• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Down but not out

I kind of thought this game was lost yesterday against Northeastern. When Charles Thompson injured his ankle and the team looked lost without him. He tried to give it all his all tonight, but the problem with this team is that the offense runs through their bigs. When both are injured or playing with injuries (Cam with the bad wrist), it suffers. 

Delaware also won this game yesterday. They beat the crap out of a pretty good Drexel team with Cam Wynter that knows how to win. Maybe it was extra motivation for us to cut the nets down with them on the floor or off of it, but I'm sure that didn't matter. Their players made plays. They took the ball to the basket with little resistance. When we slowed the drives down in the second half and Davis and Nelon got in foul trouble, Anderson, Allen and Painter stepped up. 

Disappointed as ever. I've been to around 20 conference tournaments since we last went to a tournament final in 1992 and won it over Hofstra at UMBC. That's 30-freakin' years ago. It's not even puzzling anymore. I feel like we're jinxed in some way. That's not to take anything away from Delaware and how they played.

As for Pat, he gets some shit that is not deserved, but ultimately not making it to the Finals is on him. As someone mentioned, he recruits the players. I thought he coached his ass off this season. He got the right combination of shooters and post players. But when the post players were banged up, the guards couldn't step up. Shooters shoot and when their legs are tired, they miss. None of our guys showed they were capable of doing anything else but shoot from long range all year. Timberlake had a great season for him. But he can't put the ball on the deck and make shots. He lowers his shoulder and often runs people over. Gibson is undersized and Rizzuto probably gutted the season out with a torn cartilage in his knee. I assume he was more athletic before and a better defender. But probably didn't have the quickness to get by other guards.

Watching Sims and Phillips for UNCW. Are they great shooters? No. But Sims can create his own shot and that's what Phillips does best. We don't have that. And I forget Okauru, who is a Florida transfer. That helps. Phillips? We wanted him. Didn't get him. Does he get us to the next level? Maybe.

Inglesby said tonight that Towson is tough and you have to try and take Cam Holden's right hand away and he still can score. But that's telling. He's a bit like John Davis in the post, who always faked right and went left.

So while I'm not looking forward to the NIT, it's fine. Hopefully, we can get a home game. If not, if Thompson is close to 100%, maybe upset a P5/6 team on the road that would rather by in Chemistry Class than at an NIT game.

• Like 1

He did coach and adjust/adapt better then before. We have all gave him credit for that. He deserves the criticism as well. 58 points in caa tournament games are unacceptable.   He is a choker. There’s no way around that.  These are older guys and they are what they are. and for most of the season the pieces fit. But these are his guys for better or for worse.

I thought we had the best team coming into the tournament and then watched us live against Northeastern. We all wanted more shooters. We got them. But we also could have used a Brian Fobbs. 

I don't know if we'll ever win a conference title or get to a final in my lifetime, but I do like the nucleus of people returning and the two incoming freshmen. I like the approach of getting experienced mid-majors instead of projects from high major schools who rarely played. Keep that same formula by getting another experienced point guard, a wing who can create, and an athletic and skilled big. As far as I know, there are no ships available with Gray and Holland (ugh) gone. Of course, Nolan has to make a decision or can just move on to support his family. Rizzuto has a year left, but it was a rough one for him with a knee injury that I assume he'll take care of in the offseason. He's already played four full seasons. Does he want to play one more? 

Then you have the players on the bench that never really played: Gill, Coleman, Jones and Biekeu. Jones hasn't played at all in two seasons. The writing is on the wall there.

Need more athleticism and a point guard that can push the ball more.

I liked the fact that we used the press this season for the first time in certain situations. It basically no effect on Delaware tonight. That's where you need length and athleticism. No knock on our freshmen coming in. But I think it's very tough to enter a rotation where you have experience and likely transfers who will play right away. I do like Christian May as a piece who is a team player who can shoot and has some athleticism. Dylan Williamson is a 6-0 scoring guard. Not sure if he can play the point right away, but he can shoot it. 

The future is still bright guys. I don't know about the CAA finals and getting there or winning it. I do think we're on the right track to breaking down that wall.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I thought we had the best team coming into the tournament and then watched us live against Northeastern. We all wanted more shooters. We got them. But we also could have used a Brian Fobbs. 

I don't know if we'll ever win a conference title or get to a final in my lifetime, but I do like the nucleus of people returning and the two incoming freshmen. I like the approach of getting experienced mid-majors instead of projects from high major schools who rarely played. Keep that same formula by getting another experienced point guard, a wing who can create, and an athletic and skilled big. As far as I know, there are no ships available with Gray and Holland (ugh) gone. Of course, Nolan has to make a decision or can just move on to support his family. Rizzuto has a year left, but it was a rough one for him with a knee injury that I assume he'll take care of in the offseason. He's already played four full seasons. Does he want to play one more? 

Then you have the players on the bench that never really played: Gill, Coleman, Jones and Biekeu. Jones hasn't played at all in two seasons. The writing is on the wall there.

Need more athleticism and a point guard that can push the ball more.

I liked the fact that we used the press this season for the first time in certain situations. It basically no effect on Delaware tonight. That's where you need length and athleticism. No knock on our freshmen coming in. But I think it's very tough to enter a rotation where you have experience and likely transfers who will play right away. I do like Christian May as a piece who is a team player who can shoot and has some athleticism. Dylan Williamson is a 6-0 scoring guard. Not sure if he can play the point right away, but he can shoot it. 

