• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls in OT to UNCW 81-77

29 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Luckily okara didn’t play much due to foul trouble and Simms was off. Pretty much all of their games have been close, ours have not and it showed on both sides.  9-5 with an 8 game winning streak is impressive 

Well-coached team with a lot of veterans and a very good point guard. No real inside presence and we gave up 16 offensive rebounds and didn't finish well enough inside. Probably should have pounded inside more than we did, considering we didn't make a lot of threes.

33 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Couldn’t believe the officiating crew this afternoon stopping to help UNCW any chance they could. Can’t blame it all on the refs but they certainly hurt us. Wish we could rebound like teams of the past. Would like to see some better in game adjustments by skerry to finish out these games. Towson gets into these games that could be life changing and can’t seem to get the big win we have all been craving. We got the potential we just gotta execute better. Year is far from over. Ball if life. The train keeps chugging along 

How did they help Uncw? There were a few 50-50 calls each way

The refs were horrible, that bad charge call was the start of many. We shot ourselves in the foot but the officiating gave UNCW the upper hand. They held the whistle on plenty of fouls and that flagrant call was BS. 

• Like 1

Just 13 points off the bench when Gray obviously had a big game (15pts) against Charleston. Went 2-for-7 today and some post ups as well as open 3s. Paar is also and obvious target and in 14 minutes, you need more than two rebounds and four points. Dropped at least two defensive rebounds and had a chance to dunk the ball or lay it in and missed the rim completely. As PS said, no real practice time. It's not like they are going to go full throttle on Sunday with the Hens on Monday night. They just have to continue teaching and hoping they respond to rebounding issues and defense. Though I don't there's much you can do against a guy like Phillips when he's just quicker than everybody else other than playing some junk defenses. Have a big come help out when he drives and risk him passing it up or just go zone with Gray up top.

I'd have to see that flagrant again. I thought the call on Nolan against Phillips was horrible. Where he had his hands up and the refs said he reached in. He didn't. I think it's tough to see them shoot 26 FTs and for us to shoot 14 at home. We're not the most graceful driving team, but it would be nice to get a few more calls. When Nolan and Timberlake are going at a breakneck speed without really changing hands or spinning, I don't know why they don't get the calls, but maybe the refs think they are out of control. But Nolan did get the call late in regulation and didn't make both shots. So I don't blame the refs when you are -2 on the boards and can't keep Philips out of the lane. Or miss 9 straight three-pointers and blow a 12-point lead. Missed three-pointers in regulation until Gray got that lucky bounce to go in.

It's a bit of a wake up call on how to hold on to leads. How to defend a quicker team. Which players to go with. What defenses to play? Can't just rely on your freshman 6-0 foot point guard who is not able to play, because he's your best on-ball defender. It's why they need Nolan to get his game back, because he can defend most guards in this league. 

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

The refs were horrible, that bad charge call was the start of many. We shot ourselves in the foot but the officiating gave UNCW the upper hand. They held the whistle on plenty of fouls and that flagrant call was BS. 

I didn’t see the flagrant. There was contact inside and a bloody Uncw player.  Saturday caa refs are just that. They didn’t seem that awful besides the copious amount of reviews. 

14 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I didn’t see the flagrant. There was contact inside and a bloody Uncw player.  Saturday caa refs are just that. They didn’t seem that awful besides the copious amount of reviews. 

Not to mention that bad charge call. The game flipped after that.