• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Story on CAA expansion

31 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Delaware plays football So the a10 wouldn’t interested. Caa with 14 teams does not interest me at all. Too many teams with too many different agendas. Some are hockey school some are hoops. Some are co-op programs. Some are public schools. Others private. Now religious affiliated. Some play little league forkball some don’t sponsor football.  Just too many things going different ways

Several A-10 basketball members (Fordham, Richmond, Rhode Island) play football. I’m not sure the fact that DE plays football would be an impediment to them joining the A-10, assuming that issue ever came up. 

I agree, to a point, with your argument about the somewhat disjointed nature of the CAA as presently configured (State schools, private schools, HBCU’s, some emphasizing certain sports …..) But what I think supersedes all that is geographic proximity, in terms of the 2 divisions, which translates into savings on travel costs 

20 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Several A-10 basketball members (Fordham, Richmond, Rhode Island) play football. I’m not sure the fact that DE plays football would be an impediment to them joining the A-10, assuming that issue ever came up. 

I agree, to a point, with your argument about the somewhat disjointed nature of the CAA as presently configured (State schools, private schools, HBCU’s, some emphasizing certain sports …..) But what I think supersedes all that is geographic proximity, in terms of the 2 divisions, which translates into savings on travel costs 

Let me restate that. Delaware prioritizes football. Those other schools do not. 
the travel is fine for the Olympic sports but hoops in a conference with the northern schools in the future is pretty unappetizing 

I never understood a couple of things related to all this conference realignment stuff

1. why keep rehashing old conferences instead of starting a new one? the power 5 on down.
    1. ie what does Vandy bring to the SEC? Rutgers and Maryland in the big 10, etc. Smaller is better...because you might be able to actually win once in a while. The power 5 is trying to be the NFL 2.0; who cares, that isn't going to be us. 
  2. Why does the CAA keep bailing out schools from the A10 and Big East with football? Play hardball, if they want to play football at this level join the conference in all sports
    1. I realized Villanova and Richmond will never do this but make that the Patriots league problem. Rhody would have to at least consider if the CAA 2.0 was attractive

Let's assume we need 10 schools for a conference. Find 10 like-minded schools and stick together. State schools, in Northeast that play FCS football:

Towson
Delaware
W&M
UNH
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
VMI
Youngstown (i'm sure they would rather come east than go to the Dakotas)
Rhody

Backups
The Citadel
Central Conn

Another option is to try and join the Missouri Valley Football Conference and break away as an all sports league with an east and west. Work out some deal for the Illinois schools to always play each other and that is a great looking conference to me. Again, sizeable state schools that play FCS football. This might even be a multi bid basketball league in some years. It's far better in MBB than the new CAA. 

East:
Towson
UD
W&M
Youngstown
Murray State
Indiana State
Illinois State
Eastern Illinois (from the OVC)

West:
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

I never understood a couple of things related to all this conference realignment stuff

1. why keep rehashing old conferences instead of starting a new one? the power 5 on down.
    1. ie what does Vandy bring to the SEC? Rutgers and Maryland in the big 10, etc. Smaller is better...because you might be able to actually win once in a while. The power 5 is trying to be the NFL 2.0; who cares, that isn't going to be us. 
  2. Why does the CAA keep bailing out schools from the A10 and Big East with football? Play hardball, if they want to play football at this level join the conference in all sports
    1. I realized Villanova and Richmond will never do this but make that the Patriots league problem. Rhody would have to at least consider if the CAA 2.0 was attractive

Let's assume we need 10 schools for a conference. Find 10 like-minded schools and stick together. State schools, in Northeast that play FCS football:

Towson
Delaware
W&M
UNH
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
VMI
Rhody

Backups
The Citadel
Central Conn

Another option is to try and join the Missouri Valley Football Conference and break away as an all sports league with an east and west. Work out some deal for the Illinois schools to always play each other and that is a great looking conference to me. Again, sizeable state schools that play FCS football. This might even be a multi bid basketball league in some years. It's far better in MBB than the new CAA. 

