• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB upset by winless Northeastern 58-53

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=371246

https://towsontigers.com/news/2022/2/5/mens-basketball-towson-mens-basketball-comeback-attempt-comes-up-short-at-northeastern.aspx

Northeastern came into their home game with Towson on Saturday afternoon at 0-11 in the CAA. They left with their first win on an ugly 58-53 win which saw Towson drop to 8-3 in the CAA. 

It all came down to three-point shooting as the Tigers shot an anemic 7% from three-point range going 1-for-15. Nicolas Timberlake, who had 26 points against Hofstra, went 3-for-15 (1-9 3pt) in his hometown. But despite all that, the Tigers had several opportunities down the stretch to tie the game. Timberlake had an open three-pointer that missed, which would have tied the game with about 22 seconds left. Towson had to foul and Northeastern made all four foul shots down the stretch to close the game out by five. Cam Holden led the team with 21 points, but had just one rebound. The Tigers were outrebounded 26-19, but did shoot 44% from the field and 20 of 33 from inside the arc. Towson is back at home on Thursday to face W&M at 5pm (on CBS Sports Network). 

PS comments after the game on TSN:
"Give them credit. They were hungry and desperate. Like the way we fought back. Wasn't our best performance. I told our guys. Nobody is trying to go 1 for 15. In losses to Drexel and Pitt, we had terrible shooting nights and good looks. Tough night for Nic shooting the ball. Thought a lot were good looks. Sometimes coming back home (Boston) works and sometimes it doesn't. Juwan had a good look. A make or miss game sometimes. 1 for 15 is not good. We had a shot to tie it with a minute left. Didn't call a TO. Thought we got a good look."

On defense
Antonio and Radhir did a good job on Walters. Cam had a good game and did a good job on Telfort. We didn't get them to miss (enough) They are good shooters.
Nic was shooting 41% and goes 0-9 from 3. This one hurts. A lot of basketball to play.

"We had some gambles. They got some shaky 50-50 calls. They made some last-second shot clock. We didn't shoot the ball well enough. Really pleased with Cam Holden. Hurt his back the other night. Charles played well down the stretch which was encouraging. Off tomorrow. Travel back tomorrow. Need to get better at practice. Hopefully get Terry back this week. Some of that will be incumbent on everyone doing their jobs."

Before everyone comments, it's never a good thing to go 1 for 15 and lose to a winless NE team. They might win another game or two, or maybe this gets them going. But our point guard play just wasn't there today and Walters sort of gave his fits with his size. That's certainly where we miss the 6-4 Terry Nolan (hopefully he'll be back against W&M), but having Jason play more at the 2 will help. Of course, who know if Nolan returns and guys will have to change roles again so it could be bumpy. I just didn't like the ball movement and the offense early on. Looked like we were stuck in mud. Maybe that's a little bit of fatigue and some guys are playing 30+ minutes and more like 20+ guys.

Cam Holden was as good as you can ask for today with his mask issues and now has a back problem according to Pat on the postgame. I didn't think he looked right against Hofstra, but he gutted it out today. When he gets a minute off the floor, the offense just doesn't flow. Doherty also hurts us with 14 and 10 and Charles had 14 but just four boards. Timberlake led with 7 rebs.  

It was a rough one, but sure trap game. Letdown. Hofstra hangover. Whatever cliche' you want to use. I thought maybe that bothered us early, but once we sort of got into a flow, the bottom line is that they made nine threes and we made one. That's basically the entire game in a nutshell. Should Nic have taken nine threes while Gibson takes zero and just one shot the entire game? It's why we need Nolan back and get Gibson off the ball to get him some open looks. W&M is now on Thursday. Would be nice to have a good first half in that one.

Bump in the road which in past seasons could and would turn into a pothole and then inevitably a sink hole..  not this season guys.  
This group will bounce back this week and get Nolan back.  We’ve come too far to let this season slip away.  
Let’s focus on the positives today..  Cam is a stud..  played hurt per Pat! Charles will continue to score more the rest of the way.   AR plays great defense for us. 

