• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Wake Forest 74-64 in the NIT

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=404988

Charles Thompson scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Wake Forest handled the Tigers 74-64 from Winston-Salem on Wednesday night. Towson found themselves down by 21 at the half, 43-22, but thanks to pressure defense and a zone, they were able to cut the lead to 73-64 with 45 seconds left. Dallas Walton led the Deacs with 17 points, seven rebounds and two blocks. ACC Player of the Year Alondes Williams was held to six points, six rebounds and five assists. Towson forced 18 turnovers and committed just 12, but when it came down to making shots when it mattered-they failed.

Nicolas Timberlake had 12 points with eight boards, but struggled with Wake's length going 3-of-13 from the field. Jason Gibson had a strong game with 12 points on 4-of-4 from 3-point, but didn't take enough shots. Antonio Rizzuto and Terry Nolan combined to go 1-of-12 from three-point range. Towson shot just 8-of-28 (29%) from beyond the arc.

Here is Pat Skerry after the game on TT.com.

"Credit to WF. They jumped us early. We were on our heels a bit. They got hosed by not being in the NCAA Trny. Could have won two games.

Proud of our guys. Fought back. Second half showed you what you are.

I told them, I was emotional, I read something last week. "Don't be sad that it's over. Smile that it happened."

School record for wins in D1 level. Best team we ever had here (he's emotional).

"Some guys will go on to play basketball, marry, jobs, become husbands. Best group of guys I've been around. Staff has done a great job. Appreciate what they did for me and our program.

The support is at an all-time high, with Steve (New AD)) on board. Dan (Crowley) has done a great job."

1st half was ugly, but we were the better team in the 2nd half (perhaps WF got a bit lackadaisical). Unfortunately, it’s a 40-minute game. The pressure D was quite good and, while this is loser’s talk, if we knock down 3-4 of the multiple open 3’s we miss it’s a different game. Once again, impressed with CT, who showed he can hold his own against better competition.

On to the transfer portal and getting ready for next season 

• Like 1

Wake Forest looked like Duke against us in the first half. Adjustments were better in the second half with the zone and trapping out of that. We took Williams out of the game, but Monsanto killed us from the outside.

So, we were never winning the game, but if Paar makes that tough transition layup from Nolan and cuts it to nine. It becomes interesting. Ultimately, when you are playing eight guys (no Hicks). Instead, Monsanto makes a 3 on the other end and they had the momentum again. 

Of course, you hate to pick on certain players, but open 3s need to be made in these types of games. I'll talk about strengths and weaknesses in another post, but to get to that next level, we need guys that can make shots, not just make threes. The threes won't always be there, but if you drive, esp. against a bigger team, you need to use a floter or find a way to finish with contact. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. It's over. Time to find guys who can finish. But appreciate what these guys accomplished.

But when you look at what made us arguably the greatest regular-season team in history, it was making shots off of ball movement. It was being down and hustling our asses off as we did in the second half. Cam Holden and Antonio Rizzuto showed a ton of grit on that one ugly play in the second half where AR was diving on the floor.

I didn't really know how to feel about this game going in. As much as I hated playing Virginia due to their pace, I would have taken them over Wake, who plays a much faster pace. Either way, this team dd more than we expected by far in the regular season. In some ways, they overachieved, but underachieved in the postseason.

9 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

1st half was ugly, but we were the better team in the 2nd half (perhaps WF got a bit lackadaisical). Unfortunately, it’s a 40-minute game. The pressure D was quite good and, while this is loser’s talk, if we knock down 3-4 of the multiple open 3’s we miss it’s a different game. Once again, impressed with CT, who showed he can hold his own against better competition.

On to the transfer portal and getting ready for next season 

Charles gutted out another great game. Some of the older players didn’t shoot or play well…

need to get better in big games. Offense isn’t good when it counts and the bright lights are on. We still foul way to much. 

25 wins is a very nice season and the last three games leave a lot to desired. We need some pieces for next year.  Other teams in our conference are going to improve and there will be all lot more of them. 

point guard who can drive and create 

4 man (who can help space the floor)

Shooter 

back up big

2 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Charles gutted out another great game. Some of the older players didn’t shoot or play well…

need to get better in big games. Offense isn’t good when it counts and the bright lights are on. We still foul way to much. 

25 wins is a very nice season and the last three games leave a lot to desired. We need some pieces for next year.  Other teams in our conference are going to improve and there will be all lot more of them. 

point guard who can drive and create 

4 man (who can help space the floor)

Shooter 

back up big

No doubt we’ve got to get better. As you point out, other teams in the conference aren’t going be standing still this off-season. And yes, Skerry’s shopping list better include a quality PG, a scorer who can get his own shot and a front court guy to help CT. The portal is growing everyday. The staff needs to due its due diligence, which will have the collateral effect of ushering a few existing guys out (cough, cough, Jones, Gill, and maybe 1 or 2 others).