• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson hires Steve Eigenbrot as new AD

I was here in 1989 when Bill Hunter, a baseball lifer, resided in the most successful time for hoops, gymnastics, baseball and men's soccer. But we almost nearly lost football and didn't act early enough when everyone was leaving the ECC and we wound up in the Big South, a move that would cost us dearly for years.

Wayne Edwards followed him and did some nice things in terms of stadium renovation and moving football to the Patriot League and then Atlantic 10/CAA. Also presided over move to the CAA, though we know they didn't want us originally. We were a package deal with Hofstra, Delaware and Drexel. Some good moves, but also didn't add a weight room to the field house and well, hoops. Fired Terry Truax and hired Mike Jaskulski and then later Michael Hunt. That did not work out too well.

Enter Mike Hermann, who I liked but with Robert Caret as President, it seemed as though he had very little power. Caret made the move of firing Gordy Combs and hiring Rob Ambrose. And Pat Kennedy, who was supposed to make us the "Gonzaga of the East." or whatever he said that day. 

Then you have Mike Wadell, who hired Pat Skerry and fired Pat Kennedy. Changed a lot of infrastructure in terms of academics, weight training program, and pushed for more charitable work by the student-athletes. Cut men's soccer and baseball (came back later). Hired women's basketball coach Nikki Reid Geckeler (didn't work out). But football and hoops had their most success at the same time with him there. Helped build SECU Arena. Did try and make the team through all sorts of social media including the school's website.

Tim Leonard followed Waddell with less fanfare, because it some ways he was the anti-MW. Was supposed to raise money as a strong fundraiser from SMU. Had a very quiet 8+ years though did have some strong moves like hiring Don Metil as volleyball coach and Diane Richardson as women's hoops coach. Also, help build a new field hockey field, women's soccer field (really nice complex) and practice fields for football. Turning the Towson Center into a practice facility for hoops and volleyball was key.

After going to four previous press conferences for AD's, it's almost getting old, because the AD is only as important and powerful as his/her president allows them to be. If Dr. Schaetzel gives Dr. Eigenbrot the power to get these programs to their zenith in terms of funding, COA, etc, that's a start. Ultimately, he may have to hire the new football coach and several other coaches on staff. Bring some of his own people and as he's admitted, he's mainly been a fundraiser and will need to learn just about everything else.

So I could come here and fake it that I'm excited about our new AD. But I'm not. It's nothing personal. Dr. Steve may become a great AD and everything I heard is that he was extremely impressive or they wouldn't have hired him. He also wouldn't have come here if he was just going to be Schaetzel's puppet. Cautious optimism is all I can be after going through five ADs. But the one thing I did like that he told Spiro and everyone else is that he's not coming into a program that is (awful). There are certainly programs that need help (football), but gymnastics, volleyball, women's basketball, women's track, golf, and swimming just off the top of my head are in good to great shape. Men's hoops is set for their best season since 2012-13 and lacrosse is TBD. Not sure what's going on with women's lax, softball, field hockey, women's soccer, and baseball. Some of those non-revenue sports like baseball and field hockey need to be fully funded if they are serious about competing.

From a facilities perspective, Eigenbrot will have decisions to make about outdoor sports. Do you go with a practice bubble or facility so they can practice during the winter months and in bad weather? Do you add to the field house by pursuing certain amenities that are needed like a weight room, film rooms, etc. Enclose the stadium? Build suites behind the stadium ala Navy and ODU? As much as we crush basketball attendance, football has the most potential to draw if they win. That's a big if, but the potential is there to draw 10,000+with a quality and entertaining team and a decent schedule. Cost of Attendance is also a must to compete with Delaware (who has it) and Stony Brook (who is likely getting it). A new football coach can only do so much if he doesn't have COA. We've lost several key players over the years to COA to mid-major FBS schools, who had it. 

• Like 2