• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
sr16

Pain...

4 minutes ago, ReverendRemulak said:

Are we expecting one more year for Cam? I've been under the impression that was gone after this year for some reason. If he comes back, there's a chance we bring back 4/5 starters which would make expectations pretty high heading into next year. 

He’s coming back. He came here because he wanted to play power forward and bigger schools wanted him to play the four. Nothing is 100%, but if he returns healthy and improves his shot, he’ll be CAA POY.

• Like 1

Went to the tournament last night and it actually stings a little more this morning that we are not playing in the title game than it even did last night. Two notions that I find silly reading this board last night is the amount of blame Skerry gets and notion that the everything but the conference tournament is meaningless. 

We won 25 games (all D-1), were consistently ranked in the top 75 in the NET rankings for a good part of the year, tied for first in the conference and are going in the NIT. If the loss yesterday flushes that all down the toilet I don't even know why you follow this team during the regular-season. 

As for Skerry, he did a great job for most of the season. He brought in three impact transfers, incorporated in them into the team, actually had some shooters and still kept some of the good parts of Skerry ball to make this team tough. Here is where I will be critical of him as a coach. In watching tonight's game and the 2014 game that we lost to William & Mary in-person, our players seemed tight and like the they just wanted it so bad that when it went badly they were not sure how to react. It felt that way tonight, and I do agree that mentality trickles from the coach down to the players.

Even saying that, I am in complete agreement with a lot of the defenders of Skerry that the shots were not falling. We were 4-23 from three-point land tonight and at least 2/3rds of those were good solid looks that just did not fall. I don't know if you want to call that choking or bad luck, but Timberlake had at least 3 or 4 shots go halfway down and come out (which was very reminiscent of the Northeastern loss in the regular-season). I would start calling people chokers if they were taking awful shots and making dumb decisions. However, that did not start until the last 4 or 5 minutes when we really panicked because we could sense the loss was coming. 

I give Charles Thompson a ton of credit for fighting through the ankle injury, but he was missing just that extra amount of explosiveness to grab a big rebound (11 in two games) or block a shot (he had one). The lack of that extra lift also made it tough for him to get up high enough on that mini-baby hook that his been so solid this year. Also, I have been the number one person (or at least right there with everyone) driving the Terry Nolan Jr. train, but he was just awful tonight. We can't win against a good team when Nolan Jr. goes 0-6 with 2 points, 1 assist and 4 turnovers. His bad play with Thompson's injury came at the worst time, and I know both are probably crushed that they couldn't give their best when it was truly needed. 

There are two things I hope we can accomplish right now. One is get a meaningful experience out of the NIT and hopefully beat a good team and use it as a springboard to next season. That has always been the point of that tournament, and the regular-season champ auto-bid is one of my favorite college basketball rules. The other is find out who is coming back and continue to use the transfer portal effectively to fill in some needs. As has been mentioned, the additions of Monmouth and Stony Brook will make this conference more competitive in hoops, and we rally need to raise our level. 

Going into this year, I was bashing Skerry as well. I think he took a good, honest look in the mirror last year and became a better coach this year. We finally got some good shooters, it felt like we were able to press more effectively, and he made adjustments when things didn't go right more this year than previous ones. I think the next step is taking a look at his defensive principles and seeing if there are some wrinkles he can throw in to make it more difficult to scout from conference teams that see us three times in a year. I am sure he has already done this, but trying to look at some successful programs and possibly even working with sports psychologists to figure out if there is something missing from the mental preparation that is causing his higher seeded teams to come out so tight (seemingly from an untrained eye like mine) in these big games. 

This was the greatest D-1 regular-season in the history of our program. Rather than criticizing what went wrong with the coaching, we should be asking how do we take what was fun for everyone this year and build off it in the productive manner. We hit the checkboxes for a successful season in two big ways, 15-3 tying for first in the CAA and top 75 NET ranking for most of the year. How do we replicate those accomplishments and figure out a way to overcome our poor tournament performances. People can evolve and get better. Skerry did that in many ways this year, and now he has one more giant step to evolve and figure out why his teams come up short in the tournament. However, with what he accomplished we should have some confidence that he will turn over every rock to try to this offseason. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

You can’t with these 90s Guys.

Our time at Towson overlapped num nuts. But you know everything so I’m sure you’ll tell me otherwise 

• Haha 1

Still hurts this morning but I’m more excited for the NIT than I probably should be..  build our brand and lets hope it helps us landing impact transfers for 2022-23’

San Diego let their coach go.   I’m not sure TJ Berger is a fit but as more coaches are given pink slips it opens opportunities for us to snatch a player or two.  I’m not a fan of signing a freshman and then pushing him out the door early if he doesn’t pan out but that is the norm now and I get it. 

Still think we gotta do a better job of landing a Euro or Aussie to play for us.  I know we tried in the past and last kid didn’t work out but I’d still be banging the phones to land one. 

You watch Saint Mary’s play and it is a slow grind but Bowen & Dumas (Aussies) 6’7-6’8 200+ are the type of player we need to add.  Easier said then done of course.  Get CT some more help inside. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Went to the tournament last night and it actually stings a little more this morning that we are not playing in the title game than it even did last night. Two notions that I find silly reading this board last night is the amount of blame Skerry gets and notion that the everything but the conference tournament is meaningless. 

We won 25 games (all D-1), were consistently ranked in the top 75 in the NET rankings for a good part of the year, tied for first in the conference and are going in the NIT. If the loss yesterday flushes that all down the toilet I don't even know why you follow this team during the regular-season. 

