• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs Elon 86-50

I know this was a team effort and most everyone played great, but it felt like Charles Thompson singlehandedly imposed his will on this game in the first 6-7 minutes. He was scoring, blocking shots and getting defense rebounds he didn't event have good position to grab. I thought his physical dominance set the tone for the game early on and Elon was not ready to match his physicality.

I want to be 95% positive about this, my only slight bit of negativity is when he was going for some of those rebounds there were plays that bad officials might call ticky tack fouls on in the future. He is rapidly becoming the heartbeat of this team in conference play, and making sure he doesn't get in early foul trouble will be a key to our success. That being said, another positive from this game was that Timberlake and Holden sat most of the first half with foul trouble and we still rolled to victory.

The last two games Terry Nolan Jr. has shown us why we were all hoping he would get healthy. He does so much from a ball movement standpoint, but more than anything him being in the game at full strength allows everyone to play their roles. Nobody feels like they have do too much and everyone seems to let them game come to them. That is the way this team needs to play, because there will be off shooting nights. It is important that when that happens, those players figure out other ways to affect the game and we figure out plan B, C and probably sometimes D. As with any team, we are much better at that when this roster is at full strength. 

Finally, I was listening to the Three-Man Weave podcast (episode #249, https://www.three-man-weave.com/podcasts). At around the 36-minute mark they talk about tough mid-major teams that people would not want to face based on the ESPN analytics formula of low turnovers and high offensive rebounding rate that John Gasaway has used as part of his giant-killers segment. They mentioned Towson as one of five teams along with Chattanooga, Iona, Murray State and one other I can't remember.

I realize there is a long, long, long, long way to go before having any of those discussions, but still was fun to hear. Those guys have showered love on Skerry and the Tigers all year. I have heard us mentioned 3-4 times this year in a positive light on their podcast. I think I mentioned this before, but I am always impressed that they can actually talk about Towson in a fairly educated way when they are doing a broad podcast about college basketball. Anyways, just wanted to share in case anyone wanted to listen.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

I know this was a team effort and most everyone played great, but it felt like Charles Thompson singlehandedly imposed his will on this game in the first 6-7 minutes. He was scoring, blocking shots and getting defense rebounds he didn't event have good position to grab. I thought his physical dominance set the tone for the game early on and Elon was not ready to match his physicality.

I want to be 95% positive about this, my only slight bit of negativity is when he was going for some of those rebounds there were plays that bad officials might call ticky tack fouls on in the future. He is rapidly becoming the heartbeat of this team in conference play, and making sure he doesn't get in early foul trouble will be a key to our success. That being said, another positive from this game was that Timberlake and Holden sat most of the first half with foul trouble and we still rolled to victory.

The last two games Terry Nolan Jr. has shown us why we were all hoping he would get healthy. He does so much from a ball movement standpoint, but more than anything him being in the game at full strength allows everyone to play their roles. Nobody feels like they have do too much and everyone seems to let them game come to them. That is the way this team needs to play, because there will be off shooting nights. It is important that when that happens, those players figure out other ways to affect the game and we figure out plan B, C and probably sometimes D. As with any team, we are much better at that when this roster is at full strength. 

Finally, I was listening to the Three-Man Weave podcast (episode #249, https://www.three-man-weave.com/podcasts). At around the 36-minute mark they talk about tough mid-major teams that people would not want to face based on the ESPN analytics formula of low turnovers and high offensive rebounding rate that John Gasaway has used as part of his giant-killers segment. They mentioned Towson as one of five teams along with Chattanooga, Iona, Murray State and one other I can't remember.

I realize there is a long, long, long, long way to go before having any of those discussions, but still was fun to hear. Those guys have showered love on Skerry and the Tigers all year. I have heard us mentioned 3-4 times this year in a positive light on their podcast. I think I mentioned this before, but I am always impressed that they can actually talk about Towson in a fairly educated way when they are doing a broad podcast about college basketball. Anyways, just wanted to share in case anyone wanted to listen.   

NICE...TY (for the 3manweave pod)

• Like 1

Just now, El Tigre Oro said:

I miss the Beds Guy. Think he was a student from the 1970’s or 1980’s. Wonder what happened to him?

Starting to remember him now. 

11 hours ago, TTiger2024 said:

NICE...TY (for the 3manweave pod)

Am I trippin I dont hear a Towson mention on #249 when is it?