• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB holds off Charleston 74-67

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=370335

This was one of those games that you need to win to have a successful season. When your best player goes 2-for-12 from the field and grabs just four rebounds (but does have five assists and three steals) in 38 minutes, you need somebody to step up. That player was Juwan Gray, who had 15 points and seven rebounds off the bench. Charles Thompson added six blocks and 10 rebounds. Nicolas Timberlake led the Tigers with 17 points on 5-of-10 shooting (5-5 FT). He hit four big free throws down the stretch to cement the win.

Towson shot just 39% from the field and had 11 turnovers with 12 assists. It was a sloppy, never performance on offense and they were outrebounded by five. But they made 8-of-21 from beyond the arc (38%) and held the Cougars to just 33% from the field.

More later...

• Like 1

A great team win. Charleston tried to be super physical with us. It worked to a degree, but we were a bit more physical than they were.

Before I get to the comments, thank God Juwan Gray returned this season. He didn't have to, but he gives us leadership and he's playing lights out. And he's become a threat at the three-point line (34%). What I saw out of Charleston tonight was a little what we used to see out of some of the PS teams from the post-Benimon era. No real stars, some outstanding defense and a few good shooters. That defense was as good as we'll probably see all year in the CAA. We got very few clean looks from the outside and they took away Gibby's open threes. Now part of that was that they didn't have to double the post because CT and Cam struggled to finish in the so-called red-zone. I thought Cam made some winning plays as usual, but he didn't seem to have the same lift. I don't know what his diet is with a fractured jaw, but I assume he's not eating a lot of steaks. When you can't eat solid foods, it probably ends up limiting your energy and then he plays 38 minutes. He was also defending a lot of small forwards so that energy may have bothered him on the offensive end.

Charles Thompson

"It was a real physical game. They have a lot of dudes that look like action figures. We had a couple of possessions where we played really good defense, but we didn't finish because we didn't box out and get rebounds. Need to be more physical than they were."

On this game compared to Elon

"They have different styles. Elon likes to shoot it and Charleston is more physical. They are the most physical team we played so far. "

Coach Skerry says we're a defensive team. When we don't shoot it well as we did tonight, we hang our hats on the defensive end. We weren't really worried. We just stuck to our calling card."

On his blocks

"I had a similar game like this last season. They had a transfer (Peyton Willis) who went to Minnesota. They had a bunch of guys who would back you into the lane. It was a playstyle that allowed me to have so many blocks today (six)."

Juwan Gray

"The key was our defense. On a night where our offense wasn't where it usually is, we always hang our hat on our defense.Just being really aggressive on defense helped us get the win."

On offense

"We were missing shots. We were a little quick in our offensive set and didn't get into the full flow. Other than that, we just missed shots."

We always have to grind it out. Every game isn't going to be pretty. We have to continue to run offense."

On his offense

"Had the same mindset coming into every game and that's playing your role. I'm always going to play defense. Tonight I was making the right plays offensively. My teammates were setting me up to make shots."

On Sixth Man role

"It feels good to be playing basketball again. I'm taking every moment and cherishing it. Happy to be on the floor."

Differences this year and last

"The biggest difference is off the floor. This is a great group of guys to be around. We have a lot of experience. The transfers played a lot games in their previous schools."

On being picked 8th

"Just let the people talk. We knew we weren't an 8th place team. Now, people will say watch out for Towson. We had that knowledge already that we were a good team. Our mantra is be where our feet are. We're going to prepare for UNCW on Saturday."

Nick Timberlake

"Towson is usually known as a physical team. The new coach at Charleston has done a good job at matching our physicality. THis was the most physical game we had all year."

On philosophy of Skerry (whether it has changed)

"He hasn't changed it all. It's more personnel. When our offense isn't flowing, our defense is there, so we rely heavily on our defense when we have an off night offensively."

On being on a five-game winning streak

"Winning is winning. We're happy when we go to practice. It's not any different from anything we ever had."

On big dunk

"I saw the hoop and no one there. H was trailing me. I went up, closed my eyes and tried to punch it on him."

On difference of team from last year's

The brotherhood that we have. Off the court. We all like each other. We're always joking around.