• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2022-23 Transfer Portal

Cam just retweeted this, feels very tongue in check. Guess that interview he did earlier about how much he loved his teammates and this program was a lot of fluff. Really a shame that he views brining Sylla in as a diss against him and not a plus for the program. He also deleted a tweet that said he won’t ever forgot how they did him dirty and I imagine that is also in reference to this 

Edited by Tiger12

What took him so long? If he didn’t want to be here, why not leave before May 1? Now back to the portal. If we didn’t get Sylla, this would hurt worse. We will miss his passing and unselfish play. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tiger12 said:

Cam just retweeted this, feels very tongue in check. Guess that interview he did earlier about how much he loved his teammates and this program was a lot of fluff. Really a shame that he views brining Sylla in as a diss against him and not a plus for the program. He also deleted a tweet that said he won’t ever forgot how they did him dirty and I imagine that is also in reference to this 

Yeah noticed this, but there had to be something else. Some kids are never happy. 

So he felt disrespected enough that he would sit out a year at another program. Let’s face it. Most programs would want him at the three spot at his size, but his game fits the four spot.

Bizarre timing and all. 
Maybe one of those deals where no need to make sense of this.  The show will and must go on.  
Being 49 now I’ve accepted that I can’t always understand today’s athlete.  My son is a QB with some D3 offers hoping to get higher this coming season but he has been to some combines with the legit D1 recruits and I’ll just say that winning is not always priority number 1 and the information some kids get from parents and friends is extremely poor.  
Good luck to Cam and his future.  Obviously winning a CAA title and going to the NCAA tournament was not his top priority.  Heck of a tough player he was this past season for us. 
He has served and he is counted. 
Let’s continue to support this staff and current players who have stayed and want to get us back to the Big Dance. 

28 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Bizarre timing and all. 
Maybe one of those deals where no need to make sense of this.  The show will and must go on.  
Being 49 now I’ve accepted that I can’t always understand today’s athlete.  My son is a QB with some D3 offers hoping to get higher this coming season but he has been to some combines with the legit D1 recruits and I’ll just say that winning is not always priority number 1 and the information some kids get from parents and friends is extremely poor.  
Good luck to Cam and his future.  Obviously winning a CAA title and going to the NCAA tournament was not his top priority.  Heck of a tough player he was this past season for us. 
He has served and he is counted. 
Let’s continue to support this staff and current players who have stayed and want to get us back to the Big Dance. 

It's part of today's game. But it's a big loss. You're asking a lot for a D2 transfer, no matter how good he is. Now, that puts more heat to get a transfer wing who hopefully has some passing, defense, and scoring ability. Or you can go with Conway, Gibby and Timberlake and that's a strong shooting starting trio, but the D is shaky.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

It's part of today's game. But it's a big loss. You're asking a lot for a D2 transfer, no matter how good he is. Now, that puts more heat to get a transfer wing who hopefully has some passing, defense, and scoring ability. Or you can go with Conway, Gibby and Timberlake and that's a strong shooting starting trio, but the D is shaky.

Now that May 1st has passed any transfer portal player would have to sit a whole season correct?  Have all the JC players been gobbled up?  
Feel like our staff gonna have to really get creative now.  

14 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Now that May 1st has passed any transfer portal player would have to sit a whole season correct?  Have all the JC players been gobbled up?  
Feel like our staff gonna have to really get creative now.  

No. That's about players who are leaving school now like Cam. Unless they are grad transfers they have to sit out though he might be able to get a waiver. There are plenty of decent players left in the portal including some guys who left right before the May 1 deadline.

• Like 1

Nothing bad to say about Cam. Loved the one year he gave us. Wish he had been healthy all year, because man did he carry us at times last season. Sylla will be interesting. I was trying to look at precedents of top notch D-2 players (led alone national players of the year) transferring and what they did. The one example I could think of an extremely positive way was Ryan Hawkins last year from Creighton. If we can get 2/3 of what they got out of him we will be in good shape. I watched some of the videos Mat1992 posted, but hard to get a feel for his game other than it seemed like he could impose his physical will at that level to score. 

Also, for those in the know do we think Skerry knowing that he has been both burned and helped by the Transfer Portal might have had an inkling that Cam might transfer? Or have coaches become so used to the portal that they are starting to overrecruit just in case a player wakes up one day and decides to leave. 

I don't like the transfer portal in terms of it taking away good cohesive teams that grow together, which is really one of the best parts about college basketball. However, if a coach can leave any time they want I don't see why a player can't have at least some of those options (within reason, because more than once seems excessive and more than twice is bad pattern). I will say the conversation around the transfer portal makes the offseason conversation around college hoops infinitely more interesting, and I do appreciate that after the sad sack of a season we had in 2020-21 that we had the ability to grab some good players immediately and turn our fortunes around. 

Mat1992, I know you have talked about this plenty, but how many spots do we have left to fill on this roster for 2022-23?

• Like 2