• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2022-23 Transfer Portal

6 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Nothing bad to say about Cam. Loved the one year he gave us. Wish he had been healthy all year, because man did he carry us at times last season. Sylla will be interesting. I was trying to look at precedents of top notch D-2 players (led alone national players of the year) transferring and what they did. The one example I could think of an extremely positive way was Ryan Hawkins last year from Creighton. If we can get 2/3 of what they got out of him we will be in good shape. I watched some of the videos Mat1992 posted, but hard to get a feel for his game other than it seemed like he could impose his physical will at that level to score. 

Also, for those in the know do we think Skerry knowing that he has been both burned and helped by the Transfer Portal might have had an inkling that Cam might transfer? Or have coaches become so used to the portal that they are starting to overrecruit just in case a player wakes up one day and decides to leave. 

I don't like the transfer portal in terms of it taking away good cohesive teams that grow together, which is really one of the best parts about college basketball. However, if a coach can leave any time they want I don't see why a player can't have at least some of those options (within reason, because more than once seems excessive and more than twice is bad pattern). I will say the conversation around the transfer portal makes the offseason conversation around college hoops infinitely more interesting, and I do appreciate that after the sad sack of a season we had in 2020-21 that we had the ability to grab some good players immediately and turn our fortunes around. 

Mat1992, I know you have talked about this plenty, but how many spots do we have left to fill on this roster for 2022-23?

Just Mat by the way. We have two spots available. As for Sylla, look at the Miami exhibition game. I've seen him put the ball on the floor and drive like Cam does. There are certainly similarities in their game other than the fact that Sylla spent almost no time on the perimeter. Doesn't mean he can't shoot from the outside. He just didn't have to against D2 squads and didn't really do that much against Miami. He posted them up though with CT, he'll have to play some outside, which again, I think he's capable of doing. 

I saw that tweet by Cam over the weekend where he said he was done dirty and he'd never forget it.  Whatever 'it' was had better be something a lot more significant than bringing in someone of Sylla's skill.  Because if it's about Sylla and Cam was worried about being 'the man', then I feel like that says a lot about his personality and a lot of it is in a negative light.  It's hard to figure out what a lot of these athletes are thinking nowadays but this one is incredibly mindboggling.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I saw that tweet by Cam over the weekend where he said he was done dirty and he'd never forget it.  Whatever 'it' was had better be something a lot more significant than bringing in someone of Sylla's skill.  Because if it's about Sylla and Cam was worried about being 'the man', then I feel like that says a lot about his personality and a lot of it is in a negative light.  It's hard to figure out what a lot of these athletes are thinking nowadays but this one is incredibly mindboggling.

I'm sure other things came into play here, but basketball-wise, I don't know if it was about being the "man" or more about him not wanting to play the 3, which is something he'll have to do if he wants to make money at the next level. Nowadays, mid-majors are playing a lot of three and four-guard lineups. I was hoping that this would work out, but wasn't sure about those two playing together. Now you can find someone who can be more of a true wing.

13 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

Got to believe sylla signing was the icing on the cake for him to leave.
the writing seemed to be on the wall for a few weeks now.  He was mad about credits and his degree the other week. He’s been to 4 schools in 4 years. This would be his 5th year. That’s plenty of time to get the credits you need in place. Juco. UT Martin and Towson all aren’t Stanford or Harvard here. Skerrys staff deals a lot with transfers so I’d be included to trust that they along with the academic staff would be on top of things. 

the ut Martin kid going back there from Iu also may have had something to do with it. 

Seemed like he was different mindset than others we’ve had come here in the past. unselfish, team first, willing to make an extra pass etc. he would have thrived here again this season. The d2 wasn’t going to steal too many minutes from him . 

Life goes on and no one is irreplaceable. Plenty of fish still left in the transfer portal ocean. Honestly, this may wind up being addition by subtraction. Is he a good player, yep. Is he irreplaceable-nope. 

I agree with all of the above. The table was set for Holden to have a great year. He really was a unicorn for Towson in the versatility he provided, and there were definitely some games where he willed us to wins. I can't fault these kids anymore for their decisions even when I don't like what they are doing. It is what it is. 

Mat, I didn't watch the Miami video because when I looked at the boxscore it looked like a game where no one even tried to play any defense. I did watch a decent amount of the video you posted from the regional final where Sylla's team got knocked out. Looked like a physical player who could get to his spot and score. I agree it is hard to judge shooting when it looked like he could get anywhere he wanted within 10-15 feet of the basket and score on most occasions. Feels like he can come in and be pretty good, but definitely would have enjoyed having him play with Cam. 

Seeing guys transfer in and out makes me appreciate Gibson, Thompson and Timberlake even more. The biggest joy I got out of last season was seeing the amazing evolution of Thompson's game, and I hope he can elevate his game even more. Such an easy player to root for. I also got a lot of joy out of the 4-5 or games when Timberlake was on fire. However, I know we need a lot more with those guys if we have aspirations to be successful. 

Any thoughts/rumors about what we might do with the last two spots? Seems like it has been pretty quiet since Sylla's addition. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I agree with all of the above. The table was set for Holden to have a great year. He really was a unicorn for Towson in the versatility he provided, and there were definitely some games where he willed us to wins. I can't fault these kids anymore for their decisions even when I don't like what they are doing. It is what it is. 

Mat, I didn't watch the Miami video because when I looked at the boxscore it looked like a game where no one even tried to play any defense. I did watch a decent amount of the video you posted from the regional final where Sylla's team got knocked out. Looked like a physical player who could get to his spot and score. I agree it is hard to judge shooting when it looked like he could get anywhere he wanted within 10-15 feet of the basket and score on most occasions. Feels like he can come in and be pretty good, but definitely would have enjoyed having him play with Cam. 

Seeing guys transfer in and out makes me appreciate Gibson, Thompson and Timberlake even more. The biggest joy I got out of last season was seeing the amazing evolution of Thompson's game, and I hope he can elevate his game even more. Such an easy player to root for. I also got a lot of joy out of the 4-5 or games when Timberlake was on fire. However, I know we need a lot more with those guys if we have aspirations to be successful. 

Any thoughts/rumors about what we might do with the last two spots? Seems like it has been pretty quiet since Sylla's addition. 

I’m a sucker for the 4 or 5 year guys.  Mike, Eddie, Dennis, alex, McNeil and the new crew.  Not the best players but there’s something to be said for loyalty and sticking it out for 4 years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Well, last week, we were looking at the final ship and being patient. I'm sure the course has changed, not that they won't be patient. But I think an experienced player is a must for one of these ships, which means a grad transfer or one with two years left. Of course, needs to be a good fit. Versatility would help though everyone is versatile nowadays save for a low-post big men and smallish point guards who are pass-first.

13 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Well, last week, we were looking at the final ship and being patient. I'm sure the course has changed, not that they won't be patient. But I think an experienced player is a must for one of these ships, which means a grad transfer or one with two years left. Of course, needs to be a good fit. Versatility would help though everyone is versatile nowadays save for a low-post big men and smallish point guards who are pass-first.

Let’s be honest there really are no such things as multiple years left. They may have it but coaches and fans need to look at the players as being on one year contracts. Sucks but that’s the reality of college Athletics