East:
Towson
UD
W&M
Youngstown
Murray State
Indiana State
Illinois State

West:
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

It’s all about finances at this level.Well, at any level. I do like the creativity. TV is always going to be the center of everything. I think what we need is creativity in the TV part. CBS Sports is fine if we can get 25-30 hoops games and a football game once a week. But get rid of Flo. Find a streaming service to carry everything else. I don’t care if it’s Paramount or Peacock. Probably impossible for them to cover all games with their crews. Put a Game of the Week or have a DHer on Thursday. Everything else would have to be on free schools network. Have a highlights show and an hour coaches show with a short taped segment with every coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Towson
Delaware
W&M
UNH
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
VMI
Rhody

Backups
The Citadel
Central Conn

East:
Towson
UD
W&M
Youngstown
Murray State
Indiana State
Illinois State

West:
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

I appreciate the creativity, but can’t see this happening. Would be cool tho. They have referred to the CAA as the SEC of FCS football so it would make sense to get all the big players in one conference 

11 hours ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

Towson
Delaware
W&M
UNH
Maine
Albany
Stony Brook
VMI
Rhody

Backups
The Citadel
Central Conn

East:
Towson
UD
W&M
Youngstown
Murray State
Indiana State
Illinois State

West:
North Dakota State
North Dakota
South Dakota State
South Dakota
Northern Iowa
Missouri State
Western Illinois
Southern Illinois

Money.  Plain and simple.  Maryland and Rutgers have the DC and NYC markets for big ten network. Vandy, while awful in football, brings academics and a nice thriving city to the mix. They would never want to leave the SEC as they make too much money and there isn’t a league they’d fit into otherwise.

the playing hardball thing is interesting but uri and Richmond could careless if they are playing fcs football in the caa or elsewhere. Basketball is king there and if forced out would cut football or just move to another conference. The caa hand isn’t as strong as it used to be in that negotiation 

the like minded conference of teams close geographically that play the same sports would be nice… just a lot of work 

The MVC idea is interesting but I don’t think any of those caa teams want to travel to Murray Kentucky and normal Illinois every other year for football and yearly for other sports.  Wm wants to be in a conference where they have alumni bases and pull students from(so they currently don’t like their proposed position in the new caa south) 

when I was in school the only Three caa teams that required a flight for us were NE (typically buses back), Uncw (occasionally buses back) and Georgia state. Busing saves so much money

On 8/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, mat1992 said:

It’s all about finances at this level.Well, at any level. I do like the creativity. TV is always going to be the center of everything. I think what we need is creativity in the TV part. CBS Sports is fine if we can get 25-30 hoops games and a football game once a week. But get rid of Flo. Find a streaming service to carry everything else. I don’t care if it’s Paramount or Peacock. Probably impossible for them to cover all games with their crews. Put a Game of the Week or have a DHer on Thursday. Everything else would have to be on free schools network. Have a highlights show and an hour coaches show with a short taped segment with every coach.

Yes! we need to figure the TV thing first and foremost.  Everything not on a normal (aka anything but Flo) streaming platform should be free on the school digital networks or CAA TV. I never minded the old TSN broadcast because they were free.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Blounge said:

I appreciate the creativity, but can’t see this happening. Would be cool tho. They have referred to the CAA as the SEC of FCS football so it would make sense to get all the big players in one conference 

I think the MVFC is not the SEC of FCS but I do remember and miss those days. Right now the CAA is maybe the big 10 but more likely the big 12. I also doubt it will happen but Texas and OU left the big 12 or the SEC; so a package of W&M, UD and Towson to the MVFC would be too different of an idea.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, TuTigers2012 said:

Money.  Plain and simple.  Maryland and Rutgers have the DC and NYC markets for big ten network. Vandy, while awful in football, brings academics and a nice thriving city to the mix. They would never want to leave the SEC as they make too much money and there isn’t a league they’d fit into otherwise.

the playing hardball thing is interesting but uri and Richmond could careless if they are playing fcs football in the caa or elsewhere. Basketball is king there and if forced out would cut football or just move to another conference. The caa hand isn’t as strong as it used to be in that negotiation 

the like minded conference of teams close geographically that play the same sports would be nice… just a lot of work 

The MVC idea is interesting but I don’t think any of those caa teams want to travel to Murray Kentucky and normal Illinois every other year for football and yearly for other sports.  Wm wants to be in a conference where they have alumni bases and pull students from(so they currently don’t like their proposed position in the new caa south) 

when I was in school the only Three caa teams that required a flight for us were NE (typically buses back), Uncw (occasionally buses back) and Georgia state. Busing saves so much money

Agreed it's all money for the Power 5 but what I don't agree with is UMD and Rutgers bringing the DC and NYC markets. Maybe 20 years ago when DMAs mattered for TV but now everything is streaming so it doesn't matter where you live. I'd also very much argue Maryland barely has the DC market, no one in VA cares. Rutgers even less for NYC. I bet Penn State gets higher viewership in DC than UMD. Let alone with the fact with Maryland and Rutgers will never be competitive which will drive down interest even more in urban areas with other, better entertainment.

Non of these are perfect ideas but if I'm Dr. E i'm on the phone constantly looking to work on something better than the current CAA. We look even better if we are a package with W&M and UD.