The future is still bright guys. I don't know about the CAA finals and getting there or winning it. I do think we're on the right track to breaking down that wall.

If pat is still the coach.. no.  14 teams next year?  Counting down until pats gone.  Impact transfers ??? We are what 25%?  That’s being generous. Do we hit the jackpot again next year and lose before the finals?!  Stay tuned. There are lots of old guys out there who would love that!!

Ultimately it's on the coach and his staff to find the right formula. I don't want to hear about the regular season being meaningless. You don't want to be where Northeastern and W&M are in the first round. And with more teams in the league, you certainly don't want to be in the first round. 

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Ultimately it's on the coach and his staff to find the right formula. I don't want to hear about the regular season being meaningless. You don't want to be where Northeastern and W&M are in the first round. And with more teams in the league, you certainly don't want to be in the first round. 

Been in the top part more than the bottom with nothing to show.  So that’s on the coach as you say.  Gets more difficult next Year and beyond

I’m a lot more optimistic because of the transfer portal going into next season.   
I think more guys are interested in coming to Towson after a 25 win season and the fact that we have a reputation, good and sometimes bad, for shooting the 3.  
Don’t underestimate how important having the core of Charles, Nic & Jason has been and these guys are only gonna get better in 2022-23’.  Of course we need to add a slasher, another big to help CT and more shooters etc etc. 

We’ve never played in the NIT so I’m looking forward to that first game and how we respond.  Getting our trio some more meaningful games can only help us for next season.  

Ultimately we gotta get lucky again like we did with Cam and then hope Hicks takes the next step and our two incoming freshman are even better than advertised.

None of us are going anywhere for next season.   We all love Towson.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I hate to bash individual players, but a few of their seniors were inconsistent all season long (Gray, Rizzuto, Nolan). I can’t say I’ll miss any of those 3 guys. They didn’t show up tonight. It’s the seniors that often determine your destiny during this time of year. Delaware's seniors came up big.

Cam Holden is the only senior that I think will be dearly missed for next seasons roster. There are tons of holes to fill, But I think that they have the core pieces (in C.Thompson, Timberlake and Gibson) to be competitive again if Skerry can go out and find another couple of strong transfers and a couple strong freshman. It would be a devastating blow if any of those three core pieces decide to transfer to another team.

I know I am being a little harsh on these 3 seniors that I mentioned, but I am also doing it in hopes that they can prove me wrong in the NIT coming up soon. If you guys see this post, I hope it lights a fire in you. March Madness is not over, lets go make a run in the NIT. To ANYONE saying that the NIT is "meaningless" is so wrong. It means a lot to Towson, who is a program that has potential and needs every opportunity it can get to grow. These games on the ESPN stage and they matter.

This NIT appearance feels crucial to this teams future. Do I expect them to win it all? No. But a win or two would feel awesome and might help with the morale for the future of the team and the morale of the offseason recruiting process.

I think next season is the hot seat season for skerry. Hope he can live up to the pressure and get over the hump.
Edited by lightspeednate
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lightspeednate said:
I hate to bash individual players, but a few of their seniors were inconsistent all season long (Gray, Rizzuto, Nolan). I can’t say I’ll miss any of those 3 guys. They didn’t show up tonight. It’s the seniors that often determine your destiny during this time of year. Delaware's seniors came up big.

Cam Holden is the only senior that I think will be dearly missed for next seasons roster. There are tons of holes to fill, But I think that they have the core pieces (in C.Thompson, Timberlake and Gibson) to be competitive again if Skerry can go out and find another couple of strong transfers and a couple strong freshman. It would be a devastating blow if any of those three core pieces decide to transfer to another team.

I know I am being a little harsh on these 3 seniors that I mentioned, but I am also doing it in hopes that they can prove me wrong in the NIT coming up soon. If you guys see this post, I hope it lights a fire in you. March Madness is not over, lets go make a run in the NIT. To ANYONE saying that the NIT is "meaningless" is so wrong. It means a lot to Towson, who is a program that has potential and needs every opportunity it can get to grow. These games on the ESPN stage and they matter.

This NIT appearance feels crucial to this teams future. Do I expect them to win it all? No. But a win or two would feel awesome and might help with the morale for the future of the team and the morale of the offseason recruiting process.

I think next season is the hot seat season for skerry. Hope he can live up to the pressure and get over the hump.

Agree about Nolan and Rizzuto coming up empty when they needed seniors to step up. Remember,last season didn’t count towards your eligibility so everyone but Gray can return. He was a true professional who accepted his role.

I think Gray had his best season here by far. Numbers weren’t great but the added size (about 10 pounds) allowed him to be more physical.

I know some people hate excuses, but Rizzuto playing hurt all season and then Nolan’s respiratory condition probably took their games down a notch.

14 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I don't want to hear about the regular season being meaningless. 

There are some, you included, that have said that the regular season is meaningless and OOC. That’s been reiterated when myself and others have complained about those losses.  

But it isn’t meaningless neither is the regular season championship. But it also is because you still only need to win 3. (4-5 next year) to make it to the ncaat