• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Datres

Hofstra debacle

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

This is demoralizing & spoils the previous 2 games on the homestand. Now we go into a hornets nest Saturday, against an undefeated conference foe in W&M. 

I assumed Morsell was injured. Guess not. 

Why, why, why not put the ball in ZM’s hands. Tell him drive with 5 seconds left. If he makes the shot, we win; if he gets fouled we maybe win; if he misses, it goes to OT and, as someone posted above, Hofstra was in serious trouble with fouls.

I suppose I’m pessimistic by nature, but im really pessimistic about this team going forward. We are who we are-win 1, lose lose 1, maybe finish anywhere from 3-6 in the conference. Hard to imagine running the table in the conference tournament. A program adrift, unable to win close games by in large, lacking real signature W’s & unable to get to the dance. Always “wait’ll next year.”  It’s sort of like Groundhog Day.

Did the same thing against ODU and he pulled up from 30 feet. He also had five turnovers. Bottom line is that Starr has to move in two feet and maybe he hits the rim with 2 seconds left instead of an airball with 6 secs.

18 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

I'm 5'7 and can't really shoot over anyone too much taller than me.  But sure, I'll get out there and give it a shot!!

I would imagine Skerry will also point at the defensive rebounding as a problem in this game.  Hofstra is definitely a team we don't match up well with when Gustys and Sabety are in the game.  There was a lot of volleyball on the boards and for once, we weren't getting some of those that we normally gobble up.

Agree with you on the press.  They put it on at the end of the first half, drew a turnover and a bucket and then we never saw it again.  For a team that wants to play faster, they didn't really live up to that ideal in these 3 home games.

There's no reason for this team to play that slow against Hofstra. Even though we should have at least 3 more buckets in transition, that is our game. We never trap anymore in the halfcourt, We never press in the fullcourt or zone press. We just hedge. 

I didn't understand why we didn't press UNCW and we won by 17. We didn't do it against Charleston but I get it. They have great guards. Other than Wright-Foreman, Hofstra doesn't have great guards. They have the two slowest centers in the league. This team needs to push the ball. Part of the problem is we don't get on the glass anymore. When you play 6-7 JG and 6-5 EK at the same time, it's kind of tough when you go against much bigger frontcourts. Then I noticed our big guards started crashing the boards.

I will not write about the atrocity of the defensive effort that there was no need to shy away from helping on Wright-Foreman time and time again.  I will not write about the lack of coaching on the final possession / zero IQ from Brian Starr, throwing up a CYO airball 3 with 8 seconds left and shot clock off in a tie game with Gustys fouled out and four of their other players including the aforementioned WF with 4 fouls.

However, I will speak about the coaching decision that cost us the game tonight and could cost a regular season title.  With 12 minutes left in the game Skerry subbed out Morsell who did not see the floor for the remainder of the game.  In those last 12 minutes, we made 4 fgs (all in the paint) while Mike sat visibly upset on the bench.  Newsflash Skerry, this did not work last year, and will certainly not work this year in his senior year.  Will not be surprised to see Mike and the team come out and lay an egg @ W&M less than 48 hours from now after this heartbreaking loss that certainly could have been avoided, officially kissing goodbye any chance at a #1 seed in a year where with our toughest roadtrip behind us and a wide open CAA (W&M is 5-0, but have played just 1 game against probably the top 7 teams).  Leaving Mike in the game we most certainly would have made more than 4 shots, 4! vs probably the WORST defensive team in the CAA after the under 12 media. And if not, he certainly would have been able to get to the line and make a few FT's.  This would have put us 3-2 tied for 2nd and setting up a game that wasn't necessarily must win vs a team who we are more talented than (but much worse coached then). But if we were to win would have put us in the drivers seat for a regular season title and the all important # 1 seed.

Unfortunately, as mentioned Skerry's ego got in the way, possibly derailing the season.  Will be very interesting to see how they respond Saturday and if Skerry can actually steal a win.  I can count on my hands the number of times in the 6.5 years Skerry has won a game where we had less talent. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE. 

