• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

2023 Offers/Commits

We’re going to have a lot of roster spots to fill after this upcoming season: Holden, Sylla, Russell, and then there’s Timberlake, Gibson & Thompson. As for the latter 3, I admit I’m not certain if they could play beyond this season, as I don’t know if they get an extra year (assuming they want it) due to COVID. This doesn’t even count the usual 1-2 guys who leave due to lack of playing time. 

With this number of openings, I would assume Skerry would want 2-3 freshmen and save the remainder for portal guys 

41 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We’re going to have a lot of roster spots to fill after this upcoming season: Holden, Sylla, Russell, and then there’s Timberlake, Gibson & Thompson. As for the latter 3, I admit I’m not certain if they could play beyond this season, as I don’t know if they get an extra year (assuming they want it) due to COVID. This doesn’t even count the usual 1-2 guys who leave due to lack of playing time. 

With this number of openings, I would assume Skerry would want 2-3 freshmen and save the remainder for portal guys 

I may be way off but I would think “1” freshman if we are lucky.  With the portal now it will be lots of transfers with anywhere from 1 to 3 seasons left for eligibility.  I’d love to see us develop guys and I know we have two freshman coming in this season but I think it is safe to say our days of 3 or more incoming freshman is over.  

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I may be way off but I would think “1” freshman if we are lucky.  With the portal now it will be lots of transfers with anywhere from 1 to 3 seasons left for eligibility.  I’d love to see us develop guys and I know we have two freshman coming in this season but I think it is safe to say our days of 3 or more incoming freshman is over.  

It’ll be interesting to see just how many freshmen are onboarded, with the portal being what it is. Assuming 6 open ships, I still think 2 go to freshmen. I agree 3 is probably a stretch. That would still leave 4 spots for portal transfers 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Next year will be an almost entirely new roster. Let’s worry about that in a few months. As it’s now or never for this program and staff 

21 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Next year will be an almost entirely new roster. Let’s worry about that in a few months. As it’s now or never for this program and staff 

Agreed. From a fan’s perspective, the focus should definitely be on the upcoming season. Of course, the coaching staff doesn’t have that same luxury 

• Like 2

Every year, there is going to be huge roster turnover for most CAA teams. That's just the way it is and you need to win the transfer portal first; then recruiting HS players follows. We have no clue who is going to leave after this year other than Sylla, Russell and Holden. After that, there are a few guys that could graduate and might leave: Timberlake (already graduated), Thompson, Gibson, Chase Paar. So you could lose as many as seven players or more if Biekeu and Coleman are not a part of the future. Now that's the most pessimistic part. I see Gibson finishing up his eligibility at Towson and probably CT.

This is where recruiting HS players are important. Hicks, Williamson and May will be very crucial to the team's success in 2023-24 along with a bunch of transfers and possibly the 1-2 players they get in the fall of 2022. I think it's important to find future starters and possibly someone who can be a rotation player next season in the early recruiting class. After that, the transfer portal next season will be enormous unlike this season where they found two role players and a potential star.

Oh yeah, and then there's Ryan Conway. I should be seeing him on Thursday in a workout/practice. He's kind of important for the present and the future (even if that future is only a couple of years).