As for Skerry, he did a great job for most of the season. He brought in three impact transfers, incorporated in them into the team, actually had some shooters and still kept some of the good parts of Skerry ball to make this team tough. Here is where I will be critical of him as a coach. In watching tonight's game and the 2014 game that we lost to William & Mary in-person, our players seemed tight and like the they just wanted it so bad that when it went badly they were not sure how to react. It felt that way tonight, and I do agree that mentality trickles from the coach down to the players.

Even saying that, I am in complete agreement with a lot of the defenders of Skerry that the shots were not falling. We were 4-23 from three-point land tonight and at least 2/3rds of those were good solid looks that just did not fall. I don't know if you want to call that choking or bad luck, but Timberlake had at least 3 or 4 shots go halfway down and come out (which was very reminiscent of the Northeastern loss in the regular-season). I would start calling people chokers if they were taking awful shots and making dumb decisions. However, that did not start until the last 4 or 5 minutes when we really panicked because we could sense the loss was coming. 

I give Charles Thompson a ton of credit for fighting through the ankle injury, but he was missing just that extra amount of explosiveness to grab a big rebound (11 in two games) or block a shot (he had one). The lack of that extra lift also made it tough for him to get up high enough on that mini-baby hook that his been so solid this year. Also, I have been the number one person (or at least right there with everyone) driving the Terry Nolan Jr. train, but he was just awful tonight. We can't win against a good team when Nolan Jr. goes 0-6 with 2 points, 1 assist and 4 turnovers. His bad play with Thompson's injury came at the worst time, and I know both are probably crushed that they couldn't give their best when it was truly needed. 

There are two things I hope we can accomplish right now. One is get a meaningful experience out of the NIT and hopefully beat a good team and use it as a springboard to next season. That has always been the point of that tournament, and the regular-season champ auto-bid is one of my favorite college basketball rules. The other is find out who is coming back and continue to use the transfer portal effectively to fill in some needs. As has been mentioned, the additions of Monmouth and Stony Brook will make this conference more competitive in hoops, and we rally need to raise our level. 

Going into this year, I was bashing Skerry as well. I think he took a good, honest look in the mirror last year and became a better coach this year. We finally got some good shooters, it felt like we were able to press more effectively, and he made adjustments when things didn't go right more this year than previous ones. I think the next step is taking a look at his defensive principles and seeing if there are some wrinkles he can throw in to make it more difficult to scout from conference teams that see us three times in a year. I am sure he has already done this, but trying to look at some successful programs and possibly even working with sports psychologists to figure out if there is something missing from the mental preparation that is causing his higher seeded teams to come out so tight (seemingly from an untrained eye like mine) in these big games. 

This was the greatest D-1 regular-season in the history of our program. Rather than criticizing what went wrong with the coaching, we should be asking how do we take what was fun for everyone this year and build off it in the productive manner. We hit the checkboxes for a successful season in two big ways, 15-3 tying for first in the CAA and top 75 NET ranking for most of the year. How do we replicate those accomplishments and figure out a way to overcome our poor tournament performances. People can evolve and get better. Skerry did that in many ways this year, and now he has one more giant step to evolve and figure out why his teams come up short in the tournament. However, with what he accomplished we should have some confidence that he will turn over every rock to try to this offseason. 

This is a fantastic post. Nothing to add save for  go Tigers! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, griggey20 said:

Our time at Towson overlapped num nuts. But you know everything so I’m sure you’ll tell me otherwise 

😂😂 thanks dick. 

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

All agreed, a ton to be happy with during the regular season. The tournament was a disappointing showing in both games as a whole and definitely think Skerry's nerves played into the teams start on Sunday which excuses or not was a big reason why lost last night. Pat definitely wears his emotions on his sleeve and if we had started out like we ended the regular season vs Northeastern, would have liked our chances much more last night. So while ultimately last night wasn't entirely on Pat (pathetic effort by everyone except 32, 55 was also not himself) he does get the overall blame for Sunday and not setting the tone for the tournament and coming out of that 100% fresh. 2014 margin of victory was larger but had a slugfest with #7 JMU, 2017 had a good effort vs better Charleston team in semis. Next years team has to play to win in quarters rather than play to just survive. Also shame the tribe couldn't hold on Saturday.

Should definitely take the NIT seriously as one of few times get good national exposure on the ESPN family of networks. Good for recruiting and especially transfer portal if can entice an good contributor to come in that wants a great shot at getting to the dance next year with this core. Assuming the final 4 is back at garden this year that's also something to play for.  Know that its a major long and would require running the table in the CAA (which very well could have done this year), but hopefully get a resume worthy OOC schedule next year. Nothing to lose building around the upper half of A-10s, Iona, MAC, and a good holiday tournament. It's obviously not explicitly stated, but committee would consider a run in NIT this year if were to finish say 28-3 next year.

• Like 1

UNCW played from behind all year and look where they are. Few teams can do it. Most teams can't. Maybe it's something to do with Jaylen Sims and Mike Okauru. Veterans that never get down when they are down, because they have the confidence. Maybe it's Siddle.

I feel bad for the players. They played hard...competed well and never gave up. I also think with a new AD there will be some additional pressure on the coaching staff next year, especially given the quality players that are returning. I hope they play a little more free wheeling and less pressure filled once the NIT starts. It is like they say on Wall Street....the first million is the hardest to make......here...the first championship is the hardest to attain

• Like 1