Hicks gave us 14 minutes with no turnovers. 
Put that work in this week..  shots will fall again.  Nic needs to be more consistent and he knows it.  We’ve played such a tight rotation and once we get Nolan back it will ease the minutes strain on other guys. 

I’m confident.  Gonna beat the Tribe by 15 on Thursday and we will shoot 40% from 3. 

We all saw the trap game coming. That cold water shock to the system hopefully is a wake up call that if you don’t come correct you can get your ass beat by anyone in this league. Good this humbling moment came now and not in the tournament. Team now knows they can’t afford to lose like this again. Need to be sharp every night at this level. However, i agree a big win should occur on Thursday and i might just take off work, go to C&R Pub then go to the game after having myself a day!

• Like 1

In some ways, I really think this program has a dark cloud over it. Our best player is playing with a fractured jaw and bad back. The transfer point guard we were hoping would finally be the guy, who at one point averaged 11ppg, 4.6 assists and two steals per game has played limited minutes in conference play or not at all due to what is some sort of respiratory illness (apparently). Even Rizzuto (knee) doesn't look like the same player athletically I saw over the summer.

Glass half empty is we've got problems at point guard. The addition of Nolan was supposed to help move Gibson to the two. Last five games for #11: 20 combined points, 16 assists, just five turnovers. Good QB but need more points and dimes. Just three treys in the last five games. No attempts from the 3-point line today. Hicks was strong defensively today, but doesn't shoot it and we've seen why earlier in the season. I do think we missed him against UNCW and hopefully, when we go down to Trask in about a week and a half, we'll have Nolan back. We certainly need him.

But our guard play still isn't where it needs to be to get that trophy. It will help with Nolan getting dribble penetration and getting Rizzuto, Gibson and Timberlake open shots. But those guys still need to be more consistent overall, though we know there are physical limitations with some of those guys athletically. As for Nic, he was a 41% three-point shooter before today, but that's almost fool's gold for him. He's so damn athletic, would love to see him get more looks near the basket with those CT hand-offs near the baseline or just cuts to the rim. He doesn't have to score on 3s or mid-range shots. But we need him to score. Especially when Gibson is struggling to get his shot off and Rizzuto isn't making rare open shots. Today, just everything that could go wrong offensively in terms of the perimeter guys, went wrong. Even Gray had two wide open looks. He's also been struggling from long range lately, but his MO is not as a 3-point shooter. (he's 0-6 in his last four games)

Glass half-full? With all these issues we're still second in the CAA at 8-3. Must bounce back next weekend in a big way against W&M and Elon. Take care of business. Get off to better starts in the first half. 

