• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Down but not out

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

There are some, you included, that have said that the regular season is meaningless and OOC. That’s been reiterated when myself and others have complained about those losses.  

But it isn’t meaningless neither is the regular season championship. But it also is because you still only need to win 3. (4-5 next year) to make it to the ncaat

When did I say that? I said the regular season championship doesn’t mean much to me personally. It’s all about positioning yourself for the conference tournament. I’m just not excited about the NIT. I never said the OOC was meaningless.

If we win a game in the NIT, then yes its not meaningless. IF we lose in round 1. its meaningless. How it goes. 

3 minutes ago, sr16 said:

If we win a game in the NIT, then yes its not meaningless. IF we lose in round 1. its meaningless. How it goes. 

I want a game with BYU in Provo with their usual 10,000+ in attendance.  Then Skerry can parlay it into Towson playing them again when they jump to the Big 12. 

31 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

I’m happy some people care about the NIT. I’m sure I’ll have a different feeling next week. 

For a program which is 8 years removed from the CIT while I was in school.... what choice do I have? I have to take it lmao. NIT is second tier. Atleast in recent memory we decline CBI/CIT invitations. Its a step. Albeit a disappointing one. 

Vegas 16 results[edit]

The Tigers have appeared in one Vegas 16. Their record is 0–1.

Year Round Opponent Result
2016 Quarterfinals Oakland L 72–90

CIT results[edit]

The Tigers have appeared in one CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT). Their record is 2–1.

Year Round Opponent Result/Score
2014 First Round
Second Round
Quarterfinals
USC Upstate
East Tennessee State
Murray State
W 63–60
W 83–77
L 73–85

I hope everyone is into the NIT. That was my ultimate goal of this website. To get people involved. It’s just my own personal feeling that I’m sure will go away next week. Clock is ticking when you reach a certain age.

4 hours ago, mat1992 said:

When did I say that? I said the regular season championship doesn’t mean much to me personally. It’s all about positioning yourself for the conference tournament. I’m just not excited about the NIT. I never said the OOC was meaningless.

Hmmm

46 minutes ago, TheGoldCrotchPiece said:

i'm happy with the NIT. we still get a banner to put in the arena from this millennium

I’m excited for NIT. Disappointed though 

I’m only now at a point where I can bring myself to posting, after last night. I don’t even care if anyone reads this, as this post is most of all cathartic for me. I can’t say I’m surprised we lost. In fact, I predicted as much in conversations with friends, after CT’s injury. And I believe I posted earlier in the season my estimation that DE was the best team in the conference. 

Some obvious positives came out of this season-1st place in the regular season, the NIT autobid, 3 all conference caliber players, but still, we fell short of the ultimate goal. Without getting too maudlin, I have to reconcile myself that it’s entirely possible we may not go dancing again in my lifetime. Players come & go, but the one constant is Skerry. His tournament record is abysmal, but OTOH, he wasn’t the one out there last night missing shots. Whether I want him to stay or go of course is irrelevant, as it feels like, for all intent purposes, he has a lifetime contract. 

The odds of ever winning the conference tournament decrease going forward, with all the new teams entering the conference. So, in terms of next year, Skerry has got to hit it big in the transfer portal. We will desperately need a PG (I’m assuming Nolan isn’t coming back). We will also desperately need a front court player to compliment CT, assuming he comes back. It seems like he bleeds black and gold, but, in the transfer portal era, can any of us say definitively that guys like him & Timberlake won’t want to test there worth on the open market? Same for Holden for that matter. 

I’m also assuming Rizzuto is gone. It’s too bad he had to play through an injury, but I’m not devastated that he’s moving on. I figure Gibson will be back. I don’t think he should start though. He’s a liability on D, due to lacking quickness, and can’t create his own shot. But, if you can get him some open looks from 3, he can have some utility off the bench. I do like the 2 incoming freshman (May & Williamson) but I’m not sure a freshman has ever averaged more than 7ppg in the entire Skerry era. 

Then of course there are Gill, Coleman, Bieku & Jones. You gotta figure 2 of these guys (maybe more) are the next Dottin/Mims, who will depart to make way for whoever the new transfers will be.

Well, anyway, I’ll watch the NIT game and then monitor who we pickup in the portal. Of course, every other team in the conference will be trolling the portal too, and I suspect someone other than us will get the next Estrada or Meeks.  I dunno; I’ve been saying wait’ll next year for 30 years now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m only now at a point where I can bring myself to posting, after last night. I don’t even care if anyone reads this, as this post is most of all cathartic for me. I can’t say I’m surprised we lost. In fact, I predicted as much in conversations with friends, after CT’s injury. And I believe I posted earlier in the season my estimation that DE was the best team in the conference. 

Some obvious positives came out of this season-1st place in the regular season, the NIT autobid, 3 all conference caliber players, but still, we fell short of the ultimate goal. Without getting too maudlin, I have to reconcile myself that it’s entirely possible we may not go dancing again in my lifetime. Players come & go, but the one constant is Skerry. His tournament record is abysmal, but OTOH, he wasn’t the one out there last night missing shots. Whether I want him to stay or go of course is irrelevant, as it feels like, for all intent purposes, he has a lifetime contract. 

The odds of ever winning the conference tournament decrease going forward, with all the new teams entering the conference. So, in terms of next year, Skerry has got to hit it big in the transfer portal. We will desperately need a PG (I’m assuming Nolan isn’t coming back). We will also desperately need a front court player to compliment CT, assuming he comes back. It seems like he bleeds black and gold, but, in the transfer portal era, can any of us say definitively that guys like him & Timberlake won’t want to test there worth on the open market? Same for Holden for that matter. 

I’m also assuming Rizzuto is gone. It’s too bad he had to play through an injury, but I’m not devastated that he’s moving on. I figure Gibson will be back. I don’t think he should start though. He’s a liability on D, due to lacking quickness, and can’t create his own shot. But, if you can get him some open looks from 3, he can have some utility off the bench. I do like the 2 incoming freshman (May & Williamson) but I’m not sure a freshman has ever averaged more than 7ppg in the entire Skerry era. 

Then of course there are Gill, Coleman, Bieku & Jones. You gotta figure 2 of these guys (maybe more) are the next Dottin/Mims, who will depart to make way for whoever the new transfers will be.

Well, anyway, I’ll watch the NIT game and then monitor who we pickup in the portal. Of course, every other team in the conference will be trolling the portal too, and I suspect someone other than us will get the next Estrada or Meeks.  I dunno; I’ve been saying wait’ll next year for 30 years now. 

Not too optimistic I’ll see one and I’m 32. 
Some good caa players can return and others for another final year (Wynter) around the league. Add 5 new teams. 1-9 goes to 1-14 odds..

3-10 CAAT record. 3-5 as a top 3 seed ooof. He does have more wins than speedy and fisher though..😂