• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB comes back to beat Charleston on the road 80-77

Look, there's no doubt there's favoritism by the home teams with the huge crowds. There were enormous crowds at Hofstra, Charleston and UNCW and there's no doubt, those teams got favorable calls whether it was due to the crowd or something else. I don't think the CAA dictates what goes on during the games or asks officials to call the games certain ways. NE and JMU just choked the games away with missed FTs and turnovers and maybe you can say the same thing about the Cougars. The top three teams in this league find ways to win, though I would say I've never seen a first place team as lucky as UNCW in my 20 years of carefully watching this league. It's why KenPom has them 4th in the nation in Luck. Will they go on the road and beat Drexel and Delaware after getting banged up tonight? With a possible suspension or two? My guess is they will split maybe worse, but we will still need to win out to get the top seed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Will there be any suspensions besides the punch thrown by a player on a team leaving the conference dragging their feet?   I won’t hold my breath

Joe D.  will call the President of Flo Sports or CBS Sports Network first. 

16 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Look, there's no doubt there's favoritism by the home teams with the huge crowds. There were enormous crowds at Hofstra, Charleston and UNCW and there's no doubt, those teams got favorable calls whether it was due to the crowd or something else. I don't think the CAA dictates what goes on during the games or asks officials to call the games certain ways. NE and JMU just choked the games away with missed FTs and turnovers and maybe you can say the same thing about the Cougars. The top three teams in this league find ways to win, though I would say I've never seen a first place team as lucky as UNCW in my 20 years of carefully watching this league. It's why KenPom has them 4th in the nation in Luck. Will they go on the road and beat Drexel and Delaware after getting banged up tonight? With a possible suspension or two? My guess is they will split maybe worse, but we will still need to win out to get the top seed.

Can we get fans out on Thursday?  Let people in for free.   If Monday is meaningful push the game back to 7. Get any students anywhere over to secu. Never thought I’d be rooting for the dragons but Thursday is HUGE

14 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Joe D.  will call the President of Flo Sports or CBS Sports Network first. 

Can Flo feed even determine who was involved? Looked like some players wearing black, maybe tigers? Kidding kind of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a Saturday that has 144 games going on across the country.  We have known for years that the CAA is not going to get the best of the best in stripes.  I was surprised that TV Ted showed up in Wilmington on Thursday night and I'm sorry he did because he was his normal terrible self.  How he gets late tourney and Final Four assignments boggles my mind.  Tim Clougherty was one of the officials in Wilmington and I think he gets by on nepotism as he's either the son or some other relative of longtime college ref, John Clougherty.  The other guy in Wilmington I used to officiate with here in Central Florida.  He was the junior member of the crew and it kinda looked at it, especially by the way Ted tried to take over that game.  As for today, that wasn't noted pathetic official Jamie Luckie out there.  It was Kyle Luckie and guessing by the spelling of the last name, it was probably a relative.  And judging by some of the reviews of our game (I had radio only), he lived up to his family name as did the rest of the crew.  Bottom line is that despite all of the adversity from the road trip to the hostile away arenas to the incompetent officiating, we found ways to win both games, each in impressive fashion (though each very different too).  We've got 1 1/2 home games coming up now and hopefully, JMU is going to be missing at least one guy, provided they call that a punch.  If they don't have any suspensions, ok fine, we're still miles better than they are and we'll just have to go out and prove it.

• Like 1

The general thought that officials give a crap about the history, standings, home crowd, etc is hilarious. We don’t care. We just want to get plays right. 

The other part is officials accountability.  Most guys at this level can’t afford to f games up and stay at the D1 level. 

I understand the frustration with the block charge stuff but the rule isn’t what you think it was 5, 10, 20 years ago. There is a difference between the responsibilities from a primary and secondary defender and what they can/cannot do. A primary defender doesn’t need to be set. They’ve already obtained legal guarding position. 

Lastly with the fight. I think the league plays a part in suspensions for players leaving the bench and punches thrown. The officials just have to deal with the in game stuff. 

I worked a game today with 64!!!! Fouls. Sometimes the players want to play and follow the freedom of movement point of emphasis and sometimes they don’t. It’s not the officials job to tell them how to play it’s their job to blow the whistle. If the players don’t adjust to the whistle that’s on them and we are advised to keep blowing. 

IMO there is too much criticism of the officials for every game we’ve played this season. It’s the same plays that are complained about and the officials are generally correct, is the responsibility of the players to understand the rules and the NCAA’s points of emphasis. Jay Bilas is out saying there aren’t enough fouls called and the whistles are at an all time low on the whole. 

rant over 

• Like 4

Griggey, would you say that Bilas is in the wrong for his critcism?  They showed a stat on Gameday that fouls per team per game are something like 16.3, which is the lowest in a long time.  Your game today will certainly mess with that average!!  The vast majority of the time, they get the calls right and games are well-officiated.  If anyone got a chance to watch Texas Tech-Texas today, that was an all-time street brawl but the crew did an excellent job managing it and there weren't really any unnecessary whistles.  I think the biggest issue that I have is how the defense gets way too much leeway when trying to draw a charge.  But at the same time, we're 25+ games into the season for everybody and if they haven't figured out how these get called every night, then they deserve to get whistled.  Jump stop at 8 feet and hit the floater.  Or better yet, bounce pass to your buddy driving the lane for an easy layup (if he hasn't already flared to the corner for no reason).

To be honest, I have no clue if he’s right or not. I’ve watched about 10 games this year, 4 have been Towson games. I worked between 30-40 college games and 30-40 HS games and have 3 small children. My tv is filled with Disney+. But to your charge point, I agree, players need to adjust to the way it’s been all year. I think guys are leaving their feet from farther away from the rim and defenders know they can get the PCF. 

8 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Can we get fans out on Thursday?  Let people in for free.   If Monday is meaningful push the game back to 7. Get any students anywhere over to secu. Never thought I’d be rooting for the dragons but Thursday is HUGE

Can Flo feed even determine who was involved? Looked like some players wearing black, maybe tigers? Kidding kind of. 

Agree,  the department must make WEDNESDAY the Super Bowl.  Free food, T shirts, hats etc.  Whatever it takes to get people in the arena. This should take priority  over everything else at Towsonover the next 4 days. 

• Like 1