• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Ryan Conway is coming home

This was an absolute slam-dunk, no-brainer. When I posted that he was leaving Seton Hall two days ago and found out he went to Dulaney HS, I thought it was an extreme longshot, but a shot. Not figuring out his brother was on the staff. Watching his highlights from two years ago, he is what the Dr. ordered. Strong driver that can finish with either hand. Quick and shifty and decent size (6-1, 180). Good 3-point shooter who made 11 of 12 in one game and can score either off the dribble or just shoot a few feet beyond the arc. Is he Kyrie Irving with the ball? Not quite, but he's good. Is he Trae Young with his long range shooting? I hope he has better shot selection, but he like Gibby, can step back a few feet beyond the line. Can he be Tyson Walker? If he's 1/2 as good as Walker his first season, we're in good shape because we haven't had a difference-maker at point guard in a very long time. I'm talking all-conference player. Not saying he'll be that in his first season, but I think the potential is there. We have 3 All-CAA players returning. We don't need him to be a star right away. The future might be him and Williamson in the backcourt. 

I don't remember what everyone thought about Gibby at point guard last season, but I think most of us felt he was solid, but not a guy that could take over games, get to the rack and score or feed. Defensively, he obviously has his weaknesses, but you move him to the 2 and our backup point guard and Conway is the guy right away. Does he have to be great right away? Sure, he could be rusty and he's going to have to learn this level and his teammates. With Cam has a secondary ballhandler (sometimes primary), he doesn't have to be the only guy to create. It's also why I would prefer a combo guard as well to keep Nic at the 3. But either way, on paper. this is as close to a home run that we can hit on paper.

• Like 4

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/01/29/2021-point-guard-ryan-conway-plans-seton-hall-visit/

https://www.thesetonian.com/article/2020/05/ryan-conway-commits-to-seton-hall

https://nypost.com/2020/05/04/ryan-conway-three-star-guard-commits-to-reloading-seton-hall/

“He’s not sexy, he’s not like this high-level athlete, but when it comes to being a true facilitator, a true playmaker, a two-way guard who can defend — high intangibles, high character — he really personifies winning,”  Corey Evans from Rivals.com said. “He’s going to be someone that impacts that program for all four years.

10 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Yeah, true. Terrible pick up.

Yawn. Don’t put words in my mouth. That was never said or even inferred. 2+ years not doing anything, there is going to be rust/concern. 
we all talk on here how we would like a semi proven player than an unknown. Well this is that. He could and hopefully is really good and the missing piece to a team that is in a win now mode for the 2022-23 season 

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

With 3 open ships, and the lack of a returning quality PG, this is a good risk, to the extent it can even be categorized as a risk in the first place. Maybe he’ll have a little rust to knock off, but he’s been playing basketball for quite some time. If the talent is there, that shouldn’t be a problem, I wouldn’t think 

Agree on the point guard point. One was definetly needed 

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yawn. Don’t put words in my mouth. That was never said or even inferred. 2+ years not doing anything, there is going to be rust/concern. 
we all talk on here how we would like a semi proven player than an unknown. Well this is that. He could and hopefully is really good and the missing piece to a team that is in a win now mode for the 2022-23 season 

Agree on the point guard point. One was definetly needed 

Ok my bad then. But I can’t read minds. It sounded like you didn’t like the pickup because you said he was a wild card like the others and would be rusty. 

3 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Ok my bad then. But I can’t read minds. It sounded like you didn’t like the pickup because you said he was a wild card like the others and would be rusty. 

Like the pickup. There are questions on rust. But he could be a Tyson Walker like player or a total bust.  Hoping for him to work out here especially playing close to and with family.  Ooc might be tough for him coming off a long a break 

16 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Like the pickup. There are questions on rust. But he could be a Tyson Walker like player or a total bust.  Hoping for him to work out here especially playing close to and with family.  Ooc might be tough for him coming off a long a break 

Not worried about the long break. It's not due to injuries. He was redshirted his first season probably because they picked up point guard Bryce Aiken from Harvard, who eventually had a concussion that ended his season. These guys play hoops year-round, whether he was a practice last season or the AAU circuit or Summer League. Could he have issues early on in the season and maybe PS starts Gibby in November? Sure, he has a lot to pick up. As his HS coach Lochte said, he's working out and getting bigger and stronger. Saw that he was listed at 180, which is fine. Hicks came in around 160 and Gibby is probably 170ish. The physical part of the game is usually an issue for most freshmen. Since he has an extra year to grow, don't think it will be a big issue. Now running the team along with a bunch of veterans like Cam, CT and NT, will be interesting. Hopefully they can get accustomed to him during the summer.

I'd like to catch more AAU highlights. Like to see him against top competition. I'm asking anybody who is interested on this board in our team. Check out his highlights it takes 5 minutes to find out what kind of player he is and whether he can help. Will also be intrigued to see him go against Williamson to see where both guys are in terms of development.

16 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

so someone who hasn’t played in 2 years?. A wildcard like lots of our major transfers of the past.

I watched Gabe Stefanini who didn’t play last 2 seasons for Columbia due to injury and lost Covid season.  He started for USF.  I’m not worried about 2 years away.. this is a great pickup and again we don’t need him to be awesome from the day 1..  the non conference slate will prepare him for CAA play when we will really need his contributions.   
In my opinion this is a HUGE addition.