• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Charles Thompson

I don't think I've ever seen a player improve that much in the middle season in my 32 years of covering the program. You might see a player improve, because he goes from 5 minutes to 20 minutes a game, so of course, production gets better. But CT went from around 8ppg and 6rpg to 10.7ppg and 1.6 blocks with 6.7 rebounds. He also had 43 assists, which is not bad for a post player. In conference play, he averaged a staggering 13.7 points,  8.2 rebounds and shot 66% from the field. In my biased opinion, he was the best or one of the best players in the conference before the ankle sprain.

I saw him yesterday about 45 minutes before the game. I wasn't sure he was going to play. He didn't look great. No explosion. At the layup drill, he just had no lift. My assumption was he was going to start and then give it all he could. Defensively, he just couldn't move. That's why Davis got so many open looks from the mid-range. He couldn't get over there to contest his mid-range shots. Offensively, he missed chippies he would normally hammer home or drop it in. But he gave what he had. That's all you can ask for as an alum and fan of the program. He's the type of kid you can build around for the next two seasons (assuming he stays for an extra year). What a player. What heart.

But we had issues with the backup five. Paar and Biekeu were a big step down. Delaware could start Davis and bring Painter off the bench. At 6-7, 230ish, Davis is close to Thompson's size and length with more of a jumper and we know how skilled Painter is. That was a huge difference in this game aside from Anderson's marskmanship from the outside. Another big and another Gray-type of player who has the versatility to play all three frontcourt positions is a must. Christian May (6-6, 200) is going to be a player, but it's tough asking a freshman to do all that stuff right away.

As much as the early part of the season was the Cam show, the back half was all about CT. I love the kid. I genuinely believe that we are playing today if he was 100% yesterday. We're lucky that we get at least another year out of him. 

Charles battled yesterday and that’s all you can hope for.  Playing injured because he wanted to be out there and win.  A hobbled Charles was Better than anyone else we could put out there

• Like 2

If Charles had been 100%, he scores 20 and the game comes down to the wire, at the very least. Agree that his improvement has been impressive to witness -- unprecedented, really.

He’s the son of a boxer.   Was no doubt in my mind he would play hurt. 
Can’t wait to see him continue to improve and then play in the G League 😉

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

I think it all changes if CT was healthy.  Do we win?  I think so.  Just the difference between Delaware not having any worry in the paint on both offense and defense to making them account for it all night.  We get more looks outside if this happens.  They definitely do not score inside like they did.  Just pains me to lose without everyone.  CT was healthy all season then to have him nick his ankle the first round of the tournament is just such a letdown with this type of season.