2011-2012 - 1 win

2012-13 - banned from postseason, but still probably had the best team in the conference and unable to win the regular season - 2 good wins @ Vermont and @ Oregon State

2013-14 - by far the most talented in the conference and came up short - however did not win any game that we shouldn't have won

2014-15 - rebuilding year, still only good win was @ Hofstra

2015-16 - decent bounce back year, won the games we should have but only unexpected wins were @ W&M and home vs UNCW

2016-17 - once again won the games we were expected to, maybe won 1 that we weren't Iona?, but still were not able to get over the hump

2017-18 - could be the most talented team in the conference with Charleston, would not say that we have an unexpected win yet

That totals 7 games that Skerry has won that he shouldn't have in almost 7 years.  The point of this? 1. We all know Skerry can recruit (minus a PG) and get the guys to play hard for the most part, however you are not an in game coach, you have not proven that you can out coach someone and "stolen" wins have been few and far between.  The BS of keeping Mike on the bench tonight was beyond dumb, and could have devastating effects on the season. Should this have a spiraling effect like last year or miss out on regular season champs by 1 game like in 2013-14, please remember this game and make sure this mistake does not happen again trying to prove a point in a pivotal conference game.  Do not try and send a message to a senior, who if he hasn't responded to it by now, will not, that's just not the type of kid who he is and he is vital to the success that we want to get to. 

2. I think we are all appreciative of Skerry bringing a level of basketball to Towson that we have never seen before, however it is time to demand more than just being good and getting 20 wins.  We gave him a pass in 2013-14 not getting a regular season title or championship game appearance.  A pass was given in 15-16, thinking one year away, still exited with a disappointing quarterfinal game in the last year the tournament was in Baltimore.  Pass given once again last year despite being an upper class team (UNCW very talented).  This year ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, once again a senior led team, although Zane and Justin are both soph's, 4 seniors and them that have more than enough talent to capture that elusive title and spot in the dance.  I don't want to hear that Charleston is too good, because at the end of the day nights like tonight CANNOT happen if we want to get the #1 seed.  A game that we have in the bag, up 10, get in Mike arguably your 1a scorer when you're having trouble making shots and FT's and seal it up and go down to Williamsburg riding a 3 game winning streak looking to send a message that the Tigers are the team to beat in the CAA.  Instead we are left with the atrocity that happened tonight wondering how and if they will be able to bounce back on Saturday to make things interesting or just settle for a 3 seed again. Prove us wrong Skerry, outcoach Shaver, but I think we all know how this will go...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

I will not write about the atrocity of the defensive effort that there was no need to shy away from helping on Wright-Foreman time and time again.  I will not write about the lack of coaching on the final possession / zero IQ from Brian Starr, throwing up a CYO airball 3 with 8 seconds left and shot clock off in a tie game with Gustys fouled out and four of their other players including the aforementioned WF with 4 fouls.

However, I will speak about the coaching decision that cost us the game tonight and could cost a regular season title.  With 12 minutes left in the game Skerry subbed out Morsell who did not see the floor for the remainder of the game.  In those last 12 minutes, we made 4 fgs (all in the paint) while Mike sat visibly upset on the bench.  Newsflash Skerry, this did not work last year, and will certainly not work this year in his senior year.  Will not be surprised to see Mike and the team come out and lay an egg @ W&M less than 48 hours from now after this heartbreaking loss that certainly could have been avoided, officially kissing goodbye any chance at a #1 seed in a year where with our toughest roadtrip behind us and a wide open CAA (W&M is 5-0, but have played just 1 game against probably the top 7 teams).  Leaving Mike in the game we most certainly would have made more than 4 shots, 4! vs probably the WORST defensive team in the CAA after the under 12 media. And if not, he certainly would have been able to get to the line and make a few FT's.  This would have put us 3-2 tied for 2nd and setting up a game that wasn't necessarily must win vs a team who we are more talented than (but much worse coached then). But if we were to win would have put us in the drivers seat for a regular season title and the all important # 1 seed.

Unfortunately, as mentioned Skerry's ego got in the way, possibly derailing the season.  Will be very interesting to see how they respond Saturday and if Skerry can actually steal a win.  I can count on my hands the number of times in the 6.5 years Skerry has won a game where we had less talent. THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE. 

2011-2012 - 1 win

2012-13 - banned from postseason, but still probably had the best team in the conference and unable to win the regular season - 2 good wins @ Vermont and @ Oregon State

2013-14 - by far the most talented in the conference and came up short - however did not win any game that we shouldn't have won

2015-16 - decent bounce back year, won the games we should have but only unexpected wins were @ W&M and home vs UNCW

2016-17 - once again won the games we were expected to, maybe won 1 that we weren't Iona?, but still were not able to get over the hump

2017-18 - could be the most talented team in the conference with Charleston, would not say that we have an unexpected win yet

That totals 7 games that Skerry has won that he shouldn't have in almost 7 years.  The point of this? 1. We all know Skerry can recruit (minus a PG) and get the guys to play hard for the most part, however you are not an in game coach, you have not proven that you can out coach someone and "stolen" wins have been few and far between.  The BS of keeping Mike on the bench tonight was beyond dumb, and could have devastating effects on the season. Should this have a spiraling effect like last year or miss out on regular season champs by 1 game like in 2013-14, please remember this game and make sure this mistake does not happen again trying to prove a point in a pivotal conference game.  Do not try and send a message to a senior, who if he hasn't responded to it by now, will not, that's just not the type of kid who he is and he is vital to the success that we want to get to. 

