• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Best regular season team in Towson history?

Not saying best team. That's only if they win, get the 14th seed and shock the world or at least lose by single digits. 

Now that I'm looking at the numbers of the 2012-13 team, the numbers are a lot closer than I thought. That team shot 35.8% from three-point. Defensive numbers were similar and rebounding numbers were slightly down. The CAA was the same, though probably slightly down now. (currently 12 in RPI). That team fell to W&M in the semifinals in Baltimore on 2014. 

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

https://static.towsontigers.com/custompages/MBB/13-14/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

https://towsontigers.com/documents/2022/2/5/Towson_Season_Stats_2_5_temporary_.pdf

Terry Nolan=Ralph Guthrie

Jerrelle Benimon=Cam Holden

Mike Burwell =Nick Timberlake?

Marcus Damas=Antonio Rizzuto

Charles Thompson=T.J. Parker-Rivera

Jason Gibson=Four McGlynn.

Walter Foster, John Davis and Guthrie weren't much of a bench. It was really all Guthrie since the other two played less than 10 minutes per game. Gray, Nolan and Paar with some Hicks is obviously better. Benimon was the best big man we ever had. Holden is a smaller version at 6-5, 210, A better ballhandler and passer. Probably better defender, but couldn't block shots like JB (2.0).

Since I'm older, I would probably lean toward the 2013-14 team, but they didn't play on the road like this team. They were 9-8 on the road and 15-1 at home. Burwell was an outstanding defender, but couldn't shoot like Timberlake or Rizzuto. We also played the more traditional lineup while this team plays basically four guards. 

Any thoughts? I don't want to compare ECC teams with this one. Just a completely different game now, a much weaker conference back then. But those were great teams that knew how to win the big one. Kurk Lee and Devin Boyd could play in any era.

Hard to compare them IMO. Such different skill sets that no one player really comps well to another. 

this 2021/22 team feels more complete but that could be recency bias. 

Here’s the crazy thing-if someone told you before the season that Timberlake was going to be our leading scorer, would you, in your wildest dreams, envisioned us finishing the regular season with 23 or 24 W’s? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Not saying best team. That's only if they win, get the 14th seed and shock the world or at least lose by single digits. 

Now that I'm looking at the numbers of the 2012-13 team, the numbers are a lot closer than I thought. That team shot 35.8% from three-point. Defensive numbers were similar and rebounding numbers were slightly down. The CAA was the same, though probably slightly down now. (currently 12 in RPI). That team fell to W&M in the semifinals in Baltimore on 2014. 

https://towsontigers.com/documents/2022/2/5/Towson_Season_Stats_2_5_temporary_.pdf

Walter Foster, John Davis and Guthrie weren't much of a bench. It was really all Guthrie since the other two played less than 10 minutes per game. Gray, Nolan and Paar with some Hicks is obviously better. Benimon was the best big man we ever had. Holden is a smaller version at 6-5, 210, A better ballhandler and passer. Probably better defender, but couldn't block shots like JB (2.0).

Since I'm older, I would probably lean toward the 2013-14 team, but they didn't play on the road like this team. They were 9-8 on the road and 15-1 at home. Burwell was an outstanding defender, but couldn't shoot like Timberlake or Rizzuto. We also played the more traditional lineup while this team plays basically four guards. 

Any thoughts? I don't want to compare ECC teams with this one. Just a completely different game now, a much weaker conference back then. But those were great teams that knew how to win the big one. Kurk Lee and Devin Boyd could play in any era.

This team is way better than that team.  That was Benimon and a bunch of role players.  Guthrie was a one trick pony - head down and drive to the rim.  Nolan is light years better.  Timberlake is better than Burwell, Damas/Rizzuto is a good comp, and Gibson is a better PG than McGlynn.  And the comparison between TJPR and Thompson are laughable.  Thompson has developed outstanding post moves, TJPR was largely a role player.  

This team would blow out the Benimon era teams.  

• Like 2

and that's the other point.  That team sort of won ugly like UNCW.  They were good, but were never dominant.  This team has blown out a ton of teams in dominating fashion.  Further, statistically this team is superior.  We are top tier in offensive efficiency, same with rebound margin, we are top 50 in the nation in 3 point shooting, we have more steals than our opponents, more assists, etc.  If we get into the dance, we have serious potential to do damage.  

Edited by tu_fan
incomplete
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

This team is way better than that team.  That was Benimon and a bunch of role players.  Guthrie was a one trick pony - head down and drive to the rim.  Nolan is light years better.  Timberlake is better than Burwell, Damas/Rizzuto is a good comp, and Gibson is a better PG than McGlynn.  And the comparison between TJPR and Thompson are laughable.  Thompson has developed outstanding post moves, TJPR was largely a role player.  

This team would blow out the Benimon era teams.  

Never said there was a comparison between Thompson and TJPR. There is none (until last 10-11 games), though TJ has played overseas for awhile. Burwell is a much better defender than Timberlake. McGlynn was slow, but a great shooter when open. Gibson has become a better point guard, but is a bit streaky as a shooter. Guthrie had one freakin' move, but I'd take that guy over just about anybody we've ever brought off the bench in the history of the program. Nolan is a really a starter, who is only Sixth Man due to health issues. He's something that 2013-14 team did not have and that's the closest thing to a true point guard.

Biggest difference in both teams is passing. It's certainly much more enjoyable to watch, because Four was truly a great shooter and would have benefitted from better passing. He would have done well with the way this team passes, but defensively, he would have struggled. That team averaged a bit less than 10 assists per game, while this team is over 13 assists. 

The only thing that this team doesn't have is Jerrelle Benimon, a player we could go to when the game is close. My choice for go-to-guy is Nolan if the game is on the line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tu_fan said:

and that's the other point.  That team sort of won ugly like UNCW.  They were good, but were never dominant.  This team has blown out a ton of teams in dominating fashion.  Further, statistically this team is superior.  We are top tier in offensive efficiency, same with rebound margin, we are top 50 in the nation in 3 point shooting, we have more steals than our opponents, more assists, etc.  If we get into the dance, we have serious potential to do damage.  

Agree here.  It’s close. Different styles different teams.  Caa top to bottom was better back then than now.  This team has more talented depth and better shooting. Top 3 of the old Team would be tough as hell on these top 3. 

Of course, we have to win the damn tournament, but we are currently a 64 KenPom Rating and a 70 Net Rating, but that was before Saturday's full results.

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Nolan much better w finesse and outside shooting than Guthrie; though Guthrie could drive to the hoop better, he was often outta control. Benimon over Holden ✓ Timberlake over Burwell, as Nick's D isn't bad and he's definitely better on O. Rizzuto can be streaky on O, & Damas (if I'm remembering correctly) was a good defender; very close, but I'd give edge to Rizzuto for his superior A game. CT vs TJ, both excell in RBs, but CT's offense + sm misc things definitely tops TJ. Gibby beats Four on O; I forget what McGlynn's D was like, but give edge to Gibson as he dishes better. Agree w you Matt, current bench both better & deeper✓...

Though 1990's Lee & Boyd + Valentine would cause 2022's guards serious trouble, 2022's forwards would cause even more trouble for the other 2 "Special K's" & esp Mike M. - MHO

Edited by Moleman1
Typo