• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls in OT to UNCW 81-77

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=370336

Shykeim Phillips scored 18 points to lead UNCW over Towson 81-77 in overtime on Saturday afternoon. Phillips was basically unguardable most of the afternoon as the Tigers saw a 12-point second-half lead dwindle the point where UNCW took a 1-point lead with seconds remaining. Terry Nolan had a chance to put Towson ahead, but he made 1 of 2. 

Cam Holden led the Tigers with 18 points and seven boards, but was called for a Flagrant foul late in the game and also called a timeout in overtime with Towson up two when they had no timeouts left. Nicolas Timberlake and Antonio Rizzuto added 16 points apiece.

For the second straight game, Towson was outrebounded. This time it was only by two, but they allowed 16 offensive rebounds. Towson also turned it over 13 times, while the Seahawks committed just seven.

But ultimately, it came down to Towson's inability to defend Phillips, forcing them to go zone late in the game, which produced some stops. But also allowed Jaylen Fornes to get open in the corner for the game-clinching play.

More comments later...

Ok, now to the comments about the game. One of the most disappointing home losses in recent memory. Good crowd. Spirited crowd. Facing an undefeated team and they figured out a way. The rebounding issue is a major concern now. It's one thing to get outrebounded by a physical Charleston team and it's another to give up 50-50 rebounds. Holden can only do so much with a fractured jaw and there's no doubt his energy is not where it was before the injury, since he's not really taking solid food. So you need Timberlake and Rizzuto (1 reb) to get on the boards more. That's basically what PS said in the press conference. The guards have to help out.

As for Phillips, did we go to zone a little late because he was getting what he wanted against Gibson, Rizzuto and Timberlake? Sure. I probably would have looked for Nolan on him, but that's where we miss Hicks. As PS also sort of insinuated and his staff has to figure out, whether they are too slow on the perimeter to go zone. Or to forsake offense and go quicker with Nolan and Hicks, if he was available. Maybe more zone is needed with Gray at the top of the zone in a basic 1-3-1 or 3-2.

Offensively, we missed the last nine three-pointers. We certainly had our chances with drives to the basket and shots underneath. Nolan (1-for-8) is really struggling right now and it's not just coming back off his medical issues. Sure, it would be nice to see him get a call or two on drives, though maybe he was looking for the all too much. He had five assists today and when it's there, he's the best passer on the team. I thought he made a poor decision on a 2-of-1 and had Timberlake for the easy flush or layup had he just dished it to his left. He's so important to the success of this team due to his athletic ability and as a passer. He still needs to give us 10-12 pts for us to have a shot.

I also think we need to get Gibson more shots. Going 1 for 4 is not enough and maybe if Nolan is ready, you go back to Gibson at the 1 or bring him off the bench. Run him off screens because he needs to get at least 4-6 three point shots a game. They really need to get him in rhythm. But for the second straight game, we were not able to get many open looks from 3. The passing was good (16 assists), but still would like to see 11 get more 3 looks. Timberlake had a wide open look late that he missed completely. Gray had a corner look. Rizzuto missed his last few threes. Don't think Cam should be shooting 3s anymore or at least he gets the mask off. I know he called that timeout with no TOs left and had the Flagrant, but I can't question a kid who gives it his all and arguably one of the best people we've had off the floor.

Can't rest with Delaware coming up on Monday, but this one hurts.

Awful effort on the glass for a 3rd straight game. Becoming an issue…

knew it would be tough to stop good guards. We just aren’t quick enough. Liked that Pat finally changed to a 3-2 late but it was after like 5 straight possessions were Phillips went 1-1 didn’t pass on the possession and torch Nolan Gibson and rizzuto. It must be nice to have guards take over late. Some on the black and gold just try and play hero ball… especially today

should have went down low every time  had success and went away from it a bit. 

cams timeout call actually probably helped as it was 2 free throws.  He was going to be called for a walk anyway.  Fouled way too much. 

this team is 3-6 seed with 4/5 most likely. 

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Awful effort on the glass for a 3rd straight game. Becoming an issue…

knew it would be tough to stop good guards. We just aren’t quick enough. Liked that Pat finally changed to a 3-2 late but it was after like 5 straight possessions were Phillips went 1-1 didn’t pass on the possession and torch Nolan Gibson and rizzuto. It must be nice to have guards take over late. Some on the black and gold just try and play hero ball… especially today

should have went down low every time  had success and went away from it a bit. 

cams timeout call actually probably helped as it was 2 free throws.  He was going to be called for a walk anyway.  Fouled way too much. 

this team is 3-6 seed with 4/5 most likely. 

There is a reason why we recruited Phillips but another reason we recruited Hicks. To slow down Tyson Walker and Phillips. He's probably the only guard quick enough to slow him down Phillips, though Phillips is much bigger and stronger. We're only going to see him one more time, maybe twice. Gibson had the same issues against Walker and well, most teams did. I'm more worried about the rebounding. 

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

There is a reason why we recruited Phillips but another reason we recruited Hicks. To slow down Tyson Walker and Phillips. He's probably the only guard quick enough to slow him down Phillips, though Phillips is much bigger and stronger. We're only going to see him one more time, maybe twice. Gibson had the same issues against Walker and well, most teams did. I'm more worried about the rebounding. 

