• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Towson hires Steve Eigenbrot as new AD

Just now, Tiger93 said:

I imagine he will keep a fair amount of people around in year one and figure it out from there. I am always suspicious of people who think they can come in, clean house and immediately understand what needs to be done. I know we are in a short-fix, win-now society, but I like my leaders to understand what they are doing before they make moves and there is no way to understand everything that goes on at Towson before you are in it.

I do look forward to having him digest what is going on, meet with new people, and start to figure out how he wants to do things. I am also interested in hearing the vision for our athletic program both now, and as he learns more about everything.

Are we close to hiring a new volleyball coach, or will he need to do that immediately?

Obviously, it will be extremely interesting to see what impact this has on the football program in the short-term and long-term. 

Did Don Metil leave? I didn't see that. I saw that the top assistant coach left for another job. 

I would expect any new AD to bring in his/her own people. That's just part of life, just as Leonard brought in his new people.

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Did Don Metil leave? I didn't see that. I saw that the top assistant coach left for another job. 

I would expect any new AD to bring in his/her own people. That's just part of life, just as Leonard brought in his new people.

I thought he had left, but I must have been confused. My mistake. Sorry about that.

He will definitely bring in his own people, but that process usually takes 12-18 months. You can do a little here and there, but hard to do it all immediately while still being respectful and open-minded to the environment around you. 

3 hours ago, RundaPower said:

Don Métil was at the MBB game on Saturday.  No, not leaving.

I usually check everything I post very carefully (maybe not the typos but the information). Sorry for posting something like this that is not true. No idea how this got in my head. Very proud of the volleyball program and everything they have done. Looking forward to the AD's introductory press conference tomorrow. 

wow I was expecting this search to take a year. seems like a good get on paper but we'll see.  MW was a marketer, TL an admin/fundraiser (not sure that held up). SE seems to follow the TL path, major gifts, but he did oversee ticketing so maybe he gets the concept that you have to actually promote the programs for people to come.

it's one thing to sell tickets and fundraise at an SEC school with no pro sports team in the state; it's another to have to create demand at a mid-major/FCS school

24 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

wow I was expecting this search to take a year. seems like a good get on paper but we'll see.  MW was a marketer, TL an admin/fundraiser (not sure that held up). SE seems to follow the TL path, major gifts, but he did oversee ticketing so maybe he gets the concept that you have to actually promote the programs for people to come.

it's one thing to sell tickets and fundraise at an SEC school with no pro sports team in the state; it's another to have to create demand at a mid-major/FCS school

This is a risk reward job-do well and it can be a launching pad to a bigger job. Do poorly or mediocre and your career trajectory can come to a screeching halt. I’m cautiously optimistic SE will fall in the former category.

Interesting point about the contrast between an SEC school in a state that doesn’t have a pro sports team vs our situation. I wonder to what extent, if any, the gamecocks play 2nd fiddle to Clemson, or if they’re on relatively equal footing. 

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

This is a risk reward job-do well and it can be a launching pad to a bigger job. Do poorly or mediocre and your career trajectory can come to a screeching halt. I’m cautiously optimistic SE will fall in the former category.

Interesting point about the contrast between an SEC school in a state that doesn’t have a pro sports team vs our situation. I wonder to what extent, if any, the gamecocks play 2nd fiddle to Clemson, or if they’re on relatively equal footing. 

We should hope that this is a pit stop for the new ad. Just like most coaches. That means they were successful in more than just in the eyes of some people on the message board and in the eyes of a president who really doesn’t care too much about Athletics. I am always befuddled by the “hope they stay sentiment”. At smaller schools that doesn’t happen for the better…

Until recently South Carolina was definitely more popular than Clemson. Clemson football has changed some of that but South Carolina is still a huge school in the middle of the state, 1.5 hours from Charlotte, Charleston and around 3 from Atlanta. They have some pretty good fans there but besides baseball (Atleast in sec metrics) haven’t been good in football and hoops (yes one fluke final four). 

• Like 1

I do understand all of the projections for this new fellow. We just need to maintain an air of patience and see what he truly brings to the table. Interviewing for a job is an art unto itself. Once you egt the job and have the authority to make department changing decisions....the interviewing answers often disappear. Hope for the best, but anything projections based on previous actions is total speculation. Everyone thought that the decency of Mike Hermann was the answer....then the aggressiveness of Mike Waddell was the answer...then the fund raising of Tim Leonard was the answer. Let's just wait and see.