helped us filling a lot of different roles throughout the season without complaining."

On Nolan's minutes

"The goal was to get him to 20. That's good. He made his first couple of shots. Thought his defense was pretty good. Need him to get his legs back a little bit, which will come. We need his energy. This is the fifth game we've had our top eight guys. We have to figure out shot selection, whose night it is. To get where we want to get to, it's going to be different guys on different nights. "

On Cam

"He didn't finish like he normally does. That kid Meeks is very good and he had to work defensively. That takes a lot out of you. He makes plays. Had a big steal. Made foul shots. He has a really high IQ. He has to play and has to be out there."

On Defense

"I thought Jason did a good job on (Reyne) Smith, who is a very good shooter. It's tough to keep them out of the lane. They play at the fastest tempo in the country. We had a bad stretch and when we finally settled in, reversed it and got some good shots. It's hard to play against them with their pace and they way they attack the backboards."

We were very good on defense other than fouling. We regressed in that area today. We need to keep UNCW out of the lane and off the foul line."

As mentioned above, very encouraging when your leading scorer has an off-night & you still get the W. Also, as mentioned above, Gray is really an important cog, with his leadership, D & scoring. Nice to see Nolan back and nice to see Timberlake scoring well the last 2 games. 

C of C reminds me of recent past TU teams-best offensive play is a missed shot. They’ve got some muscled up dudes.

Rumble for 1st place tomorrow. Granted, it’s still relatively early in conference play, but is this the biggest conference regular season game in the Skerry era?🤔

I was just thinking the same thing #1 vs #2 in the conference at the moment. Big game Saturday in a packed sports weekend! Maybe the biggest home game in the skerry era? Hope the students show up, of course I’m working tomorrow trying to keep my job smh lol but that’s life. UNCW has won some close games and I see they also lost to Pitt earlier in the season. Great test for the most fun and nicest group of guys Towson has ever had. I hope in a few months we can say with confidence these guys are the best team Towson basketball has ever had! Been a fun ride, love our guys! Chef Skerry cooking up some sizzle on offense

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I was just thinking the same thing #1 vs #2 in the conference at the moment. Big game Saturday in a packed sports weekend! Maybe the biggest home game in the skerry era? Hope the students show up, of course I’m working tomorrow trying to keep my job smh lol but that’s life. UNCW has won some close games and I see they also lost to Pitt earlier in the season. Great test for the most fun and nicest group of guys Towson has ever had. I hope in a few months we can say with confidence these guys are the best team Towson basketball has ever had! Been a fun ride, love our guys! Chef Skerry cooking up some sizzle on offense

No students on campus save for athletes 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

As mentioned above, very encouraging when your leading scorer has an off-night & you still get the W. Also, as mentioned above, Gray is really an important cog, with his leadership, D & scoring. Nice to see Nolan back and nice to see Timberlake scoring well the last 2 games. 

C of C reminds me of recent past TU teams-best offensive play is a missed shot. They’ve got some muscled up dudes.

Rumble for 1st place tomorrow. Granted, it’s still relatively early in conference play, but is this the biggest conference regular season game in the Skerry era?🤔

Eh. There were a couple a few years ago that kept us in the hunt going into the last weekend for a top 2/3 seed

benimon and co senior night was probably the biggest. Beat any on national tv in front of almost a packed house.