DATE OPP RESULT MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
Thu 2/3 @HOFHOF 26 1-4 25.0 1-3 33.3 3-3 100.0 1 4 0 1 3 3 6
Sat 1/29 vsDREXDREX 30 1-6 16.7 0-3 0.0 0-0 0.0 3 4 0 1 3 1 2
Mon 1/24 @DELDEL 35 3-8 37.5 2-4 50.0 0-0 0.0 3 3 0 2 0 0 8
Sat 1/22 vsUNCWUNCW 26 1-4 25.0 0-3 0.0 0-0 0.0 3 4 0 1 4 0 2
Thu 1/20 vsCOFCCOFC 33 5-12 41.7 2-6 33.3 0-0 0.0 2 3 0 1 2 2 12
Mon 1/17 @W&MW&M 28 8-14 57.1 6-11 54.5 0-0 0.0 1 3 0 1 2 2 22
Tue 1/11 vsHOFHOF 39 9-15 60.0 8-12 66.7 0-0 0.0 5 4 0 3 3 0 26
Sun 1/9 vsNENE 34 3-5 60.0 2-4 50.0 2-2 100.0 2 1 0 2 1 1 10
Mon 1/3 @DREXDREX 32 1-9 11.1 0-4 0.0 1-2 50.0 7 2 0 1 1 1 3
Wed 12/22 @NAVYNAVY 21 2-11 18.2 1-5 20.0 2-2 100.0 2 2 0 1 2 4 7
Tue 12/14 vsUNCGUNCG 24 3-4 75.0 3-4 75.0 0-0 0.0 1 2 0 0 2 1 9
Sat 12/11 @COPPCOPP 26 8-13 61.5 8-13 61.5 0-0 0.0 3 3 0 0 1 0 24
Wed 12/8 @OSU21OSU 23 7-11 63.6 4-8 50.0 1-1 100.0 3 0 0 0 0 1 19
Mon 12/6 @KENTKENT 26 4-8 50.0 3-7 42.9 0-0 0.0 3 2 0 1 3 2 11
Thu 12/2 vsLIULIU 3 0-1 0.0 0-1 0.0 0-0 0.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
Fri 11/19 @PITTPITT 26 0-5 0.0 0-4 0.0 0-0 0.0 3 2 0 2 3 0 0
Tue 11/16 vsHAMPHAMP 25 2-8 25.0 1-5 20.0 8-8 100.0 1 3 0 3 3 2 13
Sat 11/13 vsMONMMONM 23 2-4 50.0 1-2 50.0 4-4 100.0 3 1 0 0 1 2 9
Tue 11/9 @ALBALB 19 5-9 55.6 3-6 50.0 1-3 33.3 4 2 0 2 1 0 14
TOTAL 26.3 3.4-7.9 43.0 2.4-5.5 42.9 1.2-1.3 88.0 2.6 2.5 0.0 1.2 1.8 1.2 10.4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Before everyone comments, it's never a good thing to go 1 for 15 and lose to a winless NE team. They might win another game or two, or maybe this gets them going. But our point guard play just wasn't there today and Walters sort of gave his fits with his size. That's certainly where we miss the 6-4 Terry Nolan (hopefully he'll be back against W&M), but having Jason play more at the 2 will help. Of course, who know if Nolan returns and guys will have to change roles again so it could be bumpy. I just didn't like the ball movement and the offense early on. Looked like we were stuck in mud. Maybe that's a little bit of fatigue and some guys are playing 30+ minutes and more like 20+ guys.

Cam Holden was as good as you can ask for today with his mask issues and now has a back problem according to Pat on the postgame. I didn't think he looked right against Hofstra, but he gutted it out today. When he gets a minute off the floor, the offense just doesn't flow. Doherty also hurts us with 14 and 10 and Charles had 14 but just four boards. Timberlake led with 7 rebs.  

It was a rough one, but sure trap game. Letdown. Hofstra hangover. Whatever cliche' you want to use. I thought maybe that bothered us early, but once we sort of got into a flow, the bottom line is that they made nine threes and we made one. That's basically the entire game in a nutshell. Should Nic have taken nine threes while Gibson takes zero and just one shot the entire game? It's why we need Nolan back and get Gibson off the ball to get him some open looks. W&M is now on Thursday. Would be nice to have a good first half in that one.

Use whatever excuse, But the team didn’t show up to play today. It’s unfortunate that a good opportunity was blown. too many upperclassmen on this team to lay a big egg like this one. Playing from behind like we continually do bites us in the ass sometimes. Need to do better on starts 

We can never capitalize after big wins.  This isn’t a 2022 team issue this has been a program issue for a long time. 

12 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Use whatever excuse, But the team didn’t show up to play today. It’s unfortunate that a good opportunity was blown. too many upperclassmen on this team to lay a big egg like this one. Playing from behind like we continually do bites us in the ass sometimes. Need to do better on starts 

We can never capitalize after big wins.  This isn’t a 2022 team issue this has been a program issue for a long time. 

Why can I not comment on something without some a-hole remark from you? It's my own opinion. We sucked today. I wasn't using the Cam injuries and other stuff for losing to 0-11 NE. I was just talking about the overall picture.