Luckily okara didn’t play much due to foul trouble and Simms was off. Pretty much all of their games have been close, ours have not and it showed on both sides.  9-5 with an 8 game winning streak is impressive 

Couldn’t believe the officiating crew this afternoon stopping to help UNCW any chance they could. Can’t blame it all on the refs but they certainly hurt us. Wish we could rebound like teams of the past. Would like to see some better in game adjustments by skerry to finish out these games. Towson gets into these games that could be life changing and can’t seem to get the big win we have all been craving. We got the potential we just gotta execute better. Year is far from over. Ball if life. The train keeps chugging along 

Cam Holden comments after the game

"We had a couple of outbursts from some veterans, even myself. As a leader on the team, I have to be calmer. I'm proud of my guys. I thought we fought. We had a couple of errors that cost us down the stretch. Being older, we take accountability. Time to focus on Delaware."

What happened after being up 12

"I feel like we had him going a little bit. He got in the lane. Basketball is a game of runs. He got his team going. We switched defenses. That slowed him down. In order to be successful, we have to keep him out of the paint and be better defensively."

On missing nine straight 3s

"Everybody has confidence in us shooting the ball. We can't hang our hat on the three-point line. We have to better defensively and rebound. THree-point shot if it goes in, it goes in. We can't hang our heads on that. We have to find a way to win without making three-pointers. Unfortunately, we didn't do that tonight."

On free throws

"We have to get better in practice. Be less physical. Stop complaining to the refs and most importantly keeping guys out of the lane. They were in the lane all night, right-handed drives."

On Flagrant foul

"(The refs) said I stepped on him. I felt like I was running. I didn't get too mad about it. I was running down the court and he said I was trying to step on his face."

On how he is physically

"I'm a little banged up. That's conference play. We have to be tougher to get over the hump. We're going to keep pushing forward. I have to break out some of my food. I have to chop up my hamburger. I get milk shakes. Sometimes it affects me in practice but I have to get over it."

On calling timeout

I slipped and fell. My instinct was to call timeout. That was my fault and I take full accountability for it. I apologized to my team when I got to the huddle."

One thing we are big about it is turning the next page. It's still early. We showed teams in this league that we're just as good as them. 

Coach Siddle on today's game

"Give a lot of credit to Towson. I have a lot of respect for Pat in how he runs the program. They are so physical and tough. They play the right way. I enjoy watching them, but don't enjoy playing them. We didn't play our best game. At the 11:50 mark, our guys did a really good job of toughening up and making winning plays. We had a good shot at the end of regulation. We made plays down the stretch. I'm proud of our guys. 

Keys to winning

"Toughness. I thought they were tougher than us. We were driving the basketball. We had 16 offensive rebounds. We started defending. We got out and ran. Toughness changed the game for us.

On halftime.

"We scout. That's one of the best things we do. We locked in the scouting report. Offensively, we wanted to come off pick and rolls and get two on the ball which they hedge out. We wanted to spray the ball out of it to try and get an advantage on the backside or the strongside. Our guys weren't buying into it. We showed them our pregame film again. On defense, we lost a couple of guys and for the most part it was a pretty clean half. We were tougher later in the second half."

On Phillips

"He's tough. He can make plays off the bounce. You don't have to run things for him. He's one of our better defenders. Maybe people key in on (Sims, Okauru) and that helps Phillips. He's one his way up and can be a special player for us."

"If you watched our games this year, we go old school. Can you guard me? We didn't think that some of their kids had the footspeed or defensive ability to keep up with him. He's to guard because he's so shifty and strong."

Skerry opening comments

Tough loss. Have to watch the tape. They are good and playing well. There are a lot of plays that we'd like to have back. Credit to Wilmington. They found a way."

On rebounding

"Very (disappointed). Disappointed in our rebounding. Our fouling. Telling isn't teaching. We didn't get our message across about keeping the ball out of the paint. DIfferent styles. Playing without the foul. Keeping the ball out of the paint. Not a lot of practice time. It's good that we can make shots and move the ball around. We can't lose sight of the fact that if we don't shoot it great, we have to be better in other areas. In the last three games, our defensive rebounding percentage is not where it needs to be in order to win. Block outs are bad. Easy targets are big guys, but it's the perimeter guys. All those perimeter guys."

"We're trying to get everyone back in the lineup. Some will need to take less shots and get less minutes. We're not there yet, executing that. They just took us one-and-one. They don't turn the ball over because they isolate you. I thought Juwan made Sims take tough shots. He lived at the foul line. Youg get up 10 and 8. We had a couple of live ball turnovers for runouts. Nick was late on Fornes for a 3. We went zone late to keep them out of the lane and keep from fouling. If I had my druthers, I would prefer not to do that. Overall, the defensive numbers are ok. But t wasn't good enough to where it should be."

"I would have liked to see us defend better in that stretch. We ran good offense and didn't score and maybe let that affect us on the other end. We have a chance to have a very good team. We don't have a lot of practice time. I told the guys in the locker room, we have a chance to be a good team. This was the Super Bowl today and we didn't get it done. We still got better, even if we were fortunate enough to win today. There are things we have to figure out pretty soon."

On Terry Nolan

"He played hard. Not his best game. How do you get to where you get to without practice time. We have to get him into a rhythm through playing in games. We're a tick off in certain areas. We want him to relax and play. He's capable of playing better. When you take 9 or 10 days off, it's not surprising."