• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2022-23 Transfer Portal

5 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Transfers up to 436

G Michael Gray (6-2, 202), George Mason. Not offered by Towson, but had some pretty big names offer him including Cincinnati and Va. Tech. Rarely played.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-gray

Just looking for a pure scorer who can play some point and dominate at a mid-major?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4395880/sam-sessoms

https://verbalcommits.com/players/sam-sessoms

I’m leery of guys who rarely played, big offers notwithstanding (see, Victor U & Mims). Would prefer guys who have an established track record, say who averaged 10ppg or so at their old school and are looking for more minutes, or a change of scenery or whatever. Holden & Nolan are the templates. Glad to see Wynter from Drexel gone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m leery of guys who rarely played, big offers notwithstanding (see, Victor U & Mims). Would prefer guys who have an established track record, say who averaged 10ppg or so at their old school and are looking for more minutes, or a change of scenery or whatever. Holden & Nolan are the templates. Glad to see Wynter from Drexel gone. 

Agree, it's very early. As I said, there will be 100 Marcus Dockery-types. He's just interesting considering where he played in HS and he's definitely a mid-major guy. Turge didn't recruit very well at the end. There will be plenty of point guards out there and we have to hit a home run or at least a triple with this pick up. Not a double.

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This. So many times in the past we’ve had guys who didn’t play much and turned out to be busts. It’s tough not playing for two years or more and expecting them to be good. 
can they do well two year in a row in the portal?? Hopefully. It’s about fit and maybe after this year (players and wins) transfers see Towson as a decent destination 

7 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Agree, it's very early. As I said, there will be 100 Marcus Dockery-types. He's just interesting considering where he played in HS and he's definitely a mid-major guy. Turge didn't recruit very well at the end. There will be plenty of point guards out there and we have to hit a home run or at least a triple with this pick up. Not a double.

It’s early, in the sense that hundreds more players will be entering the portal, but our staff needs to be vetting the hundreds already who’ve jumped in the pool. No time like the present 

5 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

This. So many times in the past we’ve had guys who didn’t play much and turned out to be busts. It’s tough not playing for two years or more and expecting them to be good. 
can they do well two year in a row in the portal?? Hopefully. It’s about fit and maybe after this year (players and wins) transfers see Towson as a decent destination 

I’d like to think the staff can build on the momentum from this season and hold Holden out (and Nolan to a lesser degree) as what can happen if you transfer here. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m going to assume Nolan & Rizzuto are gone, and that Jones & Gill are likely candidates to move on. That’s 4 open ships. Realistically, we’re not going to hit 4 home runs, but we can’t can’t afford more than 1 strike out 

Edited by TSU88

23 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

While I generally agree with you, keep in mind Bennimon rarely played at Georgetown and that worked out pretty well for us.  

3 minutes ago, tu_fan said:

While I generally agree with you, keep in mind Bennimon rarely played at Georgetown and that worked out pretty well for us.  

Fair point. Maybe the thing to do (assuming we’re going to be bringing in 4 portal guys) is to bring in a high ceiling guy who didn’t play much at his old school, along with a bunch of guys with proven track records. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Fair point. Maybe the thing to do (assuming we’re going to be bringing in 4 portal guys) is to bring in a high ceiling guy who didn’t play much at his old school, along with a bunch of guys with proven track records. 

I’d like to think, maybe it’s me being an optimist,  but our more open style of play and our success this season will make us a more attractive landing spot

1 hour ago, griggey20 said:

I’d like to think, maybe it’s me being an optimist,  but our more open style of play and our success this season will make us a more attractive landing spot

Yea. It also will be a big factor of who is back with us.  Nolan cam and Rizzuto did their homework on our team and staff which is just as important as the staff doing the same with them.

if a kid is smart enough to say: ok I do this well but I’m not the most athletic and this team has a hole there. Maybe I should try and go there. Hopefully we see this more with the 1585742 transfers out there instead of in the past guys disgruntled with 8 mpg 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yea. It also will be a big factor of who is back with us.  Nolan cam and Rizzuto did their homework on our team and staff which is just as important as the staff doing the same with them.

if a kid is smart enough to say: ok I do this well but I’m not the most athletic and this team has a hole there. Maybe I should try and go there. Hopefully we see this more with the 1585742 transfers out there instead of in the past guys disgruntled with 8 mpg 

Agreed, whoever comes in also has to fit and the current players on the team need to embrace him to the point where they'd be willing to take less shots/dribbles to win a CAA title.