2. I think we are all appreciative of Skerry bringing a level of basketball to Towson that we have never seen before, however it is time to demand more than just being good and getting 20 wins.  We gave him a pass in 2013-14 not getting a regular season title or championship game appearance.  A pass was given in 15-16, thinking one year away, still exited with a disappointing quarterfinal game in the last year the tournament was in Baltimore.  Pass given once again last year despite being an upper class team (UNCW very talented).  This year ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, once again a senior led team, although Zane and Justin are both soph's, 4 seniors and them that have more than enough talent to capture that elusive title and spot in the dance.  I don't want to hear that Charleston is too good, because at the end of the day nights like tonight CANNOT happen if we want to get the #1 seed.  A game that we have in the bag, up 10, get in Mike arguably your 1a scorer when you're having trouble making shots and FT's and seal it up and go down to Williamsburg riding a 3 game winning streak looking to send a message that the Tigers are the team to beat in the CAA.  Instead we are left with the atrocity that happened tonight wondering how and if they will be able to bounce back on Saturday to make things interesting or just settle for a 3 seed again. Prove us wrong Skerry, outcoach Shaver, but I think we all know how this will go...

I'll disagree with one major flaw and that's the fact that we don't have the most talented team in the conference. Not even close. We don't have guards like Charleston or shooters like W&M, who also has the best big man in the league in Knight. We might have the deepest team in the league but that's it. I picked them third for a reason and they might not reach that level. We are a small team with our second-best player now relegated to not playing in crunch time in two closes losses. And our second-best player is one of the most mystifying players I've ever covered. We have no backup point guard and we have no real backup center. Gorham is coming on offensively but he has a combined four rebounds over his last two games. He's really a combo forward. 

IDK. I thnk we all tend to overreact after bad losses. I thought we got 2-1 in this homestand with a loss to CofC. This one hurts bad. But we started last year off even worse. And after W&M on the road, well, it's not easier but we are more "talented" than the rest of our schedule.

Also, I picked Elon over us not because they were more talented but they have better shooters and five returning starters. The loss of Moto and Davis looms large because those two guys were at least options late in games. Even if they couldn't make shots, they could get to the line. I think our best hope in that dept. is that Gorham and Zane go two-man and Justin becomes a player the defense has to be concerned with. That will open it up for Zane and hopefully Morsell.

Saturday now takes on the feel of being a must win. Lose & we’re 2-4 & W&M would be 6-0. While catching them wouldn’t be impossible, it would be quite the uphill battle. I’ll hope for the best but I fully expect the worst. Would love to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Royal Tiger said:

2011-2012 - 1 win

Great post.  Surprised some are criticizing skerry  here. He and rob are off limits.  And someone sticking up for mike??!!  Welcome. Most everyone here dislikes him. My god he needs to be on the court especially at the end. He is clutch.

just like rob, skerry has taken this team far but i just don’t know if we ever will take the next step 

5 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Saturday now takes on the feel of being a must win. Lose & we’re 2-4 & W&M would be 6-0. While catching them wouldn’t be impossible, it would be quite the uphill battle. I’ll hope for the best but I fully expect the worst. Would love to be proven wrong. 

The way we defend the 3? Against a legit big man?  Tribe by 25. 

We have not won a road game all year

1 minute ago, TuTigers2012 said:

The way we defend the 3? Against a legit big man?  Tribe by 25. 

We have not won a road game all year

That's the way to be optimistic. Tribe shot 8-of-26 against JMU from 3-pt range shot they'll probably shoot 18 of 26. But seriously, they don't defend. We should put up 80 on them but might give up 85.

I concede a pitiful loss like tonight makes me extremely pessimistic, but you might be right. If W&M comes out hot, we could be run out of the building before we know what hits us. Or, my bigger fear, another gut wrenching L.  It will be telling how we respond to tonight’s fiasco with a quick turnaround on the road vs perhaps